Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 07:05 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco917 View Post
Your right...just ask the citizens of Central Falls.
Central Falls is a town within the State of Rhode Island. Rhode Island is a State the article was written about. And the reason was because it was in the Providence Journal, which is the flagship paper for the state.

If you logged onto the Tampa Tribune, or the Pittsburgh Gazette, the articles would have focused on how bad it is in those states.

Would you like links to other papers all over the country so you can read about places besides Rhode Island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 02:14 PM

605 posts, read 1,092,968 times
I will concede that each major newspaper for each individual state probably has negative points to make on there home states. After all... this Country "in general" is in a seriously desperate situation.

It is my opinion that the state of RI is one of the worst. Please, if you will, name a few states you feel are in worst financial condition than RI. when you include our pension liability, and local infrastructure condition. I really would be interested in hearing an honest response. (seriously...no sarcasm in my voice) maybe Louisiana?

In a recent poll 76% Rhode Islanders feel the state is going in the wrong direction. I feel, that no matter who conducted this poll...liberal, Democrat, Republican, red, blue, or pink, that percentage is a staggering statement.

Quote:
Central Falls is a town within the State of Rhode Island. Rhode Island is a State the article was written about. And the reason was because it was in the Providence Journal, which is the flagship paper for the state.
You are 100% correct on this point...how many other states can make a similar statement, in this Country, as to a City simply going bankrupt?

Old 09-22-2011, 02:48 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
According to this, some 42 states have budget shortfalls...

States Continue to Feel Recession

Actually, didn't RI announce a surplus for the year? think I posted on it- but we can all afford to be just a little skeptical of the accounting....

Last edited by Hollytree; 09-22-2011 at 03:22 PM..

Old 09-22-2011, 07:47 PM

688 posts, read 2,134,855 times
I believe it would be wise to keep in mind that even though we enjoy a surplus a pretty large part of that surplus is due to the past availability of federal recovery funds which have dried up at this point in time. I'm not too confident that the next fiscal year will look very good.

All politics aside, we should eventually come together as Rhode Islanders and take a look at finding some valid solutions to deal with the crumbling infrastructure. It's not only the roads and public transportation, it's also lack of funds for doing necessary work on the water supply and many, many important programs spanning all branches of state government.

I understand that just raising taxes cannot be the answer and that it would be a good idea to start dealing with issues where the state bleeds money left and right. I do wonder though if people are ready to get off the partisan soap box and commit to rebuilding - together.

We'll see.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:51 PM

62 posts, read 101,534 times
I was born and raised in RI. (Coventry, Foster) In 95 life had me moving south. I finally got back to visit after 16 years away and I am sorry to say that after seeing what the last 16 years has done to my home state I don't think I will return any time soon. Crumbling roads, closed up businesses everywhere you turn, neighborhoods in severe decline and way too many people out of work. How much longer will you let power hungry politicians chase good businesses and jobs out of your country? Here's a novel thought; how about we, the people actually start voting for people that actually wants to promote and grow our nation's businesses? After all, if you chase out all of the businesses, where the f@#K are we, the people actually suppose to work? Don't believe Obama, we just can't afford to give every American plus God knows how many illegal aliens a government job!
Send the illegals back from where they came. Allowing them to stay is an insult to every immigrant that did it the right way. If the Portuguese immigrants could learn English back in the 60's and 70's then the Mexicans can do it now.

BTW, the only group of Americans that are entitled to anything from the government is our Military Veterans. After all, they earned it by serving their country. Think you are entitled? You are entitled to get off of your lazy butt and become a productive member of society.

God Bless

Old 09-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Ody

Location: Right there, next time out, look I could be right next ;or in front of you
136 posts, read 287,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSpy View Post
I believe it would be wise to keep in mind that even though we enjoy a surplus a pretty large part of that surplus is due to the past availability of federal recovery funds which have dried up at this point in time. I'm not too confident that the next fiscal year will look very good.

All politics aside, we should eventually come together as Rhode Islanders and take a look at finding some valid solutions to deal with the crumbling infrastructure. It's not only the roads and public transportation, it's also lack of funds for doing necessary work on the water supply and many, many important programs spanning all branches of state government.

I understand that just raising taxes cannot be the answer and that it would be a good idea to start dealing with issues where the state bleeds money left and right. I do wonder though if people are ready to get off the partisan soap box and commit to rebuilding - together.

We'll see.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
I do wonder though if people are ready to get off the partisan soap box and commit to rebuilding - together.
Well said...if we could get the public sector unions to release there death grip on the state...
(even FDR thought public sector unions was a terrible idea.)

if we could get Government to become simply "helpful" to there local entrepreneurs, it would be a nice first step. By helpful, I mean, walk them through the government "mine-field" of rules and regulations by hand if necessary, (like seeing the same person in succession would be an improvement)

These thoughts are nice to "dream" about friends...but I've lived in this state for my entire life... i don't see it happening.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:00 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
It won't happen if the people don't rise up and demand change.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Last edited by Hollytree; 09-23-2011 at 09:30 AM..

Old 09-23-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
It won't happen if the people don't rise up and demand change.
Nice saying Holly, but numerically impossible. Sometimes you just have to face the hard facts. It is...what it is.
We can't ignore the true fact...many are voting with their feet.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:22 AM

583 posts, read 1,324,587 times
One thing that keeps RI down is lack of education. RI ranks 35th of all states in terms of population 16+ that graduated high school. That's terrible for the Northeast. And the bottom line is -Wall Street and NAFTA caused the housing crisis and sent our jobs oversees. In Alaska they hate they Federal gov't, yet they are the state with the largest number of people that recieve cash assistance from the gov't, as in a handout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island