Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:54 PM

14 posts, read 30,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Washington Park ? we used to call that "zipperville" .. lol.
Stay away from South Providence unless you like the hood.
I was born and raised in the south. I wouldn't consider it the hood. Sure, we have to dodge the same potholes (literally) we've been dodging for the last 10 years. But we tend to be a bit of a community. Everybody knows everybody. We all converge at our main "lobby", which is Broad St. That's where everything is, where everybody sees everybody, and everybody finds everything out! People who drive by South Providence may say it's a dump, because of the way it looks; and I don't blame them, it's not pretty, at all. But those who dwell here know that Broad St, Elmwood Ave, and all the little blocks of narrow, alley-like streets in between with speed bumps, round-abouts, and potholes, which we all navigate like a matrix, have an abundance of life and feeling. Friday through Sunday, when the street lights come on, all the food trucks come out on Broad Street. You will probably see a few people congregating around the trucks, you will hear music, you will hear laughing, you will see people playing dominos, and the "city" comes alive (our little trench of the city). So, if you think you can be part of our community, go ahead and get the place in Washington Park. I'd say its the nice part of the south side. But otherwise, I think you can get a "nicer" place across town. I tried moving to a nicer part of town, got a nice duplex in Silver Lake, back when it was nice. But I always found myself on Atlantic Ave, or on good ol' Broad St. just to see what was up, what everybody was up to. So I decided I couldn't leave home, and back in the south I am. I'm just a south side boy!

Last edited by Manny401; 06-06-2012 at 10:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 05:33 AM

4,378 posts, read 3,191,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltatrix View Post
I'd put up with Republicans if they are kinder and gentler. Is it really like that in the South? I definitely wouldn't buy in Providence without knowing the area. Alot of people have thought areas like WP or Elmwood will gentrify some day, but they never really did. But who knows, maybe the lifting of the parking ban will work wonders for the city.
Hold on a minute here - did they lift the parking ban? seriously? I must have missed this in the news. I know they were experimenting with it on Federal Hill.

If true, that's awesome. We have a single driveway and work different shifts, so sometimes the last one in at night is the one who has to leave first in the morning. What a pain, shuffling cars around, when our street is plenty wide enough to accomodate a car in front of the house overnight.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:38 AM

9,288 posts, read 14,899,623 times
overnight parking....

http://www.providenceri.com/overnight-parking

Old 07-22-2012, 01:41 AM

76 posts, read 96,431 times
Default i live in washington park

though i don't own an apartment there, i have lived here for close to a year and although most of the permanent residence are super nice and of course you have the students... in all honesty i would only buy a place in washington park if it was close to the harborside campus and as an investment to rent out to the students.
i live here cause i have no choice, and i am looking for a way out or hopefully moving to the cranston side of the "hood" it is much more pleasant.

Old 05-17-2022, 08:37 PM

23,546 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
There are loads of affordable houses available but- but to jump in and buy in Washington Park without knowing the area- makes me shudder.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gejufan View Post
i live here cause i have no choice, and i am looking for a way out or hopefully moving to the cranston side of the "hood" it is much more pleasant.

Thank you to Hollytree, Snowball and gejufan for providing honest input about the Washington Park neighborhood in South Providence. As recent events have shown, 10 years later it's clear that nothing of note has changed.

Old 05-17-2022, 08:55 PM

Quote:
What does zipperville mean? Never heard that term

Old 05-17-2022, 09:05 PM

23,546 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
What does zipperville mean? Never heard that term

Wow you lived in South Providence for how long and you never heard that term??? Not totally sure on where it originated, but I believe it has to do with the stitches you get after a gunshot or stab wound to the chest that sort of resembles a "zipper".

Old 05-18-2022, 03:53 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,694,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
As recent events have shown, 10 years later it's clear that nothing of note has changed.
Taking so much effort to trash another minority majority neighborhood in Providence. What neighborhood is next in your crime report rotation? Such a creepy pastime. Especially, for someone behind a keyboard in Maine.

Old 05-18-2022, 06:36 AM

9,288 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Quote:
Thank you to Hollytree, Snowball and gejufan for providing honest input about the Washington Park neighborhood in South Providence. As recent events have shown, 10 years later it's clear that nothing of note has changed.
So what? Besides the obvious attempt to discredit IM's opinions.

All cities have some neighborhoods that are more desirable than others. No need to hammer on this point.

Old 05-18-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Wow you lived in South Providence for how long and you never heard that term??? Not totally sure on where it originated, but I believe it has to do with the stitches you get after a gunshot or stab wound to the chest that sort of resembles a "zipper".
Since 2007. But snowball is from the suburbs. Maybe it's a more common term there, where there tends to be fear of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island