Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2007, 12:35 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times

Advertisements

This fall I will be applying to graduate school. I'm trying to shrink the long list of possibilities to a short list, and need to learn about everyday living in the areas where the schools I'm considering are located. One school on my list of possibilities is Brown. My student budget probably will be too tight for me to own a car, so I need to know whether it's possible to find, within walkable distance of the campus, decent housing at a price that is affordable on a typical student budget, and all the businesses needed for food, personal supplies, and basic entertainment.

I'm sure quite a few students do not have cars and manage just fine, but it's likely that a lot of them live either on campus or in rental property off campus in neighborhoods with many students. I'm older than even the typical graduate student, so I really need to live in a place that's free of a heavy student population and the nosiy parties that go with it. It would be very helpful to know whether there are quiet areas within walking distance of the campus. I'm pretty active physically, so for me, "walkable" can be more than a couple of blocks. The physical exertion of a long walk around town is not an issue. On the other hand, I don't want to have to walk such long distances everywhere I go that the time would add up and really cut into my day.

I'd appreciate hearing about anything people familiar with the area think it would be useful to know, but I'm especially interested in thoughts on the primary issue of having all the basic requirements within walking distance. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 04:56 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
Downtown Providence has much close to Brown for much- I am not sure what Food Supermarkets are nearby- but public transportation would easily get you to one easily and quickly. Besides this, just about everything you mentioned is walking distance from Brown.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:55 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Agreed. Providence is an extremely compact, walkable city. When my family and I vacationed in the city several years ago, we were amazed that we were able to access so many amenities and neighborhoods in such a brief amount of time. We walked around Benefit Street near the Rhode Island School of Design, the downtown area near the canal and Providence Place, Thayer Street and the area surrounding Brown University, and the Atwell Avenue/Federal Hill area. It truly is an outstanding city---it even puts Scranton to shame!

Old 08-21-2007, 12:17 PM

688 posts, read 2,134,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
My student budget probably will be too tight for me to own a car, so I need to know whether it's possible to find, within walkable distance of the campus, decent housing at a price that is affordable on a typical student budget, and all the businesses needed for food, personal supplies, and basic entertainment.
There are grocery stores within walkable distance around Brown. You'll also be able to get to all kinds of entertainment venues. Things you won't have easy access to are big box stores like Walmart, HomeDepot etc, but you probably won't have to go there all that often anyways.

The decent housing is tough though. Keep in mind that Brown University is in a rather nice part of town so affordable living spaces might be tough to find, especially if student housing is not an option for you. What kind of budget are you looking at?

Old 08-21-2007, 09:20 PM

Thanks for all the info, everyone! This sounds very workable. I was guessing it would be, since Providence is a city, and you'd expect there to be a variety of housing options and businesses around. Still, before including Brown on my list of possibilities, it's good to hear from people who really know what's available in the immediate neighborhood.

G-Spy, regarding my budget, I would be looking at a fellowship or assistantship that would pay a stipend in the mid teens for the academic year of 8-1/2 to nine months.

Thanks again for the helpful info. Take care, all.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:26 AM

5 posts, read 18,270 times
Try these links:

RIPTA, for bus/trolley transport: RIPTA:

Moped/Scooter dealer near the East Side: JAVASPEED SCOOTERS (http://www.javaspeed.net/root/index.html - broken link)

Old 08-28-2007, 08:00 PM

Thanks for the info, everyone. I get a pretty good feel for the place from what you've told me. Providence sounds like a workable possibility. Thanks again, and take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: