U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 09-13-2011, 07:54 PM

23 posts, read 17,738 times
Default Native perspectives?

Hi!

I'm from Miami, FL and am curious about Providence, RI. What is it like for young people? Would recent graduate grads have decent opportunities for internships and jobs? I'm interested in the atmosphere of RI and what it's like. I have visited Boston before (beautiful!) and have become recently interested in the New England area itself. Any information about Providence would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-14-2011, 05:44 PM

567 posts, read 429,389 times
Quote:
I'm interested in the atmosphere of RI and what it's like.
Rhode Island is a hurting little state...pension liability is at the heart of it's pain. It's many many many union state workers are being pit against the non-union citizens. Rhode Island is a state with horrendous infrastructure problems, terrible roads, weeds and grass breaking through curbs and walkways. Now...it's not like this everywhere, but too many locations to ignore.
Property taxes are very high, Rhode Island is last in the country in Business friendliness. It's also last in population growth, it's population is stagnant. I tell you these negatives to let you know...should you want to put roots down, in the form of real-estate, or a business venture, or even a nice car, be advised, and see the above.
On the positive side, we have a beautiful Coast Line, beaches included. (Even being from Miami you should not be disappointed.) RI has some respected schools of higher learning, Brown, PC, URI, RI School of Design etc. We have great food, cool restaurants, and some nice Taverns. Oh yes...Newport!
Many citizens and non-citizens of diverse ethnic groups. As for the city of Providence, others I am sure will fill you in.

Unread 09-15-2011, 06:00 PM

66 posts, read 110,826 times
I agree with all of the above. Parts of RI are extremely beautiful. It has great potential. It always has. However, its economics are perched on the side of a hill that regularly slides out from under it. Then gets built back up only to slide down again.

I would emphasize - on the pragmatic side of things - that in comparison to Florida many, many things are more costly here and as such it would be prudent to nail down a job firmly before coming up here. This is an expensive place to live even when you're working and you don't get much for your dollar.

Keep in mind that I do not have a barometer on how Rhode Island compares to other states socially from my own experience. However, it has been reported by others that if you are a single person New Englanders and Rhode Islanders in particular have been said to be somewhat parochial and stick to their own - in other words not the most outgoing folks in the world when it comes to new people.

Unread 09-15-2011, 08:05 PM

26 posts, read 16,724 times
I can't speak for the rest of RI, but I've been a Providence resident for over 20+ years and still live here.

Providence has lots of different places to drink and grab food. Many of my friends who've been to NYC, New Orleans, Austin TX, etc. are impressed by the variety of places to grab something to eat.

We also have several colleges in the city (Brown, RISD, J&W, PC, RIC) that their is a huge influx of young people in the city. If your sociable and/or like doing volunteer work you'll meet plenty of people and have lots to do.

However, Providence and RI in general isn't an easy place to find work, but It can happen depending on your skill sets. My girlfriend has a degree in English and found a decent paying job at a law firm, but It took a about 2-3 months. Another friend studied Biology and after a few months found work in a local Biotech.

If you have a college degree in a desirable industry and are patient you can find something either in RI or MA. The reason unemployment is high in Providence and RI is because many people here worked in manufacturing all there life and do not have the skill set to compete in modern industries.

Unread 09-16-2011, 06:40 AM

151 posts, read 97,359 times
It is not necessarily true that if you have a college degree you will be fine. My husband is a school teacher and never could find a job teaching in RI, even with a masters degree and 12 years experience. A friend of ours is an architect and commutes to boston daily. I went back to school for PT and had no issues. So it really depends on your field and what is available in RI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island