Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 07:26 AM

605 posts, read 1,092,663 times

Advertisements

It seams 60 or 70 RIU workers will be looking for other employment. If this isn't a negative sign I don't know what is.

As the rest of the Country is learning "the" lesson, RI just can't catch on.

1. Municipal Unions must be reeled in to private sector pay and perk levels. Including all past retirees. With an eye towards reducing numbers.

2. This state must become much more friendly to private and or small business to provide incentive to locate here and or start up here. With solid irreversible legislation.

3. When it come's to the General Assembly, they failed to enact the Governors "tool kit" for addressing individual City and Town that are failing. It's obvious they are ruled by the Municipal Unions.

Fire the these axxholes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 10:29 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,383 times
RI is in a bad, bad place and isn't recovering well at all. I agree with your points above, and I know that point #1 garners much division, particularly with the recent WI elections. But the pensions and double-digit increases in benefits often gained by unions when the taxpayer is suffering to keep a job and their home is distasteful and needs to be reeled in.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:02 PM

9 posts, read 15,034 times
Default Property Tax Question

Hi all, hope I'm not out of place asking this question. From what I've read so far though, I believe that perhaps I might just get a good response!

Have to admit, I've been blind sided. I have always enjoyed the Northeast Coast, but what's up with the outrageous property taxes in the New England States??? I'm originally from the city of Chicago, moved to the Sf Bay Area years ago. We're currently looking to move and have been thinking about the beautiful textured Northeast Coast. However, I just can't get a grip on why, even the less expensive homes, come with prop taxes - of 3k, 4k, even $6,000 dollars for a 200k-300k home. What's that all about? We were looking to spend a tad bit more than that, OUCH!!! And it seems that the escalation of these property taxes are definitely not lying dormant.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:37 AM

605 posts, read 1,092,663 times
I can't speak for the entire Northeast, but I suspect it's the same reasoning.

In RI...which is a single party State, it's Municipal Unions have had it there way for 50, 60 years without interruption. This has allowed Pensions to escalate to incredible proportions. example: Retirees are retiring at say 42 years of age with 90% of there salary, are now 62 years old, making double what they originally earned, through the miracle of "union backed" COLA (cost of living increase)
Take this number and X's it by tens of thousand retirees, some who were unnecessary in the first place, and BINGO you have Greece! Who pays for this outrageous give away...the property tax payer. You see... in Rhode Island a Municipal job with a pension is called, "hitting it big"

Old 06-11-2012, 06:39 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfmoonbaby View Post
Hi all, hope I'm not out of place asking this question. From what I've read so far though, I believe that perhaps I might just get a good response!

Have to admit, I've been blind sided. I have always enjoyed the Northeast Coast, but what's up with the outrageous property taxes in the New England States??? I'm originally from the city of Chicago, moved to the Sf Bay Area years ago. We're currently looking to move and have been thinking about the beautiful textured Northeast Coast. However, I just can't get a grip on why, even the less expensive homes, come with prop taxes - of 3k, 4k, even $6,000 dollars for a 200k-300k home. What's that all about? We were looking to spend a tad bit more than that, OUCH!!! And it seems that the escalation of these property taxes are definitely not lying dormant.

The answer to your questions are in the post just above yours. With plenty of others through this thread. More people are leaving RI than are coming to RI. Any other New England state would be more desireable, let me suggest the southeast coast of Massachusetts.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:18 AM

32 posts, read 47,353 times
The only bright side I see is that it has reached the tipping point of unsustainability, and the pensions are going to be reworked due to bankruptcy of pretty much every city in the state.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:36 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Wow- the lies constantly being repeated here!

RI is not losing population. Check the data.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:22 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post

OK:

Rhode Island has fastest population decline in US - Yahoo! News

RI jobless rate dips after work force shrinks to late ’80s level | WPRI.com Blogs

RI facing ‘a lost decade’ after jobless rate hits 11% in new data | WPRI.com Blogs

RI Could Lose Congressional Seat | WPRI.com

Cheers !

Old 06-11-2012, 03:45 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,053,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Could is not the correct assessment. We will definitely lose a seat within a decade or two. Our state can only gain so much population, then we will complain there are too many people here, for our 1100 square miles plus. If all the current top 5 cities of Rhode Island, outside of Warwick, had the populations of 1940, there would be another 125,000 more Rhode Islanders. Do we have to have a fully built state to deem ourselves successful? It would be a shame to lose the semi-rural and rural areas we have left to housing development

Old 06-11-2012, 05:29 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post

RI is a welfare friendly, illegal alien attracting state. The money makers are leaving, and only the money takers are staying, and arriving daily.

RI could lose a congresional seat, because other states are growing, and displacing RI position in population. Our population status has nothing to do with geographical size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island