Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2011, 03:17 AM

233 posts, read 417,680 times

Advertisements

I found out that I have a possible job opening that I could take in E. Providence so I looked up the area. Crime's fine, it's on the water, and the houses are very cheap. What am I not seeing? There must be something wrong for it to be a perfect town and have cheap houses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 06:04 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sminthian View Post
I found out that I have a possible job opening that I could take in E. Providence so I looked up the area. Crime's fine, it's on the water, and the houses are very cheap. What am I not seeing? There must be something wrong for it to be a perfect town and have cheap houses?
It is not "on the water". Very little of the land area is on the water and that is one of the nicer areas. The other area of EP that is nice would be Rumford, towards the Pawtucket area. (Stay away from Pawtucket though.) There is a bike path along that part of EP off Veterans Mem. Parkway, if you look up RI bike paths. Otherwise, most of EP is very crowded, high density, an old town with many multi family homes, apartments, etc. You would have to check with police departments in any town you consider as to crime areas. Kent Heights off Pawtucket Av. is a fairly decent area, and out towards the area called "Riverside" which is right next to Barrington RI.

The plus is that it is well located for highway access, and close to Providence if you need to work in the "big" city.

If you want a less crowded area and are going to work in EP, you can always live over the border in MA. Seekonk, Rehoboth.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:37 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,888,050 times
I think EP is highly underrated. It is, except for the center of town in which there is a concentration of poor folk (the Watchemoket area), low density and suburban. However, a new park near Watchemoket facing the East Side, has been developed.

The Terrace section has nice houses on the water. There is a great park called Rose Larissa near there (across from the old carousel still in operation) that is waterfront. Other waterfront areas are in Bullocks Point, which is an older summer colony on a point near the water of very small houses now occupied year round mostly by poorer folk, but in recent years, some places have been torn down and larger homes built. It also has a great waterfront park with a public boat ramp.

The East bay bike path (in parts spectacular) goes all along the waterfront all the way to Bristol. Long term plans are to develop the waterfront section now currently for sale where oil tank farms used to be.

Other good sections are Rumford which includes the Bridgham Farm area near Seekonk where houses with reservoir views are upwards of 800K- most of Rumford being much more affordable though. Riverside has lots of nice houses- though many tend to be smaller in square footage- but currently very affordable. Riverside borders Barrington, a pricier community. EP has become an alternative for those who cannot afford East Side houses.

The crime rate for the city is one of the lowest in RI and the police dept are very active and visible.

The area has a number of Portuguese residents, most well assimilated. (I don't think Portuguese are immigrating anymore). A downside is that the public schools, with the exception of Myron Francis Elementary, are OK but not highly rated. It does have Gordon, Providence Country Day, and St Mary's Bay View- all private schools.

One of the area's biggest attributes besides affordability, is how close in it is to Providence for commuters- only 10 min or so and little to no freeway driving required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island