U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2013, 07:50 PM

1,697 posts, read 4,145,121 times

Advertisements

I will be taking a vacation to RI at the very end of this summer. Deciding if I should include a trip out to Block Island while I'm there. My questions:

What times of day does the ferry run after Labor Day? (I will be there RIGHT after Labor Day).

Are the beaches on B.I. better than "mainland" RI beaches?

Any Block Island hotel or restaurant suggestions?

What is the best way to get around the island? Bike?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 06:45 AM

11,115 posts, read 18,202,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
I will be taking a vacation to RI at the very end of this summer. Deciding if I should include a trip out to Block Island while I'm there. My questions:

What times of day does the ferry run after Labor Day? (I will be there RIGHT after Labor Day).

Are the beaches on B.I. better than "mainland" RI beaches?

Any Block Island hotel or restaurant suggestions?

What is the best way to get around the island? Bike?

Thanks!

Travel to Block Island Quickly & Easily | Block Island Ferry

There, that was easy.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:00 AM

^ That site is the reason I posted here for clarification. The first time I looked at the schedule, it said after Labor Day "refer to Sunday schedule". I didn't know what they were talking about. But I just clicked your link and found a different section of the site that gave a complete rundown of the full year's schedule so thanks, I did find the info. about when the ferry runs.

Still looking for input on my other questions - better beaches?, rec's for dining and lodging, best way to get around?

Thanks again!

Old 04-29-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
^ That site is the reason I posted here for clarification. The first time I looked at the schedule, it said after Labor Day "refer to Sunday schedule". I didn't know what they were talking about. But I just clicked your link and found a different section of the site that gave a complete rundown of the full year's schedule so thanks, I did find the info. about when the ferry runs.

Still looking for input on my other questions - better beaches?, rec's for dining and lodging, best way to get around?

Thanks again!

There may be a "fast ferry" as well as a regular ferry now, so you might want to check into both. I haven't been to BI in a long time, but I've heard from friends that the ferry system has improved.

When you get off the ferry there will be the usual "tourist trap" restaurants, lounges, bars. Maybe someone else who has been there recently can fill you in on where to dine. Rent a car or a bicycle when you get off the boat, or a moped if they have those, it's a pretty island. I haven't been to BI in years and even then we would go simply for the boat ride back and forth. As for the beaches, I'm not sure there would be a good choice because Block Island has a lot of cliffs and steep shoreline. I do remember going to a beach near Ballard's and there was a quick drop off, not any expanse of a beach "shelf", so be careful. The water is much colder out there also than it will be on the coastline of RI, but it should be comfy by the end of the summer.

If you like to do boat trips etc., and you haven't been to Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket, they are larger and very beautiful, lots to see and do on Martha's Vineyard. Nantucket a lot further out, and John Kerry has a $10 mil. home there, not sure if he accepts company these days.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:12 PM

Oooooh colder water out there eh? That's a good point to consider since one of my main reasons for including a couple days on B.I. would be to enjoy swimming at the beach...

I just can't seem to get a good read on RI beaches. Looked through the threads here about them, so much conflicting info. I'm looking for a more quiet, peaceful type beach with soft sand and good swimming.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Oooooh colder water out there eh? That's a good point to consider since one of my main reasons for including a couple days on B.I. would be to enjoy swimming at the beach...

I just can't seem to get a good read on RI beaches. Looked through the threads here about them, so much conflicting info. I'm looking for a more quiet, peaceful type beach with soft sand and good swimming.

Then if you don't have to be at an island, you might want to consider 2nd Beach in Newport. Or these in/near Narragansett and Point Judith: Narragansett Beach, Sand Hill Cove, East Matunuck Beach, Misquamicut (higher surf), Scarborough Beach (crowded). As an out of state visitor I believe the parking fee will be higher for you. All of the RI beaches will be crowded with families on the good 'beach days', just a heads up if you are looking for quiet, peaceful. I was at Sand Hill Cove last summer on a nice average beach day with my friends and after 2 hrs. wanted to leave the crowd. We're talking maybe 3 or 4 ft. in between "blankets". Not my cup of tea either.

Evidently you have not made reservations, or rented a place at the shore yet? There are some lovely beaches in the Little Compton RI area as well that will be more quiet, but more of a drive to get there. RI beaches attract a lot of folks from CT and NY for the summer as well.

Maybe others will know some secret beaches that are not so crowded. I much prefer the many choices on Cape Cod actually. Or of course, the Outer Banks here in the early fall.

Have fun no matter what you choose !

Old 04-29-2013, 12:53 PM

You are most helpful QuilterChick. My family will be renting a home on Salt Pond / Pt. Judith Pond on Great Island. While we have the house there is the possibility that my sister and I would like to take a little mini trip, just the 2 of us, and that's where B.I. would fit in.

It does sound like RI beaches are pretty much all crowded. Was hoping by coming after Labor Day we'd have a little more peace.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:15 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,476,031 times
Quote:
You are most helpful QuilterChick. My family will be renting a home on Salt Pond / Pt. Judith Pond on Great Island. While we have the house there is the possibility that my sister and I would like to take a little mini trip, just the 2 of us, and that's where B.I. would fit in.

It does sound like RI beaches are pretty much all crowded. Was hoping by coming after Labor Day we'd have a little more peace.
I haven't been to Great Island in many years but, word to the wise, it used to often reek of rotting fish thanks to a processing facility in Galilee. I'm not sure whether it is still open. Unless you have very small children, or it's too late to change your plans, I'd investigate Bonnet Shores instead. It would give you a much nicer experience overall, and be close to all the fun spots in South and Newport counties. The one thing Great Island has going for it is its proximity to Sand Hill Cove (aka Roger C. Wheeler Beach), which in RI is universally known as the "kiddie beach" since the breakwater prevents it from having large waves. Hope this helps.

BTW: Block Island is absolutely worth a day trip, but not much more. You'd pretty quickly run out of interesting things to do.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:51 PM

8,562 posts, read 13,489,049 times
There are great swimming beaches on Block Island. Reviews readily available on another website which if you want to PM me I'll be happy to give you. CD will delete it if I mention it.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:

Aaah, okay, we're getting closer now. I was thinking you are doing this late August. After Labor Day will be less crowded; kids back in school etc., but no lifeguards; you probably don't need them anyways. If you have the house there, then definitely Sand Hill Cove, or East Matunuck beach. Take the mini trip to BI, bring your suits, and by then, you will have found about a spot. I cannot imagine why C-D would delete any information about a good beach. Very odd to keep good information a secret because there are many who read these posts simply to get information without participating.

Some friends of my brother in law have a very lovely home on Great Island, haven't heard anything about odors. But you never know when sometimes at low tide, that could very well happen. And yes, there is a fish plant closeby. It's not really an "island" in the true sense of the word. But nice nevertheless. There are several homes in the area valued at over $1 mil. It would seem that any "odor" problem has been dealt with at this point.

Have fun !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island