Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 12:11 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Eagan View Post
Rhode Island, historically, has 202 days of sun per year. Nevada has just under 300. That's all I was saying. I like the heat and sun and there's more of it there. Sorry, didn't mean to start a trollfest
Actually, "just under 300" is most likely the number of clear, cloudless sunny days the State of Nevada experiences annually; I have a feeling that maybe be a statewide average of sunny days.

Nevada is the sunniest and driest state overall. I remember coming across that statistic a long time ago, but I never have been to find it again.

Las Vegas is sunny about 85% of the time, and it is the driest major city in the entire nation, receiving less than 5 inches of precipitation annually.

The Las Vegas Valley experiences far more than 300 sunny days overall, but those days may be classified as either partly or mostly sunny. To someone who's been living in Rhode Island for a over a decade, mostly sunny, and even partly sunny, days in Las Vegas will still seem very sunny. On many of Rhode Island's "sunny" days, there's still some cloud cover. You can go weeks and weeks without seeing a single cloud in Las Vegas.

I've been to Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Tucson. The intensity of the sun in those places is similar to the intensity of the sun in Florida. Even when it's cloudy out there, you're still going to need to wear polarized sunglasses. I must admit that I really admire the brightness of the desert, and of course, I love the heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 01:08 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
Actually, "just under 300" is most likely the number of clear, cloudless sunny days the State of Nevada experiences annually; I have a feeling that maybe be a statewide average of sunny days.

Nevada is the sunniest and driest state overall. I remember coming across that statistic a long time ago, but I never have been to find it again.

Las Vegas is sunny about 85% of the time, and it is the driest major city in the entire nation, receiving less than 5 inches of precipitation annually.

The Las Vegas Valley experiences far more than 300 sunny days overall, but those days may be classified as either partly or mostly sunny. To someone who's been living in Rhode Island for a over a decade, mostly sunny, and even partly sunny, days in Las Vegas will still seem very sunny. On many of Rhode Island's "sunny" days, there's still some cloud cover. You can go weeks and weeks without seeing a single cloud in Las Vegas.

I've been to Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Tucson. The intensity of the sun in those places is similar to the intensity of the sun in Florida. Even when it's cloudy out there, you're still going to need to wear polarized sunglasses. I must admit that I really admire the brightness of the desert, and of course, I love the heat.

When the desert is in bloom, it is totally spectacular ! breathtaking. Cold, damp, gloomy weather often makes folks gloomy. Bright sunny personalities, people smile in the sunny uplifting climates.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:36 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,996,278 times
If that is the case, why are Alaska, New Hampshire, Minnesota, and North Dakota (all states that get less sunshine than Rhode Island - look it up for once), in the top ten happiest states for 2012? And why is it that Southern States in general are the least happy?

http://www.gallup.com/poll/152912/Ha...tuck-Last.aspx

Could it be that other factors such as crime, for example, also play a role? No way! And it could it also be that, as Ryan keeps telling us, what makes one happy is often completely subjective?

Oh, and looky here - Taxachusetts made the list of happiest!

Massachusetts led on access to basic necessities, as it did in 2010, with a Basic Access score of 86.6. This high rating is partly a result of the high percentage of residents who have health insurance in the state. The Basic Access Index also measures residents' access to other items essential to wellbeing, including enough money for food, shelter, and medicine; a safe place to exercise; and satisfaction with one's community. Mississippi performed the worst in this area, as it did last year.

Evidence and reality really bothers teabaggers I know, but facts are facts!

Oh, and here's the unhappiest:

West Virginia: 62.3
Kentucky: 63.3
Mississippi: 63.4
Delaware: 64.2
Ohio: 64.5
Alabama: 64.6
Arkansas: 64.7
Missouri: 64.8
Florida: 64.9
Tennessee: 65.0
Nevada: 65.0

http://www.livescience.com/18670-hap...aled-poll.html

Last edited by Rnrboy; 02-13-2013 at 02:58 PM..

Old 02-13-2013, 03:26 PM

9,283 posts, read 14,888,050 times
I just hope Ryan realizes that there will water shortages out there in LV soon...

Clock is Ticking on Las Vegas' Water Supply - 8 News NOW

Old 02-13-2013, 05:13 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,780,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I just hope Ryan realizes that there will water shortages out there in LV soon...

I think it's estimated that it will be a problem in 2909 days (according to one source I read). They have countdown clocks on a few of the sites, actually. Talks of pipelines, etc. NBD... if they run out of water and have to close Nevada, we'll move somewhere else

Old 02-13-2013, 05:28 PM

9,283 posts, read 14,888,050 times
Along with the rest of the migratory population. Maybe we should all start visiting the "self sufficiency & preparedness" forum!!

Old 02-14-2013, 05:57 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times
Why does anyone on this thread give a hoot where anyone else lives or moves to ? ! Like RI'ers are living in some kind of paradise. People who are leaving are happy to leave and to start a new life.

You have nothing to brag about in RI. Beaches? there are fabulous beaches on every coast. Historic buildings? They are in every state.

This is still a free country and people don't have to be denigrated because they choose to relocate and find a better quality of life somewhere else. No matter where they want to live, and no matter what there reasons are. If people choose to stay in RI, then good for them, that's their choice; if they choose to leave, then well wishes are in order.

Why rain on everyone else's parade?

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-17-2013 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: O/T

Old 02-14-2013, 07:46 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,996,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Why does anyone on this thread give a hoot where anyone else lives or moves to ? !
VERY good question. I moved to Rhode Island, but I am constantly hearing from certain folks how bad this state is, often from people who don't even live here anymore. And when we do start threads with good news, people go on them and change the subject to something negative constantly.

Just comb through past threads, it's pretty evident.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:16 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,780,695 times
I hope the little state thrives.. it's part of the National economy and I'd like to see the country thrive. If it didn't snow here, it wouldn't be a bad place to live. I will definitely miss the ocean and my local hangouts. My wife and I are big into the local and national music scene and there is some great local talent around here. Not that there isn't in LV, but I'll miss seeing my friends play out.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:34 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,405 times
Quote:
When the desert is in bloom, it is totally spectacular ! breathtaking. Cold, damp, gloomy weather often makes folks gloomy. Bright sunny personalities, people smile in the sunny uplifting climates.
I hear that the desert is breathtakingly gorgeous when it is in bloom. Although I've traveled to the Southwest twice (once to NV, once to AZ), I've yet to visit during the springtime.

I also believe that climate affects personality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post

Actually, Holly, I did some research and found out that a massive pipeline will be constructed in either Lincoln County or White Pine County to siphon freshwater to the much more populated Clark County further south, which is drying up at an alarming rate. The construction of the pipeline has been approved by legislators and the Southern NV Water Commission alike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Eagan View Post
I think it's estimated that it will be a problem in 2909 days (according to one source I read). They have countdown clocks on a few of the sites, actually. Talks of pipelines, etc. NBD... if they run out of water and have to close Nevada, we'll move somewhere else
Arizona, believe it or not, has a much more sustainable water supply than both NV and Southern CA. But, if Las Vegas residents were forced to evacuate Clark County in the future due to severe water shortages, I'd probably hightail it out of the desert for good.

Quote:
Like RI'ers are living in some kind of paradise.
Exactly my point, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island