Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 07:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,163 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to RI. My family (myself, husband and 2-year-old) relocated to Providence for work six months ago, having moved from a rural area in northern New England. All in all, it's been a really easy transition to urban living — much easier than we would've anticipated. We're renting a house in the Armory — we love certain aspects (architecture, great neighbors, lots of young families, good restaurants nearby), but there are parts of it we're not wild about (a recent spree of daytime break-ins, proximity to the projects, overinflated asking prices for so-so homes).

We've started to look for homes to buy, as we're getting tired of renting, and we've fallen in love with a house in Quality Hill in Pawtucket. That said, we know very little about the city, the demographics, etc. Does anyone have any insight in terms of what the neighborhood is like? Is it walkable? Are there young(ish) families around? Is there anything we should be worried about? I've heard the schools aren't so great, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 08:44 PM

583 posts, read 1,324,472 times
For the most part Pawtucket is considered to be a tougher city than Providence; it has always been struggling and quite depressed and crime-ridden in some parts, though there has always been a creative and dedicated community that try to improve it. It has a great year round farmers market and many urban art type offerings. A few neighborhoods are quite decent. I would think the public schools are very tough. I wouldn't expect property values to increase too much anywhere.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:20 PM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltatrix View Post
For the most part Pawtucket is considered to be a tougher city than Providence; it has always been struggling and quite depressed and crime-ridden in some parts, though there has always been a creative and dedicated community that try to improve it. It has a great year round farmers market and many urban art type offerings. A few neighborhoods are quite decent. I would think the public schools are very tough. I wouldn't expect property values to increase too much anywhere.
I would have thought Pawtucket to be less rough than Providence overall, I mean nothing there rivals South Providence or Olneyville. Quality Hill is a nice area, although I believe it is more older established people than young families. Where exactly is it, more towards the Providence line/Blackstone Blvd. or further into Pawtucket? It is nice to walk around but there is nothing really to "walk to" (especially at the river/DT Pawtucket end).

You would definitely want private schools in either Pawtucket or Providence.
And while I have some like for the place, unfortunately the city just never seems to get any better and I don't see it as a good investment. With that said, always take what us strangers say with a grain of salt. Some of us will talk like we know everything, but our experience might not be too recent. For all i know you could have landed on a treasure and therefore wouldn't want to discourage you too much.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:05 AM

9,288 posts, read 14,899,623 times
You've picked two spots that have beautiful historic homes at very reasonable prices but neither of which has low crime rates. RI crime rates are easily found on line. If I were you, I'd study these and read through the neighborhood threads on this forum before making a decision.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 12-12-2012 at 07:14 AM..

Old 11-30-2012, 02:00 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,422,405 times
Have you looked into the Edgewood section of Cranston? Lots of older homes with great detail and a much safer area.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,163 times
Thanks, everyone, for your great insights!

Old 11-30-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Have you looked into the Edgewood section of Cranston? Lots of older homes with great detail and a much safer area.
Also the Rumford area of East Providence, although it's a little more suburban.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:40 PM

583 posts, read 1,324,472 times
Quote:
With that said, always take what us strangers say with a grain of salt.
I am so glad that you missed me in the forum, Massnative, but I have not gone away. Unlike posting opinions on, say, the different accents of various Boston neighborhoods, when it comes to crime and safety no opinion is better than a local RI one. Until last year I maintained the low and moderate income housing database for the state, and mapped the state's foreclosed housing units, among many other things. For one, I can tell you crime and the prevelance of multi-family housing in Pawtucket is higher than in Providence.

Last edited by Saltatrix; 12-01-2012 at 03:50 PM..

Old 12-01-2012, 04:07 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,225,333 times
Stay away from Pawtucket...I live a state away, and know that it's a tough place riddled with crime, it's been that way for the past 30 years and will only get worse.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltatrix View Post
I am so glad that you missed me in the forum, Massnative, but I have not gone away. Unlike posting opinions on, say, the different accents of various Boston neighborhoods, when it comes to crime and safety no opinion is better than a local RI one. Until last year I maintained the low and moderate income housing database for the state, and mapped the state's foreclosed housing units, among many other things. For one, I can tell you crime and the prevelance of multi-family housing in Pawtucket is higher than in Providence.
Actually I was referring to my own comments about the Quality Hill neighborhood, relaying the fact that my impression of it is dated at least 10 years so therefore the OP should only place so much weight in it (although I'm sure much of it is still accurate).

As for the Providence vs. Pawtucket crime rates (I don't know where the multi-family issue came from), again I did say "would have thought" based on my previous knowledge of the area. I can still confidently say that Pawtucket has nothing rivalling the worst areas of Providence. I will get back to you in a few minutes on the latest citywide crime rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island