Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 11:15 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times

Advertisements

geez, a lil thin-skinned IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 11:50 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,774 times
Born and raised in Rhode Island. Moved away while I was young. Never looked back. Have lived in two other states since moving out of R.I. Have visited numerous states throughout the country. Most of my family members and friends still live in R.I. Take my opinion for what it's worth.

My advice: Stay in Mass. or move to Ct. Skip R.I. all together. Too economically depressed, too dilapidated, too cold. Rhode Islanders are so bizarre. You don't realize that while you're growing up there, esp. if you haven't traveled much and have limited exposure to people from other states, because you just don't know any different. Here's how I would describe R.I. and Rhode Islanders in general:

Provincial
Narrow-minded
Reserved
Liberal, but racist
Loud
Unintelligible
Untrustworthy
Simple
Hard-working
Not well-traveled
Just don't know any better

Most Rhode Islanders do things a certain way because that's how things have always been done, there's no need to do things differently.

Based on the greeting you received from the first few posters on this thread, I wouldn't even give R.I. a second thought if I were you. If I was planning on moving anywhere, began a similar thread like you did, and received those responses; I would skip that place all together, even if I really wanted to move there. Truth is, most people from R.I. are not too much different than the first few posters on this thread: Bullies. Your husband is right: NEXT!

Old 09-28-2012, 11:52 PM

Instead of trying to help someone relocate to their state by answering a few of their questions, Rhode Islanders bully that person contemplating a relocation and, in so doing, turn that person off from relocating there. No wonder why Rhode Island is the slowest growing state in terms of population in the entire country! I cannot even deal. I'm so glad I left when I did.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:04 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times
lmao:

Provincial (why ? because we don't drive all day ?)
Narrow-minded (says nothing)
Reserved (does this mean calm, or stand-offish ?)
Liberal, but racist (interesting tie-in there)
Loud (reserved, but loud ?)
Unintelligible (same for all other non-rhotic accents ?)
Untrustworthy (didn't realize there is a backstabber-ratio per state !)
Simple (strong identity is bad ?)
Hard-working (whoa, a compliment, or IS it ?)
Not well-traveled (does TV count ?)
Just don't know any better (ignorance is bliss)

Old 09-29-2012, 12:32 PM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
WhatUpFLA, how old were you when you moved away (one who bails as a disgruntled teenager is generally not a reliable source of info.)?

You re-appear on this forum from time to time, shouldn't you be busier enjoying FL? On that note, it would be interesting (like you did for RI), to come up with a list for Floridians...

Old 09-29-2012, 01:46 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,408 times
Who would have thought that you pack over a million people into a teeny tiny state the size of a county, and population growth would be slow? What a shocker!

Florida stinks. Not going to go into another diatribe about that, but this guy seems like a "concern troll" to me. He only ever pops up to diss Rhody and then disappears again!

Old 09-29-2012, 06:10 PM

215 posts, read 307,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
i don't think myself or Holly were being rude or snarky..
the OP works in RI, and hasn't looked around on her own ? come on.
Plus there are thousands of posts here with great info, specific info.
she cannot just drive around, looking for answers! Relocating is difficult, and I agree with the OP. There are not enough updated posts here. I found it difficult to research, especially here. To the OP, you cannot go wrong with East Greenwich! Terrific town, with a great community, people and schools.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:14 PM

605 posts, read 1,092,912 times
Just wondering how you could say a state the size of Florida "stinks". I'm guessing you mean the entire state? Right?
i understand you've explained it in the past, but really.

Not being troublesome here, just wondering out loud.
Have a nice saturday night...i am lol!

Old 09-29-2012, 10:29 PM

Palm Beach County, the THIRD-MOST populated county in Fla. after Miami-Dade (1) and Broward (2) Counties, is more than twice the size of the entire state of R.I. in terms of total area and boasts a larger population. In fact, Palm Beach County happens to be the least populated county in the South Florida metropolitan area... And it still has more residents than the entire state of Rhode Island! Actually, there are five counties in Fla. that have more residents than R.I. As an aside, there are 67 counties total in the State of Florida.

I could never imagine making blanket statements about an entire state of approximately 66,000 square miles and nearly 19 million residents such as "Florida stinks." You sound like a typical Rhode Islander. Every time my dad, another typical Rhode Islander, comes to visit me, he'll do the same thing: Make a blanket statement about Florida after having only visited one community (my community) out of thousands across the state. He'll usually start off one of his authoritative, all-knowing, opinionated statements like, "Well, down here in Florida..." or "Wow, people in Florida..." or "Let me tell you something about Florida..." or "You have to remember one thing about the people down here..." Clearly, I've heard them all. If I list all of the openings to his speeches, I'll be here all night long.

Truth be told, you can't make such generalizing statements about a state so large with so many people. It's much easier to make blanket statements generalizing Rhode Island because R.I. is much, much smaller than Florida in terms of area and population. There are only 39 communities in R.I. and there are thousands in Florida. Chances are, in a place so compact and small like R.I., a blanket statement made by an outsider about the place after having only visited one or two communities could be pretty accurate. R.I. is virtually one of the only states in the country where this would hold true.

But here's the best part: My parents make blanket statements about the entire U.S. based on their perceptions of South Florida because it's probably the only area outside of New England which they both know fairly well. Hahaha! That kills me! South Florida is SO different from the rest of the U.S. But, I've had friends my age come to visit me in Florida who do the same thing. So, it's clearly not a generational thing, more of a Rhode Island thing. Of course, most of my friends who are still living R.I. are not well-traveled. The friends of mine who were well-traveled growing up, no longer live in R.I.; but that's a given and goes without saying. LOL

Old 09-30-2012, 06:11 AM

9,287 posts, read 14,899,623 times
quote: "Chances are, in a place so compact and small like R.I., a blanket statement made by an outsider about the place after having only visited one or two communities could be pretty accurate. R.I. is virtually one of the only states in the country where this would hold true. "

So.... visiting Newport and Narragansett would give you the same impression of the state as visiting Central Falls and Pawtucket? Ha!

Back to the OP- she asked about Barrington vs EG. There are several long threads on this topic already and to drive to visit both towns from MA would have been relatively simple. Thats the gist of the whole thing- What a tempest in a teapot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island