Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 04:28 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times

Advertisements

The goal of teachers in Rhode Island should be to at least bring 80% of the class up to grade level when it comes to Math and English. Unfortunately in RI at the high school level even the so called "best" schools in East Greenwich and Barrington are not doing this. I believe last year only 78% of 11th graders attained grade level in English and only 66% in Math. This was impressive compared to the state average which is just 54% for English and 43% in math but as compared to average schools in other states it was lacking.

For example the state average in CT is 80% achieve grade level in English and 78% do in Math and even in Groton, a non-affluent area bordering Westerly, RI, 75% reached grade level in Reading and 83% did in Math! Parents also gave this school a mediocre score.

What I would like to know is why are Rhode Islanders so content with the way things are here and not trying to do better and succeed the way other states are. Granted, schools are getting better but only compared to what they used to be -- NOT to most other states!

South Carolina, for example is a poor state yet their kids are much smarter and get a much better education than ours. In some schools more than 90% of kids attain grade leve in math and english.
All the statistics including test scores are at a website at greatschools.net

You can look up just about any school and level in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 02:42 PM

105 posts, read 406,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
The goal of teachers in Rhode Island should be to at least bring 80% of the class up to grade level when it comes to Math and English. Unfortunately in RI at the high school level even the so called "best" schools in East Greenwich and Barrington are not doing this. I believe last year only 78% of 11th graders attained grade level in English and only 66% in Math. This was impressive compared to the state average which is just 54% for English and 43% in math but as compared to average schools in other states it was lacking.

For example the state average in CT is 80% achieve grade level in English and 78% do in Math and even in Groton, a non-affluent area bordering Westerly, RI, 75% reached grade level in Reading and 83% did in Math! Parents also gave this school a mediocre score.

What I would like to know is why are Rhode Islanders so content with the way things are here and not trying to do better and succeed the way other states are. Granted, schools are getting better but only compared to what they used to be -- NOT to most other states!

South Carolina, for example is a poor state yet their kids are much smarter and get a much better education than ours. In some schools more than 90% of kids attain grade leve in math and english.
All the statistics including test scores are at a website at greatschools.net

You can look up just about any school and level in the country.
I am not content with this at all. My family and I are moving to NC next summer as long as we can sell our house here in RI. The schools are very behind. Don't get me wrong. The schools are not terrible. There are some teachers that are great and I place a lot of the blame on the parents. I get involved and make it a point to introduce myself to each child's teacher and let them know my name and number and to call me if anything happens or if they just have any questions. I beleive that I have had such great luck (if that is what you want to call it) with the teachers' that my children have had because I am involved. I know many parents who have no clue what their kids are doing in school, don't care what their grades are and as a result, the teachers get fed up and give up too. Not to say that is ok, it's not but we all have to work together to benefit our children.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:27 PM

23 posts, read 100,435 times
Emilybh -
Well said. That sumes up Rhode Island schools perfectly! It seems to be "it was good enough for me so it is good enough for my kids". We left this summer after only spending 2 years in the Bristol Elementary Schools. It is a beautiful town but people are too content and I feel the schools will never change, not to the extent other states are.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:38 PM

450 posts, read 557,569 times
same as massachusetts

more people i know hate the way things are the politics etc yet they just go and vote the same way and then moan that there taxes go up , the schools are doing cut backs all over the state randolph stops it busses except for illegals, reading, stoneham,pembroke etc are all doing cutbacks in sports, arts, music , special interest groups in massachusetts seem more focused on brainwashing students into their way of social thinking and not learning history, geography 12 year old girls can get abortions and not tell the parents, etc etc these are the same moans I heard in massachusetts when I lived there yet ask them who they vote for and it's the same people who got the things law of what they hate

seems no one really thinks about their moans and just does what they have always done

how is the school system in lincoln and johnston

Old 09-27-2007, 06:24 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,996,651 times
I certainly can't comment on the quality of schools here. But I can say I grew up in the South all my life, and the people here are WAAAAAY more intelligent, and far more open minded. I lived in the South 23 years, and I've lived here 4, and it's definitely been a sufficient amount of time to come to the steadfast conclusion that this is the far more sensible part of the country.

Are there exceptions to the rule? Obviously. But the vast amount of people here are definitely intellectual superior to your average southerner. I'm sorry, but that's a fact.

The Morgan Quitno firm actually named Rhody the 12 smartest state in the counry for 2006. It's a well respected and independent demographic study group out of the midwest who have consistently and accurately been able to reflect population trends throughout the country.

To conclude, I'd have to say I hear a lot of, in my opinion, unfounded criticism of Rhody on this forum. I've been all over the country, and to other countries as well, and I don't think anywhere else compares.

Of course, I don't have kids I have to send to school.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
I certainly can't comment on the quality of schools here. But I can say I grew up in the South all my life, and the people here are WAAAAAY more intelligent, and far more open minded. I lived in the South 23 years, and I've lived here 4, and it's definitely been a sufficient amount of time to come to the steadfast conclusion that this is the far more sensible part of the country.

Are there exceptions to the rule? Obviously. But the vast amount of people here are definitely intellectual superior to your average southerner. I'm sorry, but that's a fact.

The Morgan Quitno firm actually named Rhody the 12 smartest state in the counry for 2006. It's a well respected and independent demographic study group out of the midwest who have consistently and accurately been able to reflect population trends throughout the country.

