Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 09:42 PM

4,385 posts, read 3,193,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Taxes are per year: $10,722.
Sounds like a heckuva investment, looks like your style, but you won't walk in the neighborhood
at night..... go for it:

From RI Living Dot Com:
Median Sales Price in Woonsocket: $129,750.00
Um, are you sure you're not painting all of Woonsocket with the same brush? Go to Google street view and "take a walk" around the block It's beautiful. Mansions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 06:22 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Um, are you sure you're not painting all of Woonsocket with the same brush? Go to Google street view and "take a walk" around the block It's beautiful. Mansions!

There are several attractive homes in the North End. Those were the homes of the mill owners for the most part, and bankers, lawyers, etc. When the mills closed some of those execs stayed there, but after awhile many relocated to North Smithfield and "the country". When I was a Realtor in RI for 20 years, I handled the sale of a few of them; also a few in other neighborhoods in Woons. as well as all over the State of RI and southeastern MA. No, I don't paint all of Woonsocket with the same brush; but take a walk on Google street view other than the North End. I use Google "walk" but it is also outdated. If you are a native RI'er you will want to know what the date waswhen the satellite passed over the area, it probably hasn't been updated in several years.

Read the history of Woonsocket, visit the Work and Culture Museum there if you haven't done so, it's pretty interesting. Woonsocket was settled by many French Canadians and others because jobs were plentiful. They were good, honest, hard working folks who worked in the textile factories 12+ hours a day. And yes, women and children worked in those factories too. Those jobs were difficult, mostly two-parent families who stuck together and strived to get ahead without any government assistance. It was shameful to accept welfare, people were proud. Woons. also had several good parochial schools and was a tight knit community. One of the nicest Catholic girls' high school is now a condo complex. Two of my best friends today graduated from that high school and went on to college, left the area and are successful in other states. Maybe you live in Woonsocket or nearby, we have no idea. But you are correct, there are some nice areas that have been kept up -- however, the Woonsocket area real estate market for the most part is declining.

During it's earlier history, (probably into the late 70's, early 80's), no one ever heard of drug problems, crime was not rampant, and yet it was always a lower income multi-unit tenement area. Ferland Corp. built a few new subdivisions near Walnut Hill on the Cumberland line, single family homes in areas that attracted many who had the funds to get out of the core of the City.

Let me add, the above is not all from memory. I am up in RI a few times a year, visiting friends and family, weddings, funerals etc.... getting my "lobster fix", and my observations are quite current. I was just up there early summer in Warwick, helping a friend move here to the mountains. It is too bad that the City of Woons. has gone so far downhill.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
There are several attractive homes in the North End. Those were the homes of the mill owners for the most part, and bankers, lawyers, etc. When the mills closed some of those execs stayed there, but after awhile many relocated to North Smithfield and "the country". When I was a Realtor in RI for 20 years, I handled the sale of a few of them; also a few in other neighborhoods in Woons. as well as all over the State of RI and southeastern MA. No, I don't paint all of Woonsocket with the same brush; but take a walk on Google street view other than the North End. I use Google "walk" but it is also outdated. If you are a native RI'er you will want to know what the date waswhen the satellite passed over the area, it probably hasn't been updated in several years.
QC, I remain baffled by your continuing resolve, in the face of all evidence, that Hollytree wouldn't feel safe walking on that street, were she to buy that 500,000 mansion. I even looked up the non-existent crime stats for that area. You made it sound like she'd be knifed, raped or murdered every few steps! Yet, what do you know - no incidents at all.

Oh, and it's easy enough to see when the Google car - not a satellite - passed by that area. The date is imprinted on the images - June 2012. You can see the bunting and the flags out on the houses for July 4th. They go by more often than you might think, I know I've seen several different versions of my own house in the past five years. I doubt very much that crack addicts have managed to come up with the money to take over the neighborhood in one year.

But, but, but ....the rest of Woonsocket is bad!

Is that what you tell your clients? Don't buy this beautiful house in this nice neighborhood that I'm trying to sell you, because there's also a bad neighborhood on the other side of the tracks. Knowing it's there will make you unhappy over here.

Sure you do.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:10 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times
sandsonik, you've never been to Woonsocket, right ?
so when others here tell you the facts, why do you
try to dispute them ?

Old 09-21-2013, 11:55 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
QC, I remain baffled by your continuing resolve, in the face of all evidence, that Hollytree wouldn't feel safe walking on that street, were she to buy that 500,000 mansion. I even looked up the non-existent crime stats for that area. You made it sound like she'd be knifed, raped or murdered every few steps! Yet, what do you know - no incidents at all.

Oh, and it's easy enough to see when the Google car - not a satellite - passed by that area. The date is imprinted on the images - June 2012. You can see the bunting and the flags out on the houses for July 4th. They go by more often than you might think, I know I've seen several different versions of my own house in the past five years. I doubt very much that crack addicts have managed to come up with the money to take over the neighborhood in one year.

But, but, but ....the rest of Woonsocket is bad!

Is that what you tell your clients? Don't buy this beautiful house in this nice neighborhood that I'm trying to sell you, because there's also a bad neighborhood on the other side of the tracks. Knowing it's there will make you unhappy over here.

Sure you do.
Wow, you sure are an angry person. I gave you an intelligent and reasoned reply to your question, why do you feel it necessary to hurl insults and personal attacks on me.

I do not live in RI anymore, but I am a native of RI and left there in 2002. I don't owe you any explanations about my background or reasoning and neither is it any of your concern. You asked a simple question, you got a thorough reply.

I could care less what goes on in Woonsocket RI these days. But I can tell you as far as crime in concerned, I DO have a personal interest in what has gone on in Woonsocket and RI in general.

Yesterday was the third anniversary of the death of the son of my dearest friends. A perfectly wonderful young man, DAVID MAIN, was unmercifully murdered at the entrance to the Citizens Bank branch in Woonsocket 9/20/10. He left a beautiful family and friends. He was working two jobs to put his son Mike through college. He was a kind and sincere human being who had the misfortune of doing his job, trusting that he would be safe doing so. Three thugs robbed and killed him, and took him from his family and children. The pantywaist coward governor of your state took money from RI taxpayer pockets to defend JASON PLEAU, a repeat offender, a druggie, against the death penalty. The case took almost 3 years to finally get minimum justice of life in federal prison for the murdering S.O.B.

David D. Main Obituary: View David Main's Obituary by The Providence Journal

Don't you dare speak to me of what goes on in Woonsocket RI. It's been a downhill slide for years.

If you know how to pray, read the above link. It could have happened to one of yours, or you.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 09-21-2013 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: corrected grammar

Old 09-21-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
If you know how to pray, read the above link. It could have happened to one of yours, or you.
I know the story well, and you're right, it could have happened anywhere in this country, to anyone. I won't waste our time by finding a murder in Charlotte to prove that. But neither the Charlotte murder nor the Woonsocket murder is an indictment of Charlotte/Woonsocket residents en masse, or means that no one should live in those cities. They are aberrations, not probable, and giving into that kind of fear is counter productive.

And it didn't happen on Prospect Street and it doesn't mean Prospect Street is a bad place to live, anymore than a murder in Charlotte means no one should live in Charlotte.

And the google image is from 2012. That was my whole point. Beautiful house/neighborhood.

Sorry for your loss.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
sandsonik, you've never been to Woonsocket, right ?
so when others here tell you the facts, why do you
try to dispute them ?
Of course I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island