Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:07 AM

9,244 posts, read 14,808,192 times

Advertisements

I'm reading this about the America's Cup trials in Newport and the first comment that is written is shown in the comment section below about Newport being "money grubbing"!!! Newport is a tourist economy- what is wrong with that?

America's Cup trials: What a lift sailing can be / Gallery | Breaking News | providencejournal.com | The Providence Journal

What is it about Rhode Islanders who see everything- even the good- in negative terms? I can understand legitimate complaints but why is RI one of the few states where the detractors run rampant? Compare this to the Texas attitude, for example!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 10:22 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,551,860 times
the comment posted in response to the article is one person who could be from
ANYWHERE. How is that worth talking about ?
I believe the person does have a point about the America's Cup, however. Do
we really want to let it morph into a NASCAR-like event where all the top entries
are splashed with corporate sponsorship advertisements ?

Old 06-27-2012, 05:19 PM

605 posts, read 1,090,225 times
Quote:
What is it about Rhode Islanders who see everything- even the good- in negative terms? I can understand legitimate complaints but why is RI one of the few states where the detractors run rampant? Compare this to the Texas attitude, for example!!!
No offense Snowball, I'm not sure you have addressed the main point.
Holly has brought up an interesting and deep topic in the 2nd part of the post. It's a topic that deserves to be addressed hopefully without emotion and bickering.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:19 PM

4,261 posts, read 3,118,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I've been wondering this too. The negativity is quite depressing. However, I think it exists online comment sections to a much greater extent than I see it in everyday life. The posters at Projo come off as so, so bitter about every darn thing.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:41 PM

583 posts, read 1,321,239 times
I think it has to do with state history. Texas was a frontier state, and the families who grew up there in the last century have this mentality, like many states out west. Though Texas's probably became especially full of themselves due to their size, and history with Mexico. Compare this to RI on the other hand, where many immigrants came from perhaps more directly from Italy and Ireland, and ended up laboring in factories. Wide open spaces and nature and that kind of freedom are simply more empowering for the individual and the state.

Last edited by Saltatrix; 06-28-2012 at 05:51 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 07:35 AM

so far...no takers. I'm sure one reason is because if anyone answers the question honestly they will be attacked.

Quote:
Wide open spaces and nature and that kind of freedom are simply more empowering for the individual and the state.
the point about being empowered is spot on! In my opinion. But I don't think it has that much to do with purely open space.

I guess this interesting question will remain unanswered and the beat will go on.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:48 AM

One thing I've noticed is that RI has no cheerleaders. Discussed in the papers lately is Michigan's tourist campaign "pure Michigan" which you've probably seen if you watch TV. It has apparently been very successful. (Michigan also has Detroit if anyone wants to know why they need one). RI has not had a national media campaign for tourism for ____ years nor any substantial local boosterism.

Negativity is catching and people really take to heart sensational doom and gloom promulgated by the media. It's very likely that attitudes would improve if more people took pride in the state and became more involved rather than just jeering it down. No news - or should I say any news at all- is interpreted as bad news around here.

Now before Rosco jumps on me, I will say that we should advertise what is good about this state and not simply for the purpose of glossing over the bad but to create at least a modicum of local pride. I have NEVER said there was no bad.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:43 PM

I'm not jumping...I never said there was no good. I have said it's not a balanced system.

I know one thing...When you decide to advertise, should it be a state, or a business, or a concept, you should always make sure you have you're organization together. Meaning you don't want to advertise something that is not prepared to be advertised.
You have to know who and what you are, and for that matter, what you are not.

Chafee want's to advertise "Beautiful Rhode Island" as his main theme. Yeah...and then what?

Old 06-30-2012, 07:18 AM

Then what- what? I don't get your point.

Do you think visitors to the attractions of this state are unserved or sorry they came? Why don't you take a poll of people who come to visit Newport or the East Side of Providence, for instance? Why don't you take a poll of people who've moved here from out of state? Do you realize that people are coming here from CA, NY, FLA, etc and finding this area better than what they left?? Do you realize that half of CT visits RI beaches?

Old 06-30-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Then what- what? I don't get your point.
My point is............never mind, no matter what I say, you will claim the opposite. Finding common ground and solving problems is impossible if one refuses to admit there are problems. So let this place stay just as it is.

You and a few others see RI as equal to any state in the country, who am I, or anyone else for that matter, to burst you're little bubbles.
Good luck and go for it!
When I leave RI, I will have to "hold a great deal of paper" so someone has to stay and cheer the place on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island