Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 08:42 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
Yeah, Let me guess, I didn't read it because I didn't reach the same conclusion that you did.
No, I assert you didn't read it because if you had, you'd come to the conclusion that mosr rational people would come to: it's a bs poll with weak methodology.

Quote:
I'm more than willing to bet that if the poll were positive about R.I. you wouldn't be finding much fault with it.
I have no dog in this game -- I've been here less than a year and will be gone within five. But I'm enjoying my time here.

Quote:
You've already agreed with it by admitting RI'ers see the glass as half empty.

"People can have a negative attitude and still be happy"? That's a contradiction. In any case, I doubt you can view the world with pessimism "glass is half empty" and find much enjoyment in life.
Now I KNOW you haven't lived in Manhattan.

Quote:
My experience is that RI'ers will find enjoyment and camaraderie IN their misery. My overall experience
in RI and it's not true of everyone but it is a pervasive mentality... if you say something positive and uplifting about a person or event, RI'ers will look at you like you have three heads. If you say something negative and derisive, they perk up and readily agree with you. It never comes into STARKER contrast as when I travel and am reminded of what the rest of country/world is like and what they consider normal.
Well, like you say, that's your experience.

Quote:
The notion about RI'ers having "compex" thoughts and higher standards for finding enjoyment is utterly laughable. That's "spin" that would make Bill O'Reilly jealous. I can't pin this all on Rhode Island because this is more of a New England or northeastern United States mentality but I am REALLY SICK of the arrogant, elitist notion that NE'ers are somehow better, smarter or "more complex" than the rest of the country.
Perhaps it's best for you that you no longer live here. Have a wonderful weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 08:59 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,717 times
Wow! You think I didn't read the poll because I didn't agree with your assessment of it and you think I must have never lived in Manhattan because I didn't agree with your assessment of it.

Talk about arrogant!

Last edited by voiceofreazon; 04-26-2013 at 09:13 AM..

Old 04-26-2013, 09:14 AM

583 posts, read 1,324,680 times
Quote:
My experience is that RI'ers will find enjoyment and camaraderie IN their misery.
This is still a contradiction though, a conflict, and ultimately conflicts are a negative thing and hold people back. Also, people in RI, perhaps more so than other New England states tend to be sarcastic, and are proud of it. Yet sarcasm is more often veers towards rudeness and misunderstanding, whereas humor does not.

In RI though,it's funny the people blame each other in holding the state back, which is really silly; can you imagine NJ or parts of California blaming themselves for their state's problems? RI is no less a melting pot than these other states, to say that people in RI act like this or that really shows the cave that some people seem to live in.

Also, I think there are a great many people living in and around NYC who leave when they have the chance, or would like to, or are afraid to. But you don't hear about them much. Given the economy and housing, and the fact that in ALL densely populated places people are more stressed, it's not surprising we rank somewhere up there on this.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltatrix View Post
This is still a contradiction though, a conflict, and ultimately conflicts are a negative thing and hold people back. Also, people in RI, perhaps more so than other New England states tend to be sarcastic, and are proud of it. Yet sarcasm is more often veers towards rudeness and misunderstanding, whereas humor does not.

In RI though,it's funny the people blame each other in holding the state back, which is really silly; can you imagine NJ or parts of California blaming themselves for their state's problems? RI is no less a melting pot than these other states, to say that people in RI act like this or that really shows the cave that some people seem to live in.

Also, I think there are a great many people living in and around NYC who leave when they have the chance, or would like to, or are afraid to. But you don't hear about them much.
I don't know if I agree with that. I've heard plenty of people blame the politicians in the local government for holding the state back... yet they consistently vote the same people in time and time again.

As for leaving when they have the chance, that happens quite often in Rhode Island too. More people leave the state than decide to move to it.

http://news.providencejournal.com/br...eople-are.html

Last edited by voiceofreazon; 04-26-2013 at 09:50 AM..

Old 04-26-2013, 10:43 AM

583 posts, read 1,324,680 times
Good point, but really politicians are blamed everywhere, if anything it's the state politicians. RI had the largest job growth among the NE states prior to the recession here, which was the result of the larger national recession. It has been predicted that RI being situated between Boston and New York, will generally start to resume it's job growth once again. We'll see.

The loss of population has been discussed ad nauseum on this site; birth and death rates vary year to year, which has a bearing on population decline, something the newspapers fail to discuss. Pop decline has never really been the best indicator of state popularity, maybe the Gallup pole should be left for that. But in terms of real numbers, there is a large cohort of baby-boomers who are retiring and moving to warmer climates, and the state has one of the highest frail elderly pops which also accounts for increased pop decline.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I don't know if I agree with that. I've heard plenty of people blame the politicians in the local government for holding the state back... yet they consistently vote the same people in time and time again.

As for leaving when they have the chance, that happens quite often in Rhode Island too. More people leave the state than decide to move to it.

