Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 05:31 PM

68 posts, read 128,372 times

Advertisements

Here, we'll all ponder what makes Rhode Island, well, Rhode Island.

-Coffee milk. Only in this state could you find coffee flavored syrup, where when 9 out of 10 people in this country would think you mean coffee with milk. Not in Rhode Island.

-Family Guy. 'Nuff said.

-The size. You know how they say 'good things come in small packages'? Rhode Island is the very definition of that phrase.

Any others to add?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 09:57 PM

367 posts, read 545,418 times
I am a native Rhode Islander but have lived in various places across the country.

Having been away so long I've come to really appreciate "Little Rhody"...I truly believe it is the most unique state in the country:

-Where else can you get the following foods: coffee milk, Dells lemonade, gaggers, quahogs, stuffies, dynamites, grinders, cabinets, and bakery pizza strips? The funny thing is even RI's neighbors - CT and MA - don't have most of these items. I used to work in Boston and remember bringing bakery pizza to the office from time to time...everyone always loved "Rhode Island pizza"...it wasn't available in MA even in towns along the RI border.

-This is the only state I know where everyone's big dream is to have a "low numba" license plate for their "cahs". lol

-Only in RI would a convicted felon be mayor.

-Whenever a storm threatens people will race out to buy bread, milk, and batteries. I think this habit was born after the Blizzard of 1978.

-In RI directions are given based on landmarks or buildings that no longer exist: "To get there from here, you take a left where Custy's used to be..."

-RI is so small that people think traveling outside of a ten mile radius is too far and often won't do it. I used to be this way until I moved away. There are literally people in Cranston who think a trip to Providence (only a few miles away) is too far. And if youre going from Providence to South County beaches or Newport? Better pack an overnight bag for that 40 minute trip.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:37 PM

308 posts, read 517,786 times
I believe Maryland is called "mini-america," or something along those lines, but I believe RI truly is mini-america. I know there a lot of stereotypes, but I think you can find anything from "guidos" to "yankees" to minorities. The State offers cities, suburbia, and country living. In RI you have oceans, lakes, and woods. You can go surfing or skiing. You can eat out at fancy restaurants or work on a farm.

I think RI really offers a lot in a very small package.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:38 AM

23 posts, read 52,200 times
Smile RI has it all

RI has a little bit of everything:

