Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 11:53 AM

17 posts, read 44,196 times

Advertisements

I know this has been debated before, but some of the threads are older, and I'm curious as to whether others have new input. Our family is likely moving to RI this summer. We are looking in Barrington and East Greenwich (we know there are other lovely towns, but for school/community/family reasons we're focused on those two). My husband will be working in Providence, and I probably will be, too.

I know Barrington is closer, but that the traffic on the bridge can be awful. Is it really a smoother/easier commute from EG? And do people in EG go in to Providence routinely for restaurants, shopping, etc, or does it feel kind of far away once one is home for the evening or weekend? I lived in RI decades ago, but in Providence, so I'm fuzzy about commuting, access etc. I like Barrington's proximity, but EG seems to have more/nicer houses in our price range (we'd prefer to not spend more than $750,000, and would like 3000+ square feet, 4 beds, fairly updated, etc). We're also looking for a welcoming community; our kids are at a tough age to relocate.

I know some may suggest MA, but for family reasons that also isn't possible. I appreciate any/all feedback. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 12:02 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver34 View Post
I know this has been debated before, but some of the threads are older, and I'm curious as to whether others have new input. Our family is likely moving to RI this summer. We are looking in Barrington and East Greenwich (we know there are other lovely towns, but for school/community/family reasons we're focused on those two). My husband will be working in Providence, and I probably will be, too.

I know Barrington is closer, but that the traffic on the bridge can be awful. Is it really a smoother/easier commute from EG? And do people in EG go in to Providence routinely for restaurants, shopping, etc, or does it feel kind of far away once one is home for the evening or weekend? I lived in RI decades ago, but in Providence, so I'm fuzzy about commuting, access etc. I like Barrington's proximity, but EG seems to have more/nicer houses in our price range (we'd prefer to not spend more than $750,000, and would like 3000+ square feet, 4 beds, fairly updated, etc). We're also looking for a welcoming community; our kids are at a tough age to relocate.

I know some may suggest MA, but for family reasons that also isn't possible. I appreciate any/all feedback. Thanks!

Much better choice of real estate in that price range in East Greenwich. Plus you will be closer to the beaches, and yes, it is an easier drive in to Providence. Barrington has more older homes, not much new construction there in the past 30 years; Barrington has a very high water table, no beach, very few restaurants, strip mall shopping over the MA line for what you need. Only one way in and out of BArrington to get to shopping via County Rd. (ugh). Most homes have at least one sump pump, and the lots are very small.

East Greenwich: new and newer homes, large lots, better appreciation, more amenities, things to do etc. More of what you are looking for.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:02 PM

Thanks -appreciate the info! And does "easier drive in " mean that it takes about the same amount of time? I know EG is further away mileage-wise, but assume 95 is faster than 195?

I do, admittedly, like the charm of older homes. But they tend to come with smaller rooms, less closet space, etc. I have wondered whether the flood risk would be an issue, too. The schools are considered comparable, yes? And do you think it's easier for new folks to move to EG and not be outsiders forever?

Old 03-30-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver34 View Post
Thanks -appreciate the info! And does "easier drive in " mean that it takes about the same amount of time? I know EG is further away mileage-wise, but assume 95 is faster than 195?

I do, admittedly, like the charm of older homes. But they tend to come with smaller rooms, less closet space, etc. I have wondered whether the flood risk would be an issue, too. The schools are considered comparable, yes? And do you think it's easier for new folks to move to EG and not be outsiders forever?

I can't see how there woudl be a flood risk per se in Barrington, unless you had a home on the Barrington River. But who knows, anything is possible. The older homes come with much smaller lots, and there are not that many "neighborhoods" or subdivisions in Barrington. Most of the properties in your price range would be located in the Rumstick or Nayatt Road areas.

As for easier drive in to Providence, yes, it is easier to drive a few xtra miles on the highway than get up that County Road boondoggle, and over the bridge. County Road near Mink St. is always the traffic backup from hell. I have family in Barrington who have been there since Day One, and they wish they had left a long time ago because it is such a bottleneck type of area now. You can go in and out County Rd. (Rt. 114) and get on Rt. 95 to Prov. but County Rd. is the problem.

Check www.Realtor.com or some of the major franchise Realtors' websites. Also, www.riliving.com is the Rhode Island Statewide MLS system, and totally updated every day. I'd recommend you do some searches on that and enter your criteria. Also, check with your H.R. department to find out where coworkers live in RI, and where folks relocating for the company are prone to settle for the same reasons you are asking about.

