Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2012, 04:01 PM

4 posts, read 23,194 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to West Greenwich for a new job. I would be relocating from Raleigh, NC.

What would be some good areas to look at homes in. I am looking for:

Schools, son is starting kindergarten this fall and daughter in a couple years.

Safe family friendly neighborhood. A neighborhood would be nice, looked briefly at houses on-line in W. Greenrich and they did not seem to be in neighborhoods.

Up to a 30-45 commute from West Greenwich.

Someplace with a decent size lot at lot 0.25 acres.

I know home prices are not as low as in the Raleigh area but would be looking for a 3-4 bedroom under $350,000, would like cheaper if possible but not sure I will find it. If possible would like to be under $300,000.

So, what would be your recommendations?

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 07:24 PM

583 posts, read 1,324,325 times
West Greenwich is one of the more rural RI towns, although for RI that's not saying too much, but it's still more country/rural-residential, although the shopping is never too far away anywhere in this state. West Warwick and Coventry more suburban, a bit lower income I think. Exeter is also RI country living at it's best, North Kingstown very nice mix, East Greenwich home prices among the highest in the state. Can't say about the school districts.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:39 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,420,936 times
I'm from RI and moved to the Raleigh area almost 4 years ago. While you will be able to find plenty of neighborhoods in RI, they are vey different than Raleigh. Much less cookie cutter. No HOAs. No neighborhood pools. You'll find parts of Providence are quite similar to ITB (Beltline), specifically the East Side.

Because of the housing boom in NC, most homes down here are newer. I laugh when I hear someone say "it's an older home, built in the 90s". They mean 1990s. In RI, it would be 1890. I think you find homes in RI do not have all the bells and whistles that the homes down here have but they'll have more character.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:44 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,894,337 times
You could look in Westerly. It's an attractive medium size town with a downtown and many amenities. Not a bad commute to WG. Could do pretty well with that housing budget. Much of southern RI is semi rural.

You could also look at the many neighborhoods of Cranston & Warwick- denser and many city amenities and shopping. Google them in the RI forum- they've been discussed a lot.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:47 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal3146 View Post
We are considering a move to West Greenwich for a new job. I would be relocating from Raleigh, NC.

What would be some good areas to look at homes in. I am looking for:

Schools, son is starting kindergarten this fall and daughter in a couple years.

Safe family friendly neighborhood. A neighborhood would be nice, looked briefly at houses on-line in W. Greenrich and they did not seem to be in neighborhoods.

Up to a 30-45 commute from West Greenwich.

Someplace with a decent size lot at lot 0.25 acres.

I know home prices are not as low as in the Raleigh area but would be looking for a 3-4 bedroom under $350,000, would like cheaper if possible but not sure I will find it. If possible would like to be under $300,000.
So, what would be your recommendations?

Thanks

Your best resource for up to date home prices and information about RI, is this Rhode Island MLS website:

www.riliving.com

Put in your criteria for the various towns within a reasonable commute to West Greenwich. North Kingstown, East Greenwich, Cowesett area in Warwick, Exeter, North Kingstown etc. All are lovely areas and should be compatible with your budget. As LJD point out, however, most of the areas will be older and traditional. There are some very nice newer developments where the home prices have come down in this economy. The good news is that the percentage of lot sizes will be considerably larger than one-quarter acre (.25). You may find the average in your price range will be closer to .75 acre. .

Also read online, the Providence Journal newspaper (Sunday edition is best): www.projo.com

And, get in touch with your employer's HR Department for suggestions on where other employees have settled in RI and have them recommend a Realtor.

wish you the best !

Old 01-16-2012, 01:58 PM

4,364 posts, read 3,188,372 times
I'm not sure why people aren't pointing out the obvious - Coventry. Your job in West Greenwich is most likely on the border of Coventry. Coventry has some very rural areas along the western CT border but also a lot more established neighborhoods than West Greenwich. You should have absolutely no problem finding a 3-4 bedroom home there for under $350,000 - real estate has always been relatively cheap in Coventry. Most of Coventry was built post WWI and there are a lot of small 1000 ft ranches and Cape Cods that were built in the 1950s, and unfortunately those make up a big part of the housing stock there - or the 1980s raised ranches that were a dime a dozen (hate those!). But take a longer look and I'm sure you'll find something more to your liking. At that price point, you might be able to squeeze into Wood Estates, a desirable neighborhood in Coventry that's partly on Johnson's Pond.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:52 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,619 times
Move to North Stonington, Stonington, or Groton, Connecticut. You'll thank me later.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:40 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
Move to North Stonington, Stonington, or Groton, Connecticut. You'll thank me later.
Do you have any idea at all how expensive it is to live in Stonington or North Stonington? I have no info on Groton. Why not suggest Westerly RI? or Mystic CT? the average Joe cannot live there either.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:36 PM

564 posts, read 1,879,312 times
Definitely look at Coventry. If you in the pharmaceutical industry you'll be working right on the Coventry line anyway. Wood Estates has some nice homes in your price range and is a great place to have children.

East Greenwich is generally considered to have good schools, but I see plenty of smart, decent young people coming out of Coventry HS... (although my children are in parochial schools)

Old 02-16-2012, 07:02 AM

39 posts, read 101,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
Groton? haha good one.

In N Stonington it will feel like you are in the middle of absolutely nowhere, which is basically where you would be. Stonington is nice but way overpriced.

South County RI is waaaaay better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island