U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 02:03 PM

23 posts, read 40,926 times
Default Photography - where/what to shoot in RI?

Hi all. Just wondering what to shoot around here. Open to all ideas. Any good nature walks? There's got to be some old buildings (like Slater Mill). Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 11:46 AM

3 posts, read 5,381 times
I don't live up there, just in this forum out of curiosity since I'm contemplating a move to somewhere cheaper to live than LI, NY, but I do participate in a photo forum that has a number of RI members. On the forum they have a "share where you shoot" section which gives locations and sample images, here is the link to the New England section which has numerous RI entries: New England also feel free to join the forum, it's a great bunch of people (we were actually just up in RI this past weekend for a bbq that the forum owner threw, good times)

Old 10-24-2011, 04:33 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,250,251 times
Check out the photo thread on this forum for some ideas.

You can't beat Newport for old buildings. Tons of photo ops in the old city center, along the Cliff Walk or in the mansions themselves.

For more old architecture, wander around College Hill in Providence. Thomas Street is particularly picturesque.

For smaller villages, check out Wickford, Tiverton, and Little Compton.

I also love Jamestown. Some nice places all around the island, especially Beavertail State Park.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:57 AM

71 posts, read 92,954 times
Can't recommend much outside of PVD as all that nature stuff bores me. I'm an architectural/street scape night shooter and downtown PVD has incredible photo opportunities.
Attached Thumbnails
Photography - where/what to shoot in RI?-p8090013.jpg  

Last edited by AdmirableAlfie; 10-26-2011 at 12:05 PM..

Old 10-26-2011, 01:41 PM

3,943 posts, read 5,164,433 times
Loads of nature trails......

Visit Rhode Island :: What to Do :: Nature Trails

Old 10-28-2011, 09:22 AM

23 posts, read 40,926 times
Thanks all, appreciate the input. :-)

Old 10-28-2011, 03:35 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,528,781 times
Plenty to shoot at for such a small state.

Journey over Rhode Island - YouTube

Old 10-29-2011, 02:01 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,399,615 times
Providence is quite picturesque.

DownCity,

Benefit St for sure,

lots of neat little spots and hidden treasures all over the city and especially on the East Side.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:18 PM

7,016 posts, read 6,694,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason401 View Post
Hi all. Just wondering what to shoot around here. Open to all ideas. Any good nature walks? There's got to be some old buildings (like Slater Mill). Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch!
I love Swan Point Cemetery in east side Providence...no not east Prov...east side up by Wayland Square...and Wayland Square and India Point Park are wonderful too!

Old 11-02-2011, 11:20 AM

5,338 posts, read 9,114,417 times
The Slater's Mill area of Pawtucket is great... especially this time of year. Also take a walk around downtown Pawtucket while you're over there... lots of great architecture and vistas. I'd suggest going REALLY early in the AM (on a Sunday would be best) so as not to really have to worry about a lot of traffic. When I do early morning shooting, I try to get there before the sun's up and catch those first rays of light as I walk. There's a waterfall at Slater's Mill which can make for a great longer exposure (to get that silky water effect) in lower light too.

College Hill in Providence is really full of stuff to shoot. Benefit Street has so many gorgeous old homes. My favorite vista there is Prospect Park. Stunning view of downtown PVD and surrounds.

Bristol makes for an excellent location too. Downtown Bristol is obviously wonderful, but there are some nice shots to be had at Lloyd State park. I even got a great bridge shot from Roger Williams University one evening.

Newport has tons to see. Ocean Drive and the mansions and the mansions along Bellevue Ave are easy targets. Also walk around Washington Square (and any of the side streets in that area), Trinity Park, Bowens Wharf, Goat Island (behind the Hyatt), Thames Street (downtown and lower Thames), and Fort Adams. Tons to see.

I love Little Compton and Tiverton too. Some great colonial farmland down there to shoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island