Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 12:41 PM

8 posts, read 14,724 times

Advertisements

After spending the last three days reading all the posts, I am starting to think maybe I shouldn't move to RI. My husband"s job is in North Kingstown, should I look at Swansea Mass? Does anyone know if they have all those high taxes and higher car insurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 12:48 PM

23,556 posts, read 18,651,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyGirl1082 View Post
After spending the last three days reading all the posts, I am starting to think maybe I shouldn't move to RI. My husband"s job is in North Kingstown, should I look at Swansea Mass? Does anyone know if they have all those high taxes and higher car insurance?
Why Swansea?

Taxes and insurance will generally be lower in MA, but they are still high.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:59 PM

688 posts, read 2,134,190 times
Quote:
The commute from Swansea to North Kingstown would be pretty hellish. I don't know if that's an issue for your husband.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:02 PM

9,283 posts, read 14,888,050 times
Any tax differential you would lose in the commute. Commuting to Swansea from NK would be onerous and expensive.

Don't remember your first post- but what's wrong with living in NK?

Old 01-09-2013, 01:26 PM

Nothing particularly wrong with NK. I love the town of Wickford. I have also looked at homes in South Kingstown and was thinking maybe to look in East Greenwich. My concern is after reading many RI posts in this forum, I get the sense that people really don't like it. I'm reading complaints about high taxes, high car insurance rates, crappy roads, high real estate taxes. Maybe it's just that this forum is an easy place to talk about what they don't like and not about what they do, but I have been getting pretty nervous reading the posts. I started thinking, maybe I should look in Mass if Ri is a miserable place.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:43 PM

23,556 posts, read 18,651,084 times
Quote:
Nothing particularly wrong with NK. I love the town of Wickford. I have also looked at homes in South Kingstown and was thinking maybe to look in East Greenwich. My concern is after reading many RI posts in this forum, I get the sense that people really don't like it. I'm reading complaints about high taxes, high car insurance rates, crappy roads, high real estate taxes. Maybe it's just that this forum is an easy place to talk about what they don't like and not about what they do, but I have been getting pretty nervous reading the posts. I started thinking, maybe I should look in Mass if Ri is a miserable place.
MA is only marginally better in those areas, and whatever you save there would be made up for in commute costs. NK is pretty far into RI, if you were working in say East Providence I might say otherwise. Keep in mind that he would still pay Income Tax to RI if he works there and would still have to drive on the roads, etc (not that MA are much better anyway). If you still think that MA would suite you guys better, I would look into places like Seekonk, Rehoboth or North Attleborough before Swansea.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:02 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,585,753 times
ROFL.. Swansea is similar to RI.. only they have Mass health care.
Not much difference, and not a good commute to NK either.
If he's going to work in NK, stay in RI.
Then you can post sunshine and rainbows here.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:11 PM

9,283 posts, read 14,888,050 times
RI is not a miserable place! There are permanent naysayer posters (many of whom who live in other states)
who get a kick out of repeatedly posting on this forum. There's also a small contingent of locals who couldn't make it here (and probably couldn't have made it anywhere) who only post negative comments about every topic. Don't let them scare you.

Sure there are pros and cons and taxes could be lower, and for most will never be low enough, but there are a zillion places in the US far worse to live in than South County!!! You'd probably like it there very much. Taxes vary in RI town by town.

If you still decide not to live some place in RI, I'd suggest you go south over the CT border, although I doubt you'd save much tax wise by doing that. Just remember not to get stuck in the traffic when they all come here for the beaches in the summer.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:36 PM

Thanks everyone for your insight. It's much appreciated.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:55 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,585,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
There's also a small contingent of locals who couldn't make it here (and probably couldn't have made it anywhere) who only post negative comments about every topic.
I am certainly not one, I have said many positive things about our state,
but I also don't have my head under a rock.
Btw, some of the MOST successful people in this state continually
point out its problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island