Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2007, 03:35 PM

11 posts, read 45,575 times

Advertisements

I am an east coast lady-upstate ny-who has been living and working in houston tx for over 26 years. I am ready to return "home"-to the atlantic, lighthouses and a more reserved lifestyle. I am a clinical social worker and therapist and have always loved the new england area. I have not been to rhode Island since my late teens-a long time ago-but this is where I want to settle. I do not need to consider schools anymore, and since driving the freeways of Houston for many years, commuting is not a problem. I need input as to housing-I would love something older with character and at a reasonable cost. I am also interested in exploring the employment situation in my field. (Housing would be a flat or rental apartment at this time.)Can you help? I need a feel for this area. susan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 06:43 PM

774 posts, read 2,367,642 times
sdhayer,

I'm a licensed therapist with 20 years in the field and I regret to tell you the job market in R.I. is very, very bad.

Most jobs will offer fee for service only, few if any salary positions.

If you need to work to survive, I would suggest trying to find work BEFORE coming here.

You're also going to need to get licensed in R.I., which can be a difficult task.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the job market is worse than at any point in the last 25 years, easily.

Mikey

Old 11-11-2007, 08:35 PM

11 posts, read 45,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
sdhayer,

I'm a licensed therapist with 20 years in the field and I regret to tell you the job market in R.I. is very, very bad.

Most jobs will offer fee for service only, few if any salary positions.

If you need to work to survive, I would suggest trying to find work BEFORE coming here.

You're also going to need to get licensed in R.I., which can be a difficult task.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the job market is worse than at any point in the last 25 years, easily.

Mikey
mikey-thanks for the feedback-why are you stating that the licensure is a problem?from what I can see,from the packet I have, it is basically the same as in most other states.feedback? also, Im not limiting myself in the area of rhode island-living in rhode Island and working in mass.would not be a problem for me. since my licensure is in soical work, other avenues are an option-I have aquired some incredible experience in the international med center down here. keep feeding whatever info that my be helpful-thanks, susan

Old 11-11-2007, 10:24 PM

37 posts, read 180,929 times
Consider that Rhode Island is going through "State" cutbacks, I do agree that it is hard to find a job. I have lived in Woonsocket for the past 8 years, Husbands job, and lived in Coventry for 20 years. If you want Rhode Island, I would definatley seek employment first, then move, if you are able to. Lot of nice areas here, Cumberland, Lincoln, Smithfield up north (More Snow)to name a few and the middle of the state you have Coventry, Warwick, Cranston, and then of course Narragansett and Newport. All depends on what you are looking for exactly? City life? Country Life? Beach life?

Old 11-12-2007, 07:32 AM

774 posts, read 2,367,642 times
The issue is that you're dealing with the Dept of Health in Rhode Island, and they don't always cooperate.
Most people from other states do get their license, but not without delays/problems.

If you're looking for hospital based social work jobs there may be some. You'd have to check around.

My colleagues tell me the job market is Mass isn't any better, and the pay is worse.

Do your homework very carefully.
Most clinical therapists have had to develop private practices because they can't find work (there are hundreds of private providers in R.I. so competition is intense).

Mikey

Old 11-21-2007, 12:46 PM

13 posts, read 61,681 times
I would consider N.Carolina if the things you mentioned are important to you. Forget RI, It has been ruined by the high taxes and real estate prices.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:10 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,157,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhayer View Post
I am an east coast lady-upstate ny-who has been living and working in houston tx for over 26 years. I am ready to return "home"-to the atlantic, lighthouses and a more reserved lifestyle...
I would suggest deciding on a place to live based upon where you work. If you bought a place in East Bay (City of E. Prov., Barrington, Warren, or Bristol) and took a job in, say, Warwick, then you'd have a pretty hefty (by RI standards) commute.

That said, a very charming place to check out is Narragansett Terrace, in the the City of East Providence (Zip code=02915). "The Terrace," as it is commonly known, is a peninsula in the bay and is a very close knit community with some charming (though older and smaller) houses. It is right next to a nice park and the lovely Looff Carousel. Crime in this little area is virtually nil. It offers all the charms of a New England seaside community but is only 15 min. from downtown Providence.

E. Prov. has mediocre schools, but per your post that's not an issue. E. Prov. also has lower taxes than Prov. and does not seem to have the same levels of corruption/inefficiency as found in some other places (like, say, Cranston or N. Prov.). City services are good.

The real estate market is ice cold right now--it is a buyer's market in many ways. However, many sellers have not accepted the news about the softening real estate market and lots of houses on the market are overpriced for current market conditions. They're greedy and want 2005 prices.

So you should be very careful in this market--it is probably very easy to overpay for a house right now. Lots of houses are on the market, they're not selling, and many sellers don't seem to be willing to cut their prices enough to move the inventory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island