Census numbers show income is leaving Rhode Island faster than people are | Breaking News | providencejournal.com | The Providence Journal
The "HAPPIEST" state in America, Hawaii, lost nearly fourteen percent (13.91%) of its population in the last census. Huh. Guess Gallup was right, huh? Right about Hawaii being SO HAPPY that nearly 14% of its population fled? That validates Gallup's polling methodology, wouldn't you agree?

Rhode Island, the UNHAPPIEST state, lost only 1.55%. To put RI into New England context, Massachusetts lost 3.3% of its population in the last census, more than double the decline of Rhode Island's. So let's put to rest this notion that Rhode Islanders as running for the exits, m'kay? You can slam Rhode Island all you want, but please, respect the facts --don't invent them, for clearly, the facts defeat your assertions..

Old 04-26-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltatrix View Post
Good point, but really politicians are blamed everywhere, if anything it's the state politicians. RI had the largest job growth among the NE states prior to the recession here, which was the result of the larger national recession. It has been predicted that RI being situated between Boston and New York, will generally start to resume it's job growth once again. We'll see.

The loss of population has been discussed ad nauseum on this site; birth and death rates vary year to year, which has a bearing on population decline, something the newspapers fail to discuss. Pop decline has never really been the best indicator of state popularity, maybe the Gallup pole should be left for that. But in terms of real numbers, there is a large cohort of baby-boomers who are retiring and moving to warmer climates, and the state has one of the highest frail elderly pops which also accounts for increased pop decline.
Agree, but the article also mentioned that part of the numbers for people moving here, were in fact, college students to attend school. That gives a false impression of the number of people choosing to move here, vs. coming here to attend college and likely leaving afterwords, especially considering the local job climate.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
The "HAPPIEST" state in America, Hawaii, lost nearly fourteen percent (13.91%) of its population in the last census. Huh. Guess Gallup was right, huh? Right about Hawaii being SO HAPPY that nearly 14% of its population fled? That validates Gallup's polling methodology, wouldn't you agree?

Rhode Island, the UNHAPPIEST state, lost only 1.55%. To put RI into New England context, Massachusetts lost 3.3% of its population in the last census, more than double the decline of Rhode Island's. So let's put to rest this notion that Rhode Islanders as running for the exits, m'kay? You can slam Rhode Island all you want, but please, respect the facts --don't invent them, for clearly, the facts defeat your assertions..
That's really stretching it. Do you know for a fact that people left Hawaii for the reasons this poll cited (high stress and least enjoyment) or was it for other factors like the extremely high cost of living or perhaps a desire to be on the mainland?
This is what you take as evidence that Gallup is flawed. YOUR interpretation of why Hawaiians left?
Give be a break.

You've already contradicted yourself by agreeing that Rhode Islanders see the glass as half empty anyway, which totally validates the findings in the poll and now you are stumbling around to justify it any way you can.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
That's really stretching it. Do you know for a fact that people left Hawaii for the reasons this poll cited (high stress and least enjoyment) or was it for other factors like the extremely high cost of living or perhaps a desire to be on the mainland?
This is what you take as evidence that Gallup is flawed. YOUR interpretation of why Hawaiians left?
Give be a break.

You've already contradicted yourself by agreeing that Rhode Islanders see the glass as half empty anyway, which totally validates the findings in the poll and now you are stumbling around to justify it any way you can.
I've not contradicted myself in the least. B!itching is enjoyable and Rhode Islanders, like New Yorkers, like to ******; Gallup views b!itching as a negative. You really need to think out of the box for a change.

It is irrelevant why people left Hawaii, Gallup's chosen HAPPIEST state. Based on their polling methodology, Hawaii is such a great place to live that no one should want to leave.

Look, you've lost the argument and I've lost my patience with you.

Have a great weekend.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
I've not contradicted myself in the least. B!itching is enjoyable and Rhode Islanders, like New Yorkers, like to ******; Gallup views b!itching as a negative. You really need to think out of the box for a change.

It is irrelevant why people left Hawaii, Gallup's chosen HAPPIEST state. Based on their polling methodology, Hawaii is such a great place to live that no one should want to leave.

Look, you've lost the argument and I've lost my patience with you.

Have a great weekend.
Careful now, the poll mentioned high stress and experiencing the least enjoyment. THAT's what Gallup viewed as a negative.

You tell me to "think out of the box" regarding Rhode Island's poll results yet your interpretation of Hawaii
is rather rigid and inflexible.

You asserted that I must not have read the poll because I came to a different conclusion about it than you did.
You asserted that I must have never lived in Manhattan because I had a different experience than you did.
Then you proclaim that I "lost" the argument and you've lost your patience... again because I didn't agree with you.

Your arrogance really is insufferable.

Last edited by voiceofreazon; 04-26-2013 at 12:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island