Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:08 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,053,903 times

Advertisements

clam cakes, strictly Rhode island. In Massachusetts they are clam fritters, not the same. stuffies, with a spillover into SE Massachusetts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 09:20 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,821,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
clam cakes, strictly Rhode island. In Massachusetts they are clam fritters, not the same. stuffies, with a spillover into SE Massachusetts.
This is very true. When I moved closer to the area, I was very confused, lol. Clam cakes in MA are the round cake-like patties.

I also noticed that RI has pizza strips which is strips of bread with sauce. I was like, where's the cheese? lol. But...made right they are pretty yummy.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:27 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,383 times
(1) Walking into Coney Island/New York System and getting '2 all the way'.
(2) 'Grinders' - I remember saying this in Colorado and getting the oddest looks.
(3) Thinking that driving more than 10 miles for work or for shopping is 'wicked far'.
(4) Using the 'Big Blue Bug' as a directional market.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:08 PM

583 posts, read 1,324,158 times
This thread is so gay...heard that a lot growing up

Old 03-25-2013, 06:28 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Here is a good read, although (like some of the points in this thread) some are common to all of New England.

NY System Hot Weiners and Other Rhode Island Favorites! - Rhode Island Wieners - Recipes - Rocky Point - Seafood - Food - Clams - Chowder - Newport - Providence

Some are a little out of date as well, like the Bess Eaton one.

I miss Bess Eaton.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:20 PM
Ody

Location: Right there, next time out, look I could be right next ;or in front of you
136 posts, read 287,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Being new to the state, I've noticed things that seem to be strictly Rhode Island. Most are charming.

I think my favorite "Rhode Islandism" is when I ask for directions, people will often say something like "Take a left where Rosies used to be." LOL! Like I know where Rosies used to be.

I can think of at least ten "Rhode Islandisms." What's your favorite?

Jonny Cakes, grilled Saugey hot dogs on a grilled bun with mustard , relish and diced onyion.

People ask directions for South County; I ask where in S County, I explain; there is no county called south it is just a general direction; I get the lost look

People ask for Conanicut Island; and again Then I give them directions to James Town

People ask for New Shoreham ; again Block Island

Again East Bay and there is a West Bay in RI

Welcome to miss guided RI

ODY

Old 03-26-2013, 10:22 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
'Grinders' - I remember saying this in Colorado and getting the oddest looks.
People use the term "grinder" in AZ and the Inland Empire of CA.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
People use the term "grinder" in AZ and the Inland Empire of CA.
Probably from Rhode Island transplants. Frozen lemonade is also a Rhode Island term, frozen ice elsewhere. Except in Arizona and Southern Ca.( San Diego) where a friend began with one frozen lemonade truck in Arizona 42 years ago straight out of URI and built a multi million dollar business, since sold. Could there be a weiner opportunity waiting for someone in say Mississippi?

Old 03-27-2013, 08:31 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
hot weiners = "gaggahs"

Old 03-27-2013, 09:20 AM

Blackstone Valley Tourism Council: Travel, heritage, visitors, visitor center, lodging, dining, tours, Blackstone River National Heritage Corridor, National Parks, Industrial Revolution, historic sites, economic development in Rhode Island

Let's not forget the Woonsocket "Dynamite".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island