Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 04:38 PM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times

Advertisements

So who says we want big fast growth in RI? I've lived in states that were rapidly growing- no thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 06:07 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
So who says we want big fast growth in RI? I've lived in states that were rapidly growing- no thanks.
If you had a Rail Network and balanced transit then Id have no problem with your state growing , but it does not so 100,000 a decade is alrite...

Old 12-15-2012, 07:14 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,996,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco917 View Post
The problem with this stat is, its based on those that get caught participating in corruption, and not on those that succeed in not getting caught. If the so called corruption is standard operating procedure, and excepted, with a wink and a nod, it will never be counted as "corruption" on any scale.
Yeah. That goes for every single state Rosco. And out of 50, we're consistently ranked in the high 20s. Not great, but much less severe than you'd think from all the nay saying on this board.

@ wxjay:
I always have to laugh when people continue to trot out Florida and Texas as examples of great places to live with low corruption. I grew up in Florida for 25 years, and it is constantly ranked in the top ten most corrupt states. Read some Carl Hiassen. And Texas? Largest amount of uninsured residents in the Nation, and one of the lowest in education. (Not to mention both states are run by backwards rednecks.) If you want to move to one of those places just because of the lower taxes, but are willing to put up with everything else, Godspeed! I for one have spent tons of time in both Florida and Rhode Island, and I highly prefer it here, despite the frustratingly high property taxes.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Now friends, why would Forbes simply lie, and make us 49th.
Yeah because Forbes doesn't have any kind of low tax, low benefits "starve the beast" agenda whatsoever! (See 1990s presidential race.)

Old 12-15-2012, 08:00 AM

605 posts, read 1,092,663 times
Quote:
Yeah because Forbes doesn't have any kind of low tax, low benefits "starve the beast" agenda whatsoever! (See 1990s presidential race.)
says the expert on agenda's!! what's that cute little saying..."pot calling kettle black."

Quote:
Yeah. That goes for every single state Rosco. And out of 50, we're consistently ranked in the high 20s. Not great, but much less severe than you'd think from all the nay saying on this board.
The size of the state gives us a unique stance, in the the opportunities for an incestuous relationship will grow within extremely close proximity.
Just as you have 25 years in Florida, giving you a broader experience about that state, the same goes for some of us in RI.
We've gone to school with these characters that are 3rd and 4th generation state grifters. We know where the bodies are buried.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
says the expert on agenda's!! what's that cute little saying..."pot calling kettle black."

The size of the state gives us a unique stance, in the the opportunities for an incestuous relationship will grow within extremely close proximity.
Just as you have 25 years in Florida, giving you a broader experience about that state, the same goes for some of us in RI.
We've gone to school with these characters that are 3rd and 4th generation state grifters. We know where the bodies are buried.
I may have an agenda (like almost everybody), but my study wasn't cited here. It was Forbes. And his agenda is much more clear than mine given the massive amounts of $$$ he's staked on it.

As for the rest: Anecdotal evidence is interesting, but it doesn't alter the facts. If you think the types of characters you're referring to don't have their parallels in other states, you need to travel more. Like I said, read Carl Hiassen. Do I need to start posting again all the crazy links about outrageous deceit and nepotism found in other states that have much more corruption than ours? Don't make me do it man! haha (Collective groan).

Your rejoinder always seems to be "Rhode Island DOES TOO have corruption!" I'm not arguing this point, I am observing us in relation to other places. And when it comes to that paradigm, a lot of posts around here (from people who also clearly have agendas) are flat out wrong because many people buy into a pervasive narrative that Rhode Island is like the worst place on Earth.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:57 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
you gotta know someone to make it in this state,
that's how it's done most of the time.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:04 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,432 times
Rhode Island is a corrupt, union backed state filled with entitlement programs. I work there a few times a month and see it first hand.
The boys on Federal Hill know what there doing, that's about the only positive i see in RI.. and of course "Family Guy" resides there, another positive

Old 12-15-2012, 10:06 AM

America's most corrupt states:

America

We're not in the top ten according to Fox Business.

Not in the top 27 according to Comcast News:

http://xfinity.comcast.net/slideshow...ruptstates/26/

Again, not in the top ten according to the Criminal Justice Degrees Guide:

http://www.criminaljusticedegreesgui...vernments.html

Need I go on? It's actually difficult to find Rhode Island as being prominent for corruption anywhere. Does it exist in our state? Absolutely. But people here blow it way out of proportion, maybe it's just some Rhode Islanders are highly provincial? That would be one very fair criticism of our state!

Last edited by Rnrboy; 12-15-2012 at 10:24 AM..

Old 12-15-2012, 11:04 AM

605 posts, read 1,092,663 times
Quote:
I may have an agenda (like almost everybody), but my study wasn't cited here. It was Forbes. And his agenda is much more clear than mine given the massive amounts of $$$ he's staked on it.
You MAY have an agenda??? Your life is the promotion of your agenda! You finally privatized your INK361 site, prior to that, it was an open book, a study if you will, focusing on the how much action your "arse" could garner. Talk about a "Collective groan" You post your private life on the internet and then complain when it gathers attention. Attention seems to be your desire.

Quote:
but my study wasn't cited here
You have no study. Get it? If any study is sited that doesn't suit your agenda, you slander it, its automatically from a "right wing" nut, face it, its "standard operating procedure with you. Only studies that get the Rock n Roll Boy thumbs up are to be excepted.

Quote:
I am observing us in relation to other places.
I can appreciate your observations in relation to other states, there are some subjects that a "study" can never properly portray, this is one of them. You simply will never see the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island