Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 05:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,036 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the USA to for a new job in Boston. As I can telecommute, I would like like to take advantage and move a distance from Boston to save on real estate. I would like to be near the train line that feeds into the south station in MA. I was looking at Providence RI as a potential location. Any advice? What is real estate like? My daughter is in high school and I'd like her to continue to get a good education. We like quiet living but still be close to things to do. How does Providence relate to suburbs of Boston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 06:41 AM

605 posts, read 1,092,663 times
North Attleboro Ma. is very nice, most area's are well maintained, clean, and organized. Taxes are less than Rhode Island too. I think if you take a day, and drive through both area's, you will see the stark difference for yourself.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:52 AM

207 posts, read 445,185 times
I second north attleboro...it's close to the T so you could take the train into boston and the schools are much better than providence.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:14 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
There is a more convenient train station right in Attleboro itself. Also there is one in South Attleboro on the Pawtucket line. The Attleboro schools are much better than North Attleboro and Attleboro is very sports oriented for teens. North, South and Attleboro itself are three separate cities/towns. Neighborhoods in Attleboro are much more desireable. Please do some homework before deciding. Access to Rt. 95 is also easier from Rt 152 or Rt. 123. Just a bit north of Attleboro near Rt. 152 is Plainville, another nice town, as is the town of Norton.

A nice 2 bedroom apartment within the Attleboro/Plainville/Norton area will run about $1200 to $1500 a month.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:49 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
quote: "The Attleboro schools are much better than North Attleboro"

What school ratings are you looking at?

North Attleboro is a somewhat sprawling town ringed by heavily commercialized districts such as RTE 1. Avoiding the commercial strips in and out of town is difficult. Attleboro itself is very blue collar and has been used the past few years as a resettlement area for recent immigrants which has changed the character of the town quite a bit.

I'd go farther north if commuting to Boston- or you might look at Franklin, Ma.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
quote: "The Attleboro schools are much better than North Attleboro"

What school ratings are you looking at?

North Attleboro is a somewhat sprawling town ringed by heavily commercialized districts such as RTE 1. Avoiding the commercial strips in and out of town is difficult. Attleboro itself is very blue collar and has been used the past few years as a resettlement area for recent immigrants which has changed the character of the town quite a bit.

I'd go farther north if commuting to Boston- or you might look at Franklin, Ma.
You are way off base with those comparisons. North Attleboro is more blue collar and South Attleboro bordering Pawtucket could be called a "resettlement" area. And saying that Attleboro is a "resettlement area" for recent immigrants, is blatantly not true.

The term "resettlement area" would give an outsider, especially one who is relocating to the U.S., an incorrect vision of what type of gentrification he/she will find in certain areas. The Attleboro sports teams are always in the news. Three of my nephews were born and brought up in Attleboro. One graduated from high school there and is attending West Point. Another is entering Yale this year. Imagine what they could have done if they were educated somewhere else.

For the OP: Franklin is a lovely town, very easy access to Boston if needed via Rt. 495; but also a very expensive town to live in. It is just north of the Cumberland RI border. I am not familiar with the Franklin school system, however, but in that area there are also several other nice New England towns, but they get more expensive cost of living the closer they get to the Boston "commuter" ring areas.

Seekonk MA may also be an area to consider as it sits just between RI and MA and is a pretty town and has a rural feel, and possibly a lower cost of living than towns closer to Boston. You need to contact a good experienced Realtor in a few of the areas you are considering to get up to date information on housing and schools in each area. Realtors are prohibited by federal law, however, in the United States from discussing sensitive topics relating to racial, religious, gender issues regarding the makeup of neighborhoods.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 08-20-2011 at 08:19 AM..

Old 08-20-2011, 08:54 AM

Read this to judge who is talking through their hat.....

Immigrants change face of the city - The Sun Chronicle Online - Reports

Old 08-20-2011, 10:13 AM

According to the article, which is a very good article, they are not refugees fleeing persecution , and according to the article, they are contributing to society, and are not vagrants or criminals. Neither is it a recent phenomenon.

Quoting Attorney Voltera: `` I don't think people here waste a lot of energy on foolish things like racial differences or hate,'' said Max Volterra, a prominent attorney and former Attleboro state representative who immigrated to the United States in 1938 with his parents, fleeing Mussolini's Italy.

In the 1960s, Volterra was part of a human relations group that tried to promote more diversity in the city by trying to attract families of color. They failed.

`` But that seems to be coming true on its own, now,'' he said.

They are families purchasing and improving properties in the $300,000 price range, and are either citizens now or working toward citizenship. That can hardly be a bad thing. The small number of immigrants that make up the population of Attleboro is 11%. Immigration and naturalization is legal in this country, and legal immigrants are welcomed and thrive most everywhere in the United States.

Attleboro is a thriving, family friendly, low-crime, progressive city. Not a dumping ground for undesireables.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:11 PM

Let's let the OP read the article to see what it actually says.

Further, every school rating I've seen rates N. Attleboro higher than Attleboro.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:36 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
There is a more convenient train station right in Attleboro itself. Also there is one in South Attleboro on the Pawtucket line. The Attleboro schools are much better than North Attleboro and Attleboro is very sports oriented for teens. North, South and Attleboro itself are three separate cities/towns. Neighborhoods in Attleboro are much more desireable. Please do some homework before deciding. Access to Rt. 95 is also easier from Rt 152 or Rt. 123. Just a bit north of Attleboro near Rt. 152 is Plainville, another nice town, as is the town of Norton.

A nice 2 bedroom apartment within the Attleboro/Plainville/Norton area will run about $1200 to $1500 a month.
QuilterChick you are wayyyy off. First off South Attleboro IS NOT a seperate city, it is part of the City of Attleboro. As others have mentioned, the Attleboro schools are in no way better than NAs. No statistics will tell you so, whatever success stories you may be able to reference. And the part about Attleboro neighborhoods being more desirable? Have you actually been to both places? Attleboro's downtown and the East Side are by far the roughest neighborhoods in the area. They are no and always have been. Sure there are nice parts as well but not as nice as North Attleborough's. No real ghetto in NA either. Just look up the demographics info. North Attleborough is clearly the more desirable town.

Quote:
You are way off base with those comparisons. North Attleboro is more blue collar .
No it is overwhelmingly middle-class. Attleboro is the more "blue-collar" of the two.

Quote:
South Attleboro bordering Pawtucket could be called a "resettlement" area.
Sort of true. It also has many settled families going back 3 generations or more.

Quote:
And saying that Attleboro is a "resettlement area" for recent immigrants, is blatantly not true.
Take a walk down Pine Street.

Quote:
Seekonk MA may also be an area to consider as it sits just between RI and MA and is a pretty town and has a rural feel, and possibly a lower cost of living than towns closer to Boston..
I second Seekonk and also Rehoboth. If you live in N. Seekonk you are very close to the South Attleboro MBTA station as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree
North Attleboro is a somewhat sprawling town ringed by heavily commercialized districts such as RTE 1. Avoiding the commercial strips in and out of town is difficult.
It has suburban, rural and old dense in-town neighborhoods. It has a lovely downtown, Rte. 1 kind of slices down the middle of town. That is really the only "heavy commercial district". Once you know the local roads it is very easy to avoid.

To the OP I have ACTUALLY lived in the area so feel free to send more questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island