Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 03:43 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,429,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Bert: To clarify : I said "Very few people retire to RI, or to the northeast in general".

I did not say RI'ers don't retire in RI; although a great many retire to FL for example; and all of my close RI friends have retired elsewhere and 3 that I did not know, right here in my own subdivision -- from Warwick, NKingstown, and Portsmouth.

People from other states hardly ever retire to RI.
This is an accurate presentation of reality. Indeed one can go further and accurately say the NE is losing population, period -- RI may lose its 2nd CD due to population stagnation or decline, relative to the rest of the country. I think the reasons are not as understandable or simple as higher taxes, colder weather etc., but something is and has for decades been a'foot. On the one hand, it could be seem as cheap political agit-prop to blame decline due to economic liberalism (i.e. taxes), as it could be a factor of declining financial ability by some of those leaving to actually stay in their home, which could actually be their choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 05:55 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,412,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
This is an accurate presentation of reality. Indeed one can go further and accurately say the NE is losing population, period -- RI may lose its 2nd CD due to population stagnation or decline, relative to the rest of the country. I think the reasons are not as understandable or simple as higher taxes, colder weather etc., but something is and has for decades been a'foot. On the one hand, it could be seem as cheap political agit-prop to blame decline due to economic liberalism (i.e. taxes), as it could be a factor of declining financial ability by some of those leaving to actually stay in their home, which could actually be their choice.
Yes, you're correct, so many cannot keep up their homes (even if mortgage free) due to the high taxes, insurance etc., and general cost of living, heating bills, car payments, yada yada, people could not keep up. Many have or had refinanced or taken out equity loans on their properties and couldn't keep up the payments -- especially if the husband passed away and the wife had to sell the house that had very little or no equity.

It could be the reason you see so many 'housing for the elderly/low income' high rises and developments in RI. Like warehouses for the people who once thought the carousel would keep on turning. Remember, many wives didn't work back 'in the day' and many families lived on one income. Inflation took it all away, combined with the banking crisis etc. Rents are now higher than ever also, many multi family properties are now owned by investors, rather than families. In the past, multis were occupied by generational families of 'tenants' and were able to age in place. The northeast is losing population, yes; but then another generation will come full circle to the last, and the beat goes on. It happens slowly.

Very very few people retire to RI as I mentioned. Let's say some moved to California when they were younger, and now want to retire 'at home'. They are probably the only ones with pockets full of cash who can move back there and buy a house with their gains. Even they are very very few. If they retire with a bucket of money, most could opt to retire on Cape Cod, or somewhere near the shore(s) of RI or MA.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:39 AM

24,508 posts, read 17,962,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Massachusetts has increased 4% since 2010 largely within the 495 belt. Fairfield County, CT is up. Southern NH up into Southern Maine is up. Burlington/Chittenden County, VT is up. Everything else is down.

People go where the jobs are. No surprise.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:57 AM

9,207 posts, read 14,763,261 times
Hello people- what version of reality are you living in? We are not losing population.

The United States Census Bureau estimates that the population of Rhode Island was 1,056,298 on July 1, 2015, a 0.35% increase since the 2010 United States Census. The center of population of Rhode Island is located in Providence County, in the city of Cranston.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:35 AM

12,565 posts, read 21,726,252 times
RI isn't losing population, but it could be growing at a better clip. And people do retire to the Northeast. Maine is one of the oldest states in the U.S. (the oldest as of 2015) and getting older. Now some of that is due to young adults leaving for work, but a lot of that is due to Maine's popularity for retirement. According to this list, it's the 11th best in the U.S. (NH is number 15). There are a ton of threads in the Maine forum that back that up.

So being in the Northeast doesn't necessarily mean that a state can't attract retirees. They can and do. However, RI, MA, and CT don't do a great job of it and COL has a lot to do with that.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:55 PM

464 posts, read 300,381 times
Pros
-We get the best of all seasons
-No natural disasters (if we're lucky we'll get one blizzard a year)
-Easy drive to run essential errands
-Dave's Marketplace (best supermarket chain in RI)
-Great seafood
-Great schools in suburbs
-Best ocean beaches
-A lot of great communities & normal people in Northern RI towns (Cumberland/Lincoln)
-coffee milk, Dels, gaggers
-duckpin bowling

Cons
-You need to travel to Boston or elsewhere if you want any kind of career path
-People don't think big here (love the status quo)
-Corrupted politics & same people always getting elected thinking the status quo is ok
-Very congested driving on inner side of 295 towards Providence
-Our DMV hands down is the worst run state institution in the country
-Our state's debt issues could have absolute devastating effect longterm (ie. 38 Studios)
-Stop & Shop overrunning smaller markets
-A lot of rude & ignorant people live in the middle of the state
-It's hard to drive in Providence (and it's not like Boston where you have the option of a T)
-Bad drivers who sit in the fast lane (yes I'm a RI'er and Mass drivers are ten times better)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island