-East Side of Providence (Brown University area/Thayer St.) has a bohemian atmosphere. Lots of young, artsy, eclectic types there. People watching can be fun.
-Providence has some beautiful old Colonial architecture on the East Side. Benefit Street is a lovely place for a walk. The East Side has some of RI's wealthiest residents who take pride in their gorgeous Victorian homes.
-Providence has ethnically diverse population
-Providence has it's own "Little Italy" in the Federal Hill area. Lots of great restaurants. The area is becoming more diverse, so there are all sorts of cuisines to choose from
-RI has great restaurants all over the state - everything from high cuisine to excellent "chowda" to great pizza; all sorts of everything. I like Chinese food, personally, and thought ours was reasonably good until I went to Chinatown in NYC and just about wept in appreciation of their Chinese food, so much better than RI's. But for Foodies, there is something for everyone here, especially in Newport.
-Cranston has some good shopping and good restaurants.
-South County is gorgeous. Expect traffic heading south in the summer.
-Summertime offers so many entertainment options: live concerts, outdoor festivals and concerts, outdoor farmers markets, fairs, fireworks, etc. There is never a dull moment.
-Breathtaking scenery can be found at places like Colt State park in Bristol, Beavertail lighthouse in Jamestown, Napatree point in Watch Hill, Westerly (as evidenced by Taylor Swift having just bought a house in that area), (IMO, Napatree point has the most spectacular sunsets in all of RI) Ocean Drive in Newport, Rt. 102 from Exeter to Smithfield for those who enjoy leisurely country drives (dotted with lots of orchards and farms), Block Island is just spectacular, various beaches from Narragansett to Matunick to Green Hill to Misquamicut beach - one after the other along the south coast. Beach hopping can keep your summer interesting, but bear in mind, you will $pay$ for the privilege.
-There are some really nice bike trails, especially the East Bay bike path that runs from East Providence through Bristol and Warren - incredibly scenic and lovely. Theres a good one in South Kingstown near the train station. There are a couple more - I think Coventry has one and Warwick City Park has a decent one that runs along the water.
-Warwick has some nice areas in the Warwick Neck area. And let's not forget the Gaspee area of Warwick. Very historic, pretty, village-y setting. They have a wonderful week long festival/celebration with Gaspee Days every June. There is a huge parade and other attractions like concerts and an art show along with special daily events. It's a staple of RI summer and a must do annual event.
-Warwick also has Goddard park which is pretty nice. There is a beach there. Personally, I think the water isn't the cleanest to swim (though some do). It has a nice view of the Greenwich harbor.
-Oakland Beach in Warwick has a nice ocean view, a beach, and some quaint seafood restaurants. It's a bit low brow compared to the southern end of the state, but it's an unpretentious and decidedly working class area. I think crime is way down from years ago when I lived there.
-July 4th has the oldest Independence Day celebration in America in our own Bristol, RI. It is a very huge event and a must-see at least once in your RI lifetime. I haven't been in years because of the traffic. Rt 114 is a congested two lane road, and I hate traffic. But the parade is terrific and the town gets gussied up with appropriate red, white and blue patriotic banners, flags and decorations. Lots of New England-y type architecture and porches. Bristol is a wonderful town.
-Providence has the distinctive and rather unique Waterfire events throughout the summer. They light firepits that are dotted along the Providence River. They pipe in music, and there's a nicely paved walkway that has decorative lighting that runs along the river. It gets crowded, but it's surprisingly relaxing. Families go there (and the kids have lots of glow sticks and glowing toys), there are many vendors and RISD art shows in the area. Also, some live music and even dancing (Kennedy plaza sometimes has swing dancers and latin dancers and other types dancing - truly wonderful!).
-Providence a a really nice mall right across the street from the river.
-For zoo lovers, we have the Roger Williams park zoo in Providence. It's a really nice zoo, albeit somewhat small. It's located in a beautiful park. But I would be careful in that park after dark because of potential crime. But during the day, it's very safe and there is a lot to do there for young families - swan boats, planetarium, japanese garden, Temple to Music, the huge Hasbro playground, the Carousel (my friend does face painting there).
-Slater Park in Pawtucket is not so much of a zoo, but they have lots of farm type animals and some bunnies and such. its a wonderful park with a big playground, and I have lots of great memories from family picnics there as a kid.
-Everyone knows about Newport's history and the spectacular mansions. The Cliff Walk is a magnificent scenic walk that runs along the water where the historic mansions are. I never get sick of going there. We try to take our little girl to a mansion or two every summer. They are really something to see!
-I like RI's quaint villages: Wickford (which boasts the state's best annual art show), East Greenwich, Watch Hill, Bristol, Galillee in Point Judith, Block Island, and the aforementioned Gaspee Point in Warwick off the top of my head.
-A ferry ride from Point Judith (Galillee) will take you to Block Island. A truly magical place. Incredibly beautiful ocean vistas, bluffs, lighthouses, bike trails, beaches, restaurants, live music. Block Island is a must-see in the summer! There is a little zoo/farm there that you can walk to and see things like alpacas and emus. It's free (you can donate if you are so inclined). Kids love it. The Spring House hotel has a sprawling lawn with vast ocean views and is my very favorite place to see an outdoor concert. I've been to several there. They have a nice restaurant there too.

Well, that is about it for now, but I could really go on. Folks, those who keep trashing RI on this site must have forgotten about all the great things this state has to offer. I just thought it was time to present some of the good things that are here.

Last edited by Ritarff; 05-25-2013 at 08:07 AM..

Old 05-25-2013, 06:53 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgarfield View Post
-Family Guy. 'Nuff said.
it's not a show Rhode Islanders identify with.
Seth M. went to RISD, but he is from Western Connecticut.
I have never heard of anyone talking about any similarities
with that show and life in RI other than the word "quahog".

Old 05-25-2013, 08:33 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,456,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
it's not a show Rhode Islanders identify with.
Seth M. went to RISD, but he is from Western Connecticut.
I have never heard of anyone talking about any similarities
with that show and life in RI other than the word "quahog".

Family Guy - On The Road To Rhode Island - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island