Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 04:14 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,007,799 times

Advertisements

Wow, thanks for all of the responses!! Lots to read thru tonight.

As for the zoo, I'm not worried about the neighborhood. We drive thru Dorchester to get to the Franklin Park Zoo....can't be that bad!

I'll check out hotels to the west. We don't want to spend much time in Newport...that's more for the inlaws. And I didn't realize the Cliff Walk wasn't really meant for kids. We go hiking a lot so my boys are pretty good scrambling over rocks and being near ledges.

Thanks again, this is great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 04:15 PM

Oh, should I consider just staying in Mystic? I figured it was all relatively close together with short-ish drives everywhere and was afraid Mystic may be too seasonal and not have much open...but maybe I'm wrong.

Also, not sure if I mentioned it before, it appears the government rate in RI is $97 so the hotel (Marriott or Hilton) will be "cheap" no matter which town we are in.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:25 PM

Working farm....Casey in Kingston or Watson in Jamestown???

Off to search Kingston area hotels.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:42 PM

Ok, last post....for now!!!

Hotel options...all within a few $$$ of each other:
Residence Inn Middletown
Newport Marriott
TownPlace Suites N. Kingston
Hampton Inn S. Kingston
Mystic Marriott
Hampton Inn Mystic

I know the Mystic and Newport Marriotts are the nicest, but I like the convenience of the suite hotels...more room and breakfast included.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:18 PM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
Ok, last post....for now!!!

Hotel options...all within a few $$$ of each other:
Residence Inn Middletown
Newport Marriott
TownPlace Suites N. Kingston
Hampton Inn S. Kingston
Mystic Marriott
Hampton Inn Mystic

I know the Mystic and Newport Marriotts are the nicest, but I like the convenience of the suite hotels...more room and breakfast included.
That's the only way to roll with twins

Seriously.....RI is so small.....we are based out of Chepachet each summer and we drive all over, Newport and Mystic, actually Westerly are two of the places family is located and the drive is quick. Is someone you are with going to school in Newport.......you mentioned military rates is why I am asking. Newport to Providence is not to bad a drive either going the back way rather than the Newport Bridge.

Have fun in RI!

Old 03-31-2013, 05:36 PM

No, I work for the gov't and those two hotel chains give the gov't rate whether it's for business or pleasure.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:27 PM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Me too.....we love the Hampton Inn's

Old 04-01-2013, 10:07 AM

57 posts, read 340,203 times
I would say Hampton inn in south Kingstown. It is centrally located and fairly new. There is a movie theater next door as well as a couple of places in walking distance for family friendly dining. It is right outside of Wakefield which is charming. Here are some drive times for local attractions

Wakefield 2 minutes
Narragansett town beach (gorgeous) five minutes
Aquarium and seaport 45-50 minutes of easy highway driving
Zoo probably 30 minutes depending on time of day. I will say I don't love the zoo. And would pick the aquarium any day.
Newport 15 minutes
Wickford which is kind of quaint 15 minutes
Casey farm 10+ minutes
Watson 12-15 minutes
Jamestown town, library and park 15 minutes - good library for kids with park next door
Peacedale library also has park across the street 5 minutes

If you are into walking/hiking there are some of the most amazing national wildlife refuges within 10-20 minutes drive. Kettle pond is great for kids and east beach is just gorgeous. Third beach area is the best in Newport for kids unfortunately the hurricane destroyed a lot of the sachuest point refuge so it is closed right now. I have three kids and have lived In Almost every town in washington (south ) county as well as jamestown, Newport and Bristol so if you need specific info just ask.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:24 AM

It appears Casey and Watson Farms don't open until June 1

jakedog1 - we love hiking and I just started googling some places to take the kids. I was interested in Sachuest National Wildlife Refuge but saw it was closed. I'll check out Kettle Pond and East Beach...any other hiking places?

Old 04-01-2013, 11:08 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
You don't say how long you plan to stay but with 3 & 4 year olds, I wouldn't be quite as ambitious as you !! RI may be small but it's not that small as you'll find when you get here. If you'll be here a couple of days, two things a day is tops I would think- but that's just me.

I think you'll have a lot to do with the current suggestions. Also, the East Bay bike path (17 miles long Providence to Bristol) that goes through Colt State park in Bristol is a lovely walk. There is an Audubon trail in Bristol as well. Blithewold has a lovely daffodil display coming up in April as well as a Chinese garden & pond.

But if you want real "in the woods" hikes just google hiking in Rhode island- there's loads of places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island