Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 08:15 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times

Advertisements

I found a beautiful rental years ago in The Oaks in Peacedale through a local realtor. When we put our house up for rent in NK, I also used a realtor. Said realtor then worked as the Property Manager. It worked well for us. There's a nice house in N.K. for rent (3/2) on Forest Park Dr, and another on Madison Ave in Wickford (NK). When searching, use the listings tab, then rentals - and look for yearly as opposed to winter/academic year.

Randall, Realtors Real Living
401-783-9611
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 10:25 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,623 times
Coming from DC you won't think the traffic is bad at all. I lived in DC for 9 years and have worked in RI for 2 years (lived here for almost a year). I've hit traffic (the way I think of traffic in DC) once.

It sounds like the appeal of Newport comes mainly from a visit there, but keep in mind the other areas you mentioned are lovely too, offer a shorter commute, and have better schools.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:01 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
Don't do it. Live in North Kingstown or East Greenwich.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:59 AM

9 posts, read 25,835 times
Thank you all for the feedback...I have plenty of food for thought now. I have contacted a realtor for some help, and continue to look online (including Craigslist). I'll keep my fingers crossed for finding something nice.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:36 PM

6 posts, read 10,794 times
Carty Realty has rental listings on their website - usually Narragansett and North Kingstown. Good luck!

Old 04-09-2012, 07:53 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,183,149 times
If the weather is bad enough to close the bridges, chances are your classes will be cancelled, too. And you really don't have to worry about driving it at all - the RIPTA #64 bus runs from Newport to URI. The ride is 53 minutes.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:08 PM

9 posts, read 25,835 times
Default Thanks for your input - here's the result.

Thanks again to all of you who took the time to provide some input. I am now (mostly) settled in Wakefield and absolutely love the area. Good schools for the kids, close to URI, and walking distance to local ice cream shops, restaurants, shops, marinas, farmer's markets and more. Thanks...one last time!

Old 07-20-2012, 06:10 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Thanks for coming back to let us all know!!!

Old 07-20-2012, 07:16 AM

308 posts, read 517,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinker95 View Post
Thanks again to all of you who took the time to provide some input. I am now (mostly) settled in Wakefield and absolutely love the area. Good schools for the kids, close to URI, and walking distance to local ice cream shops, restaurants, shops, marinas, farmer's markets and more. Thanks...one last time!
Congrats on finding the right spot!

Old 07-21-2012, 09:43 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
What about Jamestown? Jamestown is only 5 mins from Newport, right smack on the water. Gorgeous views from everywhere just about and cleaner water for swimming that you'd have in E.Greenwich. I'm sure you could find a rental that would take well behaved dogs.

Jamestown has a cute downtown with nice bakeries, markets and restaurants that are as good or better than the other towns mentioned. It is very upscale (even more so than Newport ) and the traffic is only terrible during "Tall Ships" or when there is something to watch on the harbor. It is about 15 or 20 mins to URI; 12 to 15 to Wickford; 35-40 to the airport and 40 to 45 mins to Providence.

It has the Narragansett Cafe that is nationally known among the music circuit as a dive bar where most every name band wants to play and they hardly ever charge a cover charge. You can see a band there for free that you'd pay $15 to see in Narragansett.

Also if you like to sail, it is probably the best place to keep your boat and sail around in of anywhere in Narragansett Bay -- including Newport because it is less crowded. There is lots of shoreline where you can bring your dogs for walks and swims as well as parks.

The only thing Jamestown lacks is a grocery store that stays open late. You'd be right near Newport but would only have to pay the bridge toll when you felt like going to Newport and not at least twice a day while you commuted back and forth to URI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island