Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2012, 02:08 PM

3 posts, read 3,846 times

Advertisements

A few years ago we lived in Portsmoth, RI...we only lived there 6 months but I fell in love with it and have always wanted to move back to the area. My husband and I have 6 dogs, which isn't a problem in Florida but I heard that Rhode Island now has a 3 dog per household limit. Is this true? Is it a dog friendly town? We would be looking at the areas around Newport, Portsmouth or Middletown. Our dogs are all indoor dogs and most of them are getting up there in age so they just kind of like to lay around the house and look out the window. Anyway, when we were there years ago dogs weren't an issue so I never really paid much attention to it. Any personal experiences, advice, or facts you may have would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 03:00 PM

9,243 posts, read 14,798,145 times
Apparently it is true for Portsmouth- just look on the town websites.

Town of Portsmouth RI:

Old 08-29-2012, 07:23 AM

I looked at the website but I know sometimes laws are outdated and not strictly enforced unless it's a real issue...just looking to see if anyone in those areas has had any personal experience in having more than 3 dogs. I've always wondered how these codes would be enforced...all of ours are rescues..we started aquiring our dogs when hurricane Katrina happened...between hurricanes and the recession we ended up with these guys. Some people moved and left their dogs behind to fend for themselves...it's amazing the things we've seen...sorry getting off track! I didn't know if Rhode Island made exceptions under certain circumstances. Once again looking for personal experiences. I may be making a big deal out of nothing but I would rather know for sure. I read that if you have a breeders license you could have more dogs. I am not a breeder, don't believe in it. Well, I will see what people have to say..worse case scenario we just wait a few years until we are down to three.

Last edited by chekee; 08-29-2012 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 08-29-2012, 08:49 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,963,914 times
I suggest calling or emailing the local animal rescues. They are typically up on what is going on and were helpful to me when I moved here and had questions about breed restrictions (my pup isn't a pit, but occasionally someone will mistake him for one). I suspect you are going to have difficulties unless you are buying immediately. Renting with pets can definitely be a challenge.

Best of luck and thanks for rescue all those dogs!

Old 08-29-2012, 12:34 PM

We would definitely be buying LOL! That is great advice about calling local animal rescues...thank you!!

Old 08-29-2012, 07:05 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,946,174 times
You'll find that many localities now have restrictions on number of dogs in a household. The most frequent number I've seen is 3. It's on the books to prevent unlicensed kennels.

Guess you'll be shopping at the Portsmouth Agway for those 50 lb bags of Purina. That's a lot of doggies to feed!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island