Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 07:45 AM

4 posts, read 11,243 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are hoping to move to RI soon, where my husband will work in Pawtucket. Can you recommend places to live. We would like a 2 bed + house or condo in a quiet but friendly neighbourhood. We are hoping to start a family soon too so preferably also a good neighbourhood for that (close to schools ect.). Is it possible to live near the sea and still get to Pawtucket fairly easy?

Also I would like to ask if any of You know what my possibilities for charity work preferably within animalrescue/welfare would be. I will not receive a green card and will therefore not be able to work. But as I am a self imployed business woman today I fear I would feel very restless untill we start a family. I have always dreamt of working with animals and I hope this would be my chance.

I would appreciate your replies very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 09:29 AM

688 posts, read 2,130,061 times
First of all, it would be good to know if you'd like to rent or buy a house/condo. Once we know that we need to know what kind of budget you're looking at to give some decent suggestions for living.

It's fairly easy to find waterfront property (if you've got the funds) and commute to Pawtucket. The stress factor of that commute will be determined though where you choose to live. Pawtucket is fairly accessible but it also sits right on one of the main traffic arteries in RI, Interstate 95, which has severe congestion issues during rush hour times.

On the topic of charity work I doubt anybody will have an issue with you not being a permanent resident. There're quite a lot of organizations where you can volunteer your time and I'm convinced they would be happy to have you.

A place where you might get started is:

http://www.vcri.org

Since you'd like to work with animals, try to contact:
Welcome to Volunteer Services for Animals

Old 10-28-2007, 10:07 AM

630 posts, read 1,870,293 times
Danish Move,you need to give us an idea of how much a month you're looking to spend,anyone kind enough to care for animals deserves our assistance.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:04 AM

Oh yes of cause, how can you suggest me anything when I have listet no budget. Actually we do not yet know what the companys intentions on salary but hopefully I should know more by the end of this week. I really hope it will work out as I have fallen for RI without even been there myself.

As to rent or buy? I suppose we would love to buy and settle down but it would properly be a good idea to rent for a while and then buy if it looks like RI are for us.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:19 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,163,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishmove View Post
As to rent or buy? I suppose we would love to buy and settle down but it would properly be a good idea to rent for a while and then buy if it looks like RI are for us.
An easy commute could be made to Pawtucket from the City of East Providence (i.e not the East side of Providence). Parts of E. Prov. are nice--the northern Rumford area (zip code=02916) and southern Riverside area (zip code=02915) have some nice little neighborhoods. E. Prov. public schools are regarded as very mediocre, but since school don't sound like a concern this is a non-factor for you. Barrington is also doable, but this upscale, attractive community has virtually no apartments or condos--all single family homes. Prices are, of course, higher in this tony, picturesque town.

The East side of Providence is a possibility, too, if you like a more urban/hipster-cool feel.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:31 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,109,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroae23 View Post
Danish Move,you need to give us an idea of how much a month you're looking to spend,anyone kind enough to care for animals deserves our assistance.
danishmove: I agree with this 100%. I am a native born and raised Rhode Islander now living in North Carolina so I can't help much in the way of giving you rental info, but this link may help with regards to your desire to work with animals.
Pawtucket Animal Shelter
Good luck on your impending move and WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES!

Old 12-19-2007, 08:36 AM

Finally I know a little more. My husband will be earning around 90.000 a year. I dont know how that leaves us on the propertymarket as I am unsure about taxes and all other costs. We will both have healthinsurance through his company. I suppose we will need to base it on me not having to work. We would love to buy a place where we could stay for say 5 years or so (maybe more). As I dont know anyone it would be nice to live in a neighbourhood where people sort of care about eachother, so not too far into the country. On the other hand, I live in Copenhagen Cental today so the thought of peace and queit is very alluring! So something in between. So there you go guys does this help at all??

Ps we will arrive in 3 moths time if all the paperwork goes through.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:47 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,985,371 times
If it's 90K a year (esp. without kids) you should be fine almost anywhere. I make far less than that and am not having any trouble.

Perhaps a good compromise between the "country" and the city is Western Cranston. Parts of it are very secluded indeed. Nice houses, not far from farms and countryesque environment, extremely quiet.

But you're also only about 20 minutes from downtown Providence, and it's conveniently located right in the middle of the State.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
If it's 90K a year (esp. without kids) you should be fine almost anywhere. I make far less than that and am not having any trouble.

Perhaps a good compromise between the "country" and the city is Western Cranston. Parts of it are very secluded indeed. Nice houses, not far from farms and countryesque environment, extremely quiet.

But you're also only about 20 minutes from downtown Providence, and it's conveniently located right in the middle of the State.
Thank you, i dident realize it was that good.
I will immidiately check that out! Thanks - that sounds wonderful with coundtryside style yet not secluded. How much should I look at to be comfortable (we are going to want to explore the country ) when loan and housing cost are paid? 250.000-300.000?

Old 12-19-2007, 10:42 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,985,371 times
In the most affluent part of Western Cranston you're unfortunately looking at costs anywhere between $350-$700.

But at 90K a year, you may be able to swing something on the lower end. Check out RIHousing.com.

THey help first time home buyers in the State of RI. Being from another country I am not entirely sure you'd qualify, but it couldn't hurt to check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island