Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 06:04 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times

Advertisements

Taveras is proposing this. Apparently some sort of in street track is needed?

Digging in on Mayor Taveras’s proposed Providence streetcar | WPRI.com Blogs

I don't get it- millions for this. Why isn't an extension or reworking of the trolley car system good enough? Or get more comfortable trackless trolleys- non polluting types? Also, read the bit about connecting South Providence to the "wealthy east side" for the jobs that are there ???? !!! At the same time the Kennedy bus central is causing problems with bums and homeless ?? The whole thing seems likes a needless waste of money when simpler solutions are out there- especially solutions that don't require any track. And connecting Brown's med school to their campus??? How come they aren't running shuttles like other colleges???? Why should this be a taxpayer issue??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 11:12 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Taveras is proposing this. Apparently some sort of in street track is needed?

Digging in on Mayor Taveras’s proposed Providence streetcar | WPRI.com Blogs

I don't get it- millions for this. Why isn't an extension or reworking of the trolley car system good enough?
I read a book on the history of RI and at one time there were 300 miles plus of trolley track, running from Westerly to Woonsocket. All gone, thanks to cars.

The trolleys are a silly gimmick and as I understand it they cost of fortune to maintain. Though, I question whether there's the density to support this proposed system.

Quote:
At the same time the Kennedy bus central is causing problems with bums and homeless ??

The RIPTA hub is as disaster and it's a horrible waste of space. I think this plan has been discussed on the forum before -- it's an excellent idea.

Providence should always be undertaking one big project at a time and I think the rehab of KP should be the priority.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:13 AM

688 posts, read 2,134,855 times
A streetcar has tracks, yes. Tracks are advantageous, especially in congested traffic situations. I think this proposal has merit and might help Providence to finally arrive in the 21st Century when it comes to infrastructure.

And since you love everything historic, keep in mind that streetcars were an integral part of Providence in the late 19th Century already. Time to bring that back.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:32 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSpy View Post
A streetcar has tracks, yes. Tracks are advantageous, especially in congested traffic situations. I think this proposal has merit and might help Providence to finally arrive in the 21st Century when it comes to infrastructure.

And since you love everything historic, keep in mind that streetcars were an integral part of Providence in the late 19th Century already. Time to bring that back.
studies have shown private investors prefer permanent transit structure such as streetcars or light rail over bus when making investment. Cities from Portland, OR/Sacramento, CA to Buffalo, N.Y./Norfolk, VA have seen this type of investment. Providence as a mid-sized city with a mid to major metro area cannot be left behind by having a lesser transit system.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:41 PM

And what's not to like? Since almost half of the project is going to be financed with finance bonds, well, if things go bad, we just won't pay those investors! That'll show them. Automatic win for the taxpayer.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:22 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,618 times
C'mon spy, are you seriously conflating this with 38 Studios? haha

Old 06-11-2013, 01:30 PM

Hey, if it's an alternative for 38 Studios bonds repayment, why should it not be considered for Streetcar Projects? Well, ok, I'll stop being facetious now.

Still support this proposal though. The state and its citizenry need to stop being mired in perpetual yesterday.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:33 PM

12,856 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Mr2448 hit the nail on the head. Fixed rail vehicles go much further toward stimulating population and economic growth than buses. Business owners want a steady flow of traffic. In cities where parking is difficult/expensive, that often means foot traffic. Bus stations don't offer the volume of foot traffic concentrated in a particular area that Light Rail (LRT) does. Take a walk or ride down Huntington Avenue near NEU or Commonwealth Avenue near BU in Boston. Chances are, you quickly notice the Green Line stations (the Green Line is light rail for those wondering what exactly LRT is). You probably also notice the streams of people flowing to and from those stations. A number of different bus routes also run along those two avenues. Do you even notice them? If you do, how does the number of riders waiting at bus stops compare to the riders waiting at the LRT stations? It's not even close. The potential retailer or restaurateur notices that. So do potential developers.

Beyond that, fixed rail vehicles do a better job of drawing riders than buses. Tourists choose them over buses as routes are easier to learn and decipher, and locals pick them because of the speed (it's easier to give a LRT vehicle signal priority than it is to do the same for buses) and comfort (this goes without saying... a city bus vs. LRT vehicle is no contest from a comfort standpoint). LRT vehicles also offer a higher passenger capacity than even articulated buses. LRT vehicles can be linked together to form trains for even higher capacity as well (this is common on Boston's Green line an SF's Muni Metro). Finally, there's safety. LRT vehicles are safer for everyone. Tracks significantly reduce the risk of operator error on the part of the driver as the vehicle can only travel on the designated route. Stations are fixed and abut the track which eliminates the lane changing and pulling off that buses have to do (this is where many accidents happen).

At least 1/3 of the Providence proposal will be federally funded by TIGER grants if the project moves forward. That's money that anyone can apply for. So if RI didn't apply, the money would simply go somewhere else. No reason not take a shot at it.

The density argument doesn't really hold much water with me. Providence is more than dense enough to support light rail. Cities like Phoenix, Norfolk, Sacramento, Dallas, Salt Lake City, Buffalo, Minneapolis, Houston, and Charlotte all have light rail systems and all have lower population densities than Providence (some by a huge margin). Providence not only has the density to support LRT, but is the poster-child for cities that could use LRT investment for a boost. LRT will function as a great connection between Downcity and nearby neighborhoods. I think it'll be most effective in helping to redevelop the Jewelry District and newly vacated I-195 land. If ever a city could benefit from Light Rail, it's Providence.

Last edited by lrfox; 06-11-2013 at 02:41 PM..

Old 06-11-2013, 03:27 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
I believe only Alfie actually lives in Providence (of the above posters). So hey, what's 75 mill in bonds (only 39 of the entire 114 total would come from the feds) to an almost bankrupt city with high property taxes? Kind of like saying who cares about tolls on the Sakonnet bridge if you're not having to pay them every day.

I say light rail is a boondoggle that will only raise resident's taxes for a service that can be performed by revising present transportation. The buses here used to run every 12 minutes; I used to take the Hope tunnel downtown to work every day a couple decades ago.

Oh and Spy, I only like historic if it actually is- if you take my meaning.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:06 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,618 times
Holly, you no longer live in Providence? Sorry if I misunderstood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island