To conclude, I'd have to say I hear a lot of, in my opinion, unfounded criticism of Rhody on this forum. I've been all over the country, and to other countries as well, and I don't think anywhere else compares.

Of course, I don't have kids I have to send to school.
The Morgan Quitno study couldn't have been using test scores as a critereon. Test scores DON'T LIE I'm afraid. Besides, nobody is criticizing, we are just telling people with kids thinking of moving here, what they can expect. If somebody's child is in the top quarter of their class in most other states and they come here, they could probably breeze through without making any effort (that is what I did) or very little and remain at the top of their class. They won't be challanged. I know when we moved here more than 30 years ago and I went to a private country day school, I thought it was MUCH easier than where I had come from and my youngest sister tried the public school and her grade was literally doing work she had completed the year before in her Worcester, Massachusetts, country day school. I also recall, that the school in Providence I was going to (which was partly a boarding school then) had such terrible test scores-- even lower than the public schools, that they weren't even published in the paper. If they had, it would have ruined the illusion that the school was one of the best private schools in the state. Again, everything is relative. Rhode Island has its own standards which are set a lot lower than other states. Perhaps, compared to a few years ago, Rhode Island kids are doing better, but that isn't saying much. Compared to the rest of the country, they are still at the bottom of the barrel.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:27 AM

450 posts, read 557,569 times
I not know much about RI schools but I have put kids in school in massachusetts and down south.

The education down south along with the teachers is much better. The schools / teachers well some of them seem more interested in telling kids what is right and wrong on social issues than teaching about history , maths etc.

My oldest is now an A honor student in massachusetts he got no where instead telling me how teacher wanted him to practise ramadan(muslim holiday) how it was alright for a boy to play with the barbie, when asked did you learn about anything else he said he was told about the world and how it's warming

Since he's been down south his grades have come up, he learns about geography, history and a large focus on maths.

There is no way I would ever put my kids in a masschusetts school again

Old 09-27-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remember-voltaire View Post
I not know much about RI schools but I have put kids in school in massachusetts and down south.

The education down south along with the teachers is much better. The schools / teachers well some of them seem more interested in telling kids what is right and wrong on social issues than teaching about history , maths etc.

My oldest is now an A honor student in massachusetts he got no where instead telling me how teacher wanted him to practise ramadan(muslim holiday) how it was alright for a boy to play with the barbie, when asked did you learn about anything else he said he was told about the world and how it's warming

Since he's been down south his grades have come up, he learns about geography, history and a large focus on maths.

There is no way I would ever put my kids in a masschusetts school again

If you think Massachusetts schools are bad, you definitely won't want your kids in Rhode Island Schools! Check out GreatSchools.net for comparison perposes.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:33 PM

447 posts, read 1,849,189 times
Wow.

Okay, well, I have a different opinion. I have 2 Master's degrees in Education, graduated from a Rhode Island high school, and taught in a Rhode Island public school for 8 years. I'd like to think that I have some legitimate basis and founding for my opinion.

Yes, there are many systems in Rhode Island that are certainly subpar. However, in Barrington, where I taught for 8 years, I have to say the education was excellent. I can't tell you how many students I had that went on to Ivy League or similar schools and came back at Christmas break to tell me how easy or manageable their classes were, and how well prepared they felt they were. Likewise, I graduated from a RI public high school and went on to Gerogetown University where I entered the honors curriculum and did very well.

My family (I have 3 children, the oldest in 2nd grade) moved to Texas last year, a state that LOVES testing and I really miss the Barrington system (my oldest did kindergarten in Barrington). Yes, the kids score fairly well on standardized tests, but I find the curriculum rigid, "back to basics" and test focused. That is not how I want my children to learn, nor what I believe is a sound educational philosophy.

I actually am very proud that Rhode Island is one of the few states that does not engage in "high stakes testing" - most research is showing that high stakes testing does not indicate true learning, rather that students learn to regurgitate facts.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyr13 View Post
Wow.

Okay, well, I have a different opinion. I have 2 Master's degrees in Education, graduated from a Rhode Island high school, and taught in a Rhode Island public school for 8 years. I'd like to think that I have some legitimate basis and founding for my opinion.

Yes, there are many systems in Rhode Island that are certainly subpar. However, in Barrington, where I taught for 8 years, I have to say the education was excellent. I can't tell you how many students I had that went on to Ivy League or similar schools and came back at Christmas break to tell me how easy or manageable their classes were, and how well prepared they felt they were. Likewise, I graduated from a RI public high school and went on to Gerogetown University where I entered the honors curriculum and did very well.

My family (I have 3 children, the oldest in 2nd grade) moved to Texas last year, a state that LOVES testing and I really miss the Barrington system (my oldest did kindergarten in Barrington). Yes, the kids score fairly well on standardized tests, but I find the curriculum rigid, "back to basics" and test focused. That is not how I want my children to learn, nor what I believe is a sound educational philosophy.

I actually am very proud that Rhode Island is one of the few states that does not engage in "high stakes testing" - most research is showing that high stakes testing does not indicate true learning, rather that students learn to regurgitate facts.
Why not teach students BOTH? Rhode Island teachers certainly get paid enough to do that. I'm sorry but if East Greenwich and Barrington kids can't achieve test scores on par with poor neighborhood high schools in Eastern CT something is WRONG!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island