Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 03:31 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Not at all. The poll I cited was from early 2010. The rap that Gallup got as a bad pollster came as a result of its polling in the 2012 election. Even Gallup recognized its errors:

Second, the "Rhode Island Most Liberal" meme is repeatable -- it wasn't just Gallup that came to this conclusion.

My suggestion? Be more selective in using the word "hypocrisy," m'kay?

Uh yeah.... you trashed gallup as irrelevant and worthless as poll. Now you are citing it.
Turn in the direction of the skid. That's spin that would make Fox news blush.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:23 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,618 times
It's like you're talking right past them....

Old 08-03-2013, 04:36 PM

4,385 posts, read 3,193,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
Unlike most of the posters on the Rhode Island forum, I'm a native Rhode Islander, so I probably know more "true" Rhode Islanders than all of you combined. Furthermore, I don't view the state, its politics, and its economy through rose-colored glasses which seems to be the theme here. If the gay marriage and medical and recreational marijuana are your top priorities, then something is severely wrong. Obviously, those issues seem to be the top priorities of the state's legislators. It's no wonder why Rhode Island politics are still deeply-flawed, even in the 21st century, and the state is an utter mess. Rhode Island is literally crumbling from within.

In the meantime, I think all of you need to wake up and smell the coffee. Why don't you all try to make your adopted home that you love so much a better place by helping repair the state's terrible economy? At the end of the day, that's the only way to save Rhode Island.
FWIW, ZonaZoo I was born, raised, and will die in RI. I love my state. I'm sorry you hate it so much.

I just wonder where you think this utopian place exists, where politics aren't deeply flawed? I think people in every state in the US are making the same complaints about politics, and even more so about politics on the national level.

And yeah, I think standing up for gay marriage is pretty damn important as the primary function of any government should be preserving human rights and dignity. Why would anyone prefer to live where people are treated unequally by their own government?

Old 08-03-2013, 04:56 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,456,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Whooooooooooooooooooooooooosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik
And yeah, I think standing up for gay marriage is pretty damn important as the primary function of any government should be preserving human rights and dignity. Why would anyone prefer to live where people are treated unequally by their own government?
Well roared, lion!

Old 08-03-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
no, the rebuttal was b.s.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
Unlike most of the posters on the Rhode Island forum, I'm a native Rhode Islander, so I probably know more "true" Rhode Islanders than all of you combined. Furthermore, I don't view the state, its politics, and its economy through rose-colored glasses which seems to be the theme here. If the gay marriage and medical and recreational marijuana are your top priorities, then something is severely wrong. Obviously, those issues seem to be the top priorities of the state's legislators. It's no wonder why Rhode Island politics are still deeply-flawed, even in the 21st century, and the state is an utter mess. Rhode Island is literally crumbling from within.

In the meantime, I think all of you need to wake up and smell the coffee. Why don't you all try to make your adopted home that you love so much a better place by helping repair the state's terrible economy? At the end of the day, that's the only way to save Rhode Island.
I agree with you. There is a theme here of viewing the state through rose colored glasses and the forum has been hijacked by a few vocal "cheerleaders" who will disparage anyone who dares raise a criticism of Rhode Island. It's as if their opinion of the state is somehow threatened by a more critical viewpoint.
Also, the majority of these cheerleaders are not even from Rhode Island themselves. Most of the natives that I know all agree that the state is a mess, has been for a long time and shows little evidence of any change in the works. I personally don't WANT a toothless Rhode Island forum that reads like it was written by a marketer from the department of tourism. I want the TRUTH! Warts and all. If I were planning to move here, I'd want to make an informed decision and hear both sides of the issue.

I brought up Gallup because in an earlier post, a poll was cited that the cheerleaders didn't agree with so they immediately bashed Gallup because it's far easier to shoot the messenger than it is to listen to the message. What was the message? That RI is #1 for least enjoyment, #2 for stress. I didn't need a poll to tell me that, just to have lived her for a while and traveled or lived in enough other places to see the stark contrast. But when Gallup releases a poll that the cheerleaders agree with, suddenly they have cleaned up their act and are beyond reproach. I can GUARANTEE that if they disagreed with this poll, they'd find a reason to trash the pollster again. This is an example of what happens here. A poll is cited or a person has an opinion that disagrees with the prevalent dogma and they are marginalized or attacked.

I agree with you about gay marriage and the point flew right over the heads of the cheerleaders. No one is suggesting that passing gay marriage isn't important or worth celebrating but it is NOT a top priority. There are many, many issues in this state which need to be addressed from the still rampant corruption, unemployment, crippling taxes, etc, etc. While the legislators are busy congratulating themselves there is real work that needs to be done that they are not doing and they are not being held accountable for doing.

Finally, I will finish this with an observation. I find it funny that the most vocal cheerleaders here are :
1) Not even from Rhode Island
2) Spend most of their free time on this forum

I think if you got out more and actually spent more time LIVING in Rhode Island instead of logging on to City Data, maybe you wouldn't be as narrow minded and intolerant of other points of view which differ from your own.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:12 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
There is a theme here of viewing the state through rose colored glasses and the forum has been hijacked....
Uuumm...if we hijacked it we certainly aren't doing that great a job. I mean, we have to read this dreck right?

