U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-25-2011, 12:46 PM

24 posts, read 80,812 times
Default Moving to Barrington

We (My wife, I and our 3 years old) are thinking about moving to barrington and would like to know more about the town before we make our final decision.

Everybody says that the school system are the best in RI, but friends also told me that the education system of RI is worse than MA and CT, so even the best school system may not at the same level as an average\lower 25 percent of MA or CT, is that true?

Is there any "bad" (relatively speaking) area in that town that we better avoid? Hampden Meadows, Sowams, Rumstick, Nayatt, Alfred Drowne, Primrose Hill, and Bay Spring among them, what are the worst areas? (no offense intended) but is the area that close to the east providence border the bad area - since other areas are surrounded by water. Or they are all good areas.

Are most parents in Barrington Brown Professors, Lawyers or Doctors that with a stay in home mum? My wife and I are both working - we definitely will try our best to involve into kid's school but do not want get into a very competition environment regarding parent involvement.

Thanks in advance
-rockdale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-25-2011, 01:07 PM

3,545 posts, read 4,298,748 times
quote:"so even the best school system may not at the same level as an average\lower 25 percent of MA or CT, is that true? "

No, that is not true!

The most expensive areas are Rumstick- especially Rumstick Point- and Nyatt. Bay Spring is a former beach colony with smaller homes near the water.

Barrington is a nice clean suburban community. If that's what you want- I'm sure you'll like the town very much. It's not totally suburban- it does have a town center and a central shopping district, albeit small.

You'll find a mix of people from professionals to working class. The area off and around Maple Ave was originally settled by Italian immigrants and some are still there. Hampden Meadows has less proximity to the main part of the town.

Home prices range from the 200s to millions near the water. Property taxes are high because of the school system.

Unread 10-25-2011, 05:25 PM

780 posts, read 1,042,047 times
Bay Spring is considered the lesser of the "hoods" in Barrington. Small homes, lots, etc. This is really the area on the other side of the former railroad tracks, now converted to the East Bay Bikeway. But, they overlook the upper bay and nearby cove and thus still command $300,000 for water property. Even properties along the East Providence border command higher prices. My favorite areas are along Alfred Drowne Road(West Barrington). It is an older area of town with large Victorians and just a very slow feel to it. I also like the Ferry Lane area. Winthrop, Lantern, Owings Stone Road are all great family areas with again older homes.

Unread 10-25-2011, 05:39 PM

We wanted somewhere that can easy access to the highway (I195). So mostly we are thinking Primrose Hill, Hampden Medows and Sowams (access the I195 via a backroad?). Rumstick and Nayatt might a little bit too south?We visited there once and yes we kind like its village feeling. We are not a big fan for the waterfront properties - one is we can not afford it and another we do not like the humidity. another question, the town is surrounded by waters, is wet basement a big issue there? Our budget is between 300k to 550k and wanted something newer (after 90's), is that a reasonable range for a decent property there?

Also, checked the map there is nothing but a shopping plaza in that town, is that the only place that things happen there? Are there any shopping area/restaurants nearby or we have to go to downtown providence?

Unread 10-25-2011, 08:01 PM

Last question first. Plenty of cafes and restaurants along County Road(114) toward the shopping area. Continuing down Route 114 you will find great local restaurants in both Warren and Bristol. Fast Food? Nearby Route 6 in Seekonk has Mcdonald's, Burger King, Five Brothers, etc. and it also has the big box stores.

Primrose Hill is an older part of town. Hampton Meadows/ New Meadow Road and Sowams Road has newer construction especially North of Kent Street. Access to I-195 would be thru Barneyville Road or New Meadow Road into Massachusetts.

I don't know of any area that is subject to wet basements. A singular home might have a problem but that would come out during a home inspection and disclosure.

Unread 10-26-2011, 07:07 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,852,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdale View Post
We wanted somewhere that can easy access to the highway (I195). So mostly we are thinking Primrose Hill, Hampden Medows and Sowams (access the I195 via a backroad?). Rumstick and Nayatt might a little bit too south?We visited there once and yes we kind like its village feeling. We are not a big fan for the waterfront properties - one is we can not afford it and another we do not like the humidity. another question, the town is surrounded by waters, is wet basement a big issue there? Our budget is between 300k to 550k and wanted something newer (after 90's), is that a reasonable range for a decent property there?

Also, checked the map there is nothing but a shopping plaza in that town, is that the only place that things happen there? Are there any shopping area/restaurants nearby or we have to go to downtown providence?
You shouldn't let access to I-195 determine where you purchase a home, anywhere in Barrington has easy access to the interstates and to Providence. You don't "have to" go downtown Providence, but Providence has some fabulous restaurants for "date nights" with hubby ... you will love going there for fine dining. There some very nice restaurants in Barrington, Warren, and Bristol in particular, all close by. you will get wonderful seafood in the general locale.

Several of RI's lawyers, doctors and other medical professionals have lived there for years, and buy there for the same reasons that are attractive to you. It is a lovely charming town with access to everything you need. Nice sense of community and excellent schools. (You will find some homes with sump pumps in the basement, yes. There is a low water table in various areas, sump pumps will be evident or disclosed.)

Unread 10-26-2011, 07:22 AM

3,545 posts, read 4,298,748 times
I think finding something built after the 90s will not be easy. You might find one or two houses to look at in Barrington. This is true in most places in RI since we are an old state and there is little new land to develop. Planners are also trying to preserve open land.

Personally, I think updated older homes have much more charm.

Barrington got hit hard in the last flood. Look at the flood plain maps online.

There is a new housing development "Walker Farm" being listed but it is for low income Barrington residents. A Massachusetts development firm just bought the Barrington Zion Bible College land- we'll have to see what they do with it.

Unread 10-26-2011, 08:08 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,852,820 times
Some beautiful new homes built in the past 4 years on Northwest Passage, but I believe they are in the $800's. (Started out in the $1mil. range but prices have dropped everywhere.)

However, many homes in Barrington that were built 'back in the day', have been nicely updated while retaining the charm. Lots of charm in Bristol homes as well.

Unread 10-26-2011, 09:51 AM

Also check out the George Street area. This is on the north side of 100 acre Cove and can only be accessed thru Massachusetts or by continuing up New Meadow Road into Massachusetts. A number of new homes have been built there of late. I just don't know the pricing.

Unread 10-26-2011, 11:04 AM

Thanks for all the information. Most replies stated that the house price is around $700k, kind of an upscale to us.

I have been searching posts on this forum and seems to me that Barrington kind have a lot negative views (except for the school system), like snobbish, not easy to get to anywhere (I195W - I95N) and teenager drink problem. (kind confused me that a good school district has such a problem). (wife changed job to providence and I am working in west of Boston and thought better I am the one doing the long commute).

What I heard is that the town will purchase the Zion college for its middle school? What that means a development company got it?

Last time we visited the place the county road is so jammed - that's why we thought the northern part might be better because it does not need to go through all the traffic in downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island