If you like older homes, you could also check the Wickford area of No. Kingstown, very charming. I'm not saying East G. doesn't have lovely older homes, au contraire. There are some beautiful areas of East G., quite a nice mix. (As for being "outsiders forever", your chances are much less in East G. simply because it is more densely populated and maybe a younger demographic.)

Best of luck in your new adventure !

Old 03-30-2013, 01:31 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
If I had to choose I'd pick Barrington. To me, it's much more convenient to Providence since you avoid driving on RT 95- the main thoroughfare between Boston & DC. EG has one main street which is extremely heavily trafficked and hard to cross. Barrington has plenty of proximity to shopping as well as a nice beach to walk on.

PS I live in state currently and go to Barrington often.

You can disabuse yourself of the "outsiders forever" notion. The East Bay is full of transplants from all over the country and the world. RI Monthly just did an article on some UK immigrants who recently chose Barrington to build a $2 mill home.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I can't see how there woudl be a flood risk per se in Barrington, unless you had a home on the Barrington River. But who knows, anything is possible. The older homes come with much smaller lots, and there are not that many "neighborhoods" or subdivisions in Barrington. Most of the properties in your price range would be located in the Rumstick or Nayatt Road areas.

As for easier drive in to Providence, yes, it is easier to drive a few xtra miles on the highway than get up that *County Road boondoggle, and over the bridge. County Road near Mink St. is always the traffic backup from hell. I have family in Barrington who have been there since Day One, and they wish they had left a long time ago because it is such a bottleneck type of area now. You can go in and out County Rd. (Rt. 114) and get on Rt. 95 to Prov. but County Rd. is the problem.

Check www.Realtor.com or some of the major franchise Realtors' websites. Also, www.riliving.com is the Rhode Island Statewide MLS system, and totally updated every day. I'd recommend you do some searches on that and enter your criteria. Also, check with your H.R. department to find out where coworkers live in RI, and where folks relocating for the company are prone to settle for the same reasons you are asking about.

If you like older homes, you could also check the Wickford area of No. Kingstown, very charming. I'm not saying East G. doesn't have lovely older homes, au contraire. There are some beautiful areas of East G., quite a nice mix. (As for being "outsiders forever", your chances are much less in East G. simply because it is more densely populated and maybe a younger demographic.)

Best of luck in your new adventure !

To clarify: County Road and 'Wampanoag Trail' are Rt.114/103 (shown on the map as one road, several traffic lights) and lead either to very busy Rt. 6 in Seekonk MA via Mink St., or to Rt. 195 to Rt. 95 N or S in Providence.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:34 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Barrington is about 15 min from Providence. You can also go through East Providence to Providence down Veterans Memorial Parkway.

EG is nice as well, obviously you'll have to decide if the commute on the freeway is worth it to you.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:52 PM

6 posts, read 18,207 times
While I don't know what the commute from Barrington is like, I live in East Greenwich and have to be at work in downtown Providence at 9am. I usually give myself about 40 minutes to drive/park/walk to my building. There have been the occasional backups due to accidents that have caused me to be about 15 minutes late to work as well.
I feel like I get the best of everything in East Greenwich. There's a nice Main Street area with tons of stores and restaurants. We're also close to Warwick if you want the big box stores/mall. I haven't spent a lot of time in Providence besides work, but that's mainly because I have an infant at home who takes up a lot of my spare time.
There are some beautiful older homes in East Greenwich, but unfortunately many have been converted to multi-family rentals. In particular the "downhill" side of Main Street is a lot of rentals (I know because that's where I live!). However, "uphill" of Main Street are some really beautiful older homes that are still single-family. If we stay in the area that's definitely where we'll be looking to buy.
Good luck with your search!

Old 04-01-2013, 03:45 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,423,346 times
My daughter's family moved from the East Side of Providence back to Barrington a few months ago and are quite happy. The kids love their schools. I've lived in EG in the past and I'd also pick Barrington over EG if I had school age children. I find there is much more of a sense of community in Barrington. I love the town, it's close proximity to the neighboring and charming towns of Warren and Bristol. Love bike riding on the east bay bike path that goes from Riverside all the way out to Colt State Park (15 miles) in Bristol. There is a town beach, albeit small and more cove-like. 5 minutes to Rt 6 in Seekonk with all the usual suspects as far as "big box" shopping.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:03 PM

Thanks, all - appreciate the feedback (and please do keep opinions coming!). Not surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be a clear winner. As far as I can tell from my research, Barrington wins re: proximity, and EG wins re: housing. Schools in both are strong, and I get the impression that both have good youth sports programs (we have active, athletic kids). Guess we'll look at each and see what's available, as well as whether we have a strong pull towards one over the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island