Quote:
Also, the majority of these cheerleaders are not even from Rhode Island themselves.
Look just a few posts above. Sandsonik. He's from Rhode Island, and has quite a fantastic post that I couldn't rep because I have to spread some around first.

Quote:
I brought up Gallup because in an earlier post, a poll was cited that the cheerleaders didn't agree with so they immediately bashed Gallup because it's far easier to shoot the messenger than it is to listen to the message.
No, you simply didn't understand Alfie's rebuttal. (Natch.) I'll try again on his behalf: Gallup was considered a reputable company with good bonafides when it came to methodology back then. In 2012, they introduced ridiculous new variables into their data analysis, which caused them to constantly be one of the consistently least correct polling firms in the entire 2012 election. This is a concensus view. Everyone agrees on this, including Gallup themselves.

Quote:
I agree with you about gay marriage and the point flew right over the heads of the cheerleaders. No one is suggesting that passing gay marriage isn't important or worth celebrating but it is NOT a top priority.
Unless of course you're gay....then you might be somewhat keen on the subject. And I hate to take up this space to point this out for the 80th time, but Rhode Island is considered intermediate when it comes to corruption. States like Florida, North Carolina and Texas consistently score way higher. But as usual don't let quaint little facts derail your epic haterade fest.

Quote:
Finally, I will leave this with an observation. I find it funny that the most vocal cheerleaders here are :
1) Not even from Rhode Island
2) Spend most of their free time on this forum

I think if you got out more and actually spent more time LIVING in Rhode Island instead of logging on to the internet, maybe you wouldn't be as narrow minded and intolerant of other points of view which differ from your own!
Ah, one last classy ad hominem to see us off into that good night!

But yeah it is surprising people spend so much time on here. It's actually as if there are such things as wifi and iphones and all sorts of other devices that this humble luddite does not profess to understand, that give them universal access to the web at all times!

Old 08-04-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Uuumm...if we hijacked it we certainly aren't doing that great a job. I mean, we have to read this dreck right?
Hijacking was a figure of speech, it doesn't mean you've been given moderator status to delete the posts that threaten your fragile opinions.

Quote:
No, you simply didn't understand Alfie's rebuttal. (Natch.) I'll try again on his behalf: Gallup was considered a reputable company with good bonafides when it came to methodology back then. In 2012, they introduced ridiculous new variables into their data analysis, which caused them to constantly be one of the consistently least correct polling firms in the entire 2012 election. This is a concensus view. Everyone agrees on this, including Gallup themselves.
I understood it just fine. I disagree with it, there's a difference. I seriously doubt that in your opinion or Alfie's opinion, Gallup has suddenly cleaned up their act. I think you trash Gallup when it's convenient to your argument and cite when it's convenient as evidenced in the two earlier examples. In other words, if a poll came out tomorrow which was negative-RI, I assume you and Alfie would be onboard with it now since they've apparently cleaned up their act in your eyes. Excuse me for not believing that for a second.

Quote:
Unless of course you're gay....then you might be somewhat keen on the subject. And I hate to take up this space to point this out for the 80th time, but Rhode Island is considered intermediate when it comes to corruption. States like Florida, North Carolina and Texas consistently score way higher. But as usual don't let quaint little facts derail your epic haterade fest.
The majority of Rhode Islanders are not gay. The majority of Rhode Islanders are affected by the many other concerns that need to be addressed. I'm not saying this wasn't a positive step or should not be celebrated or applauded. It's not a priority though.

So corruption in Rhode Island is not a worthy issue to address because other states have it worse than we do. Great logic there.

Quote:
Oh, are we keeping score on ad hominem attacks now? I think you have me beat

"we have to read this dreck right?"
"you simply didn't understand Alfie's rebuttal. (Natch.)"
'But as usual don't let quaint little facts derail your epic haterade fest."

Old 08-04-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I understood it just fine. I disagree with it, there's a difference. I seriously doubt that in your opinion or Alfie's opinion, Gallup has suddenly cleaned up their act. I think you trash Gallup when it's convenient to your argument and cite when it's convenient as evidenced in the two earlier examples. In other words, if a poll came out tomorrow which was negative-RI, I assume you and Alfie would be onboard with it now since they've apparently cleaned up their act in your eyes. Excuse me for not believing that for a second.
You can't even get your own argument to agree with you. Here, let me help you -- again:

Gallup screwed the pooch in 2012. They admit it. The poll I cited was from 2009 or 2010 -- pre-screwing the pooch. Got it now?

Quote:
The majority of Rhode Islanders are not gay. The majority of Rhode Islanders are affected by the many other concerns that need to be addressed. I'm not saying this wasn't a positive step or should not be celebrated or applauded. It's not a priority though.
To you. It is to me.

Quote:
I think if you got out more and actually spent more time LIVING in Rhode Island instead of logging on to City Data, maybe you wouldn't be as narrow minded and intolerant of other points of view which differ from your own.
Really? My post count is 1.48 posts per day. I'd hardly call that an obviant to a healthy life.

Thank you for the opportunity to correct you... again.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't be a good 'ole troll-fest without at least one terribly weak and tired ad hominem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island