Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 08:21 PM

3,785 posts, read 2,694,775 times

Advertisements

The city of Providence, small as it is, varies a lot from neighborhood to neighborhood. As to the accuracy of post #24: I don't think that is a fair and balanced assessment, nor objective, nor accurate. That's my humble opinion, as a resident of the fair city of Providence, Rhode Island. Providence is not the only city I have lived in--though it is the smallest.

One can really get a much better understanding for things if you actually put feet on the ground, in my experience. Or, for that matter, even drive through the place! For instance, last weekend I took a drive to LaSalle bakery in Elmhurst, and took a few side streets on the way and back. Elmhurst, where the aforementioned bakery is, has all the hallmarks of a quiet, clean area, nice tree lined streets (albeit still bare of leaves awaiting spring) and well maintained properties. Heading south from Elmhurst, it did change a bit for the worse once I reached the Valley neighborhood. It wasn't as nice there, but still not 'bad'. There were fewer street trees--trees make a tremendous difference in the livability of a place--and there was some trash on the street in Valley, though not too bad considering that the snow banks which have been around all winter have only now melted.

*I have found that Providence drivers are more considerate than Boston drivers, though less so than drivers in the Pacific Northwest. Here in Prov, when I am on my bike, people generally will watch out for me. When I am in my car, or on foot, they won't. Anecdotally, New Englanders do not generally seem to be as educated about traffic laws as they should be. I think Massachusetts and Rhode Island drivers have at some point been rated as the least informed drivers in America. But as the new blood moves in, they'll eventually catch up.

*I find the accents no more atrocious than those of Bostonians or New Yorkers, or southerners. I admit I did have a difficult time understanding the Rhode Island accent occasionally when I first arrived in New England, but the ear adapts. It is a nice riff on the patched together quilt-work of America.

*The condition of Rhode Island roads is terrible. They're bad in Providence, they're bad in Cranston, they're bad in Warwick, and they're likely bad in every town or city of the state. They're not too great in Mass either.

*I don't know if drug use is worse here than elsewhere, but I don't think it is. I'd love to see documentation of the assertion. I have seen apparent deals go down. But I've seen that In Boston, in New York, and in Portland. That happens in the city, like it or not. We don't seem to have a meth. problem like they do out west, at least.

*Rhode Island does seem to be a Bring Your Own Job kind of state.

*It's a pretty big stretch to call the whole of Providence polluted and unkempt. Most of the east side is well kempt. I noted Elmhurst above. Downtown is nice though there is construction going on so it is something of a work in progress. Federal Hill and vast parts of the Armory are decent. My own neighborhood needs work. I pick up trash in front of my house routinely. It's worse right after Waste Management comes through collecting trash, because their collection process is flawed and the city doesn't hold them accountable. Also, some of the less educated people in the city seem to not care about the environment they live in, and that is a shame.

*Happily, I find Providence is diverse, economically & racially. In fact that is a common complaint of some retrograde people who perhaps would like to live in Providence if they didn't have hangups about such diversity, though that is not a complaint I share.

Providence has its good and bad; I concentrate on the good because I am a glass is half full kind of person. But when it comes to Providence, after having been other places, I think the glass is more than half full; I'm glad for what Providence has. There are all kinds of people in the world. Some people just like to lob tomatoes from the peanut gallery because things just don't meet up to their coke-bottle vision of the world.

Last edited by ormari; 03-28-2015 at 08:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 10:48 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post

#3 The few people we have met here who are also new comers....we have bought places to live. We all think this is a great area of the country and the Pros outweighed the cons. We also note that most of the bitching being done by people who live here....they have NEVER lived outside of RI. Again we share a common belief that our experience is that locals view the glass as being half empty way too often. Again...just our opinion and not FACTS.
Most, but not all, of my friends are new arrivals. The negativity of many natives is tiring, and I want positive people in my life. Most newbies are pretty happy here, and recognize the authenticity and unique qualities of PVD.

But I do think that, with some folks, that New England reserve -- that defensive shield -- is often mistaken for being unfriendly and negative, but I don't think that's always the case. You have to gain their trust, and I like that, I love practicing patience with people, and I really enjoy unpeeling that defensive onion. A lot.

The rewards can be quite glorious.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:22 PM

8,032 posts, read 4,696,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Most, but not all, of my friends are new arrivals. The negativity of many natives is tiring, and I want positive people in my life. Most newbies are pretty happy here, and recognize the authenticity and unique qualities of PVD.

But I do think that, with some folks, that New England reserve -- that defensive shield -- is often mistaken for being unfriendly and negative, but I don't think that's always the case. You have to gain their trust, and I like that, I love practicing patience with people, and I really enjoy unpeeling that defensive onion. A lot.

The rewards can be quite glorious.
Well said, and accurate. Newcomers, if you can also enjoy 'unpeeling that defensive onion" often exhibited by native Rhode Islanders, you will love it here even more. These are mostly really warm, lovely people at their core, where it counts.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:04 PM

548 posts, read 816,306 times
Quote:
less so than drivers in the Pacific Northwest. Here in Prov, when I am on my bike, people generally will watch out for me. When I am in my car, or on foot, they won't. Anecdotally, New Englanders do not generally seem to be as educated about traffic laws as they should be.
Very true. Even in MA / RI, drivers are supposed to yield to pedestrians, certainly at actual crosswalks. "Yield" not simply meaning, "stop if they are about to dent your front bumper", but, "stop for them if they are trying to use the crosswalk".

I fear for anyone who's grown up in the Pacific NW and tries to be a pedestrian out here. In Oregon, now, the law and intepretation of it has been tightened up. As the City of Portland wants it enforced, if a pedestrian has stepped into the roadway, you are to stop. Period. If it is a 6 lane road with a 45mph speed limit and no crosswalk anywhere nearby, doesn't matter. Let a cop cite them for disrupting traffic and reckless idiocy, but for now, you stop. If it's a slow grandma who won't hobble to your side 'til sundown, enjoy the wait. Even if grandma _already_ passed your lane, sit and watch 'til she's all the way. Now in practice it's not that extreme, but in theory the City basically wants jaywalking pedestrians treated like a school bus with flashing reds.

If that's what you're used to, your first semester at MIT or Brown could be quite an awakening...

Old 03-29-2015, 08:51 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Well said, and accurate. Newcomers, if you can also enjoy 'unpeeling that defensive onion" often exhibited by native Rhode Islanders, you will love it here even more. These are mostly really warm, lovely people at their core, where it counts.
Yeah. It's not like the South where you have to join the local Baptist or Talibangical mega-church to be accepted. Just be a decent human being. Respect and compassion go a long way here. Be nice, make eye contact, even if some hate it.

Looked, I cracked the Manhattan code and I've cracked the PVD code, too, and in both cases, it took a lot of work and patience. I'm a better person for it, and I can swim in waters both shallow and deep with ease.

I like it here. I love this place. I love these people, and I'm proud to be a citizen of the quirky, unique and totally fab city of Providence. But if I hadn't taken time to learn the local ways, I, too, might hate it.

In short, you get what you give.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:04 AM

682 posts, read 834,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
You must not live in Providence? My sons work in Providence and live on Broadway and off Broadway. They can not imagine living elsewhere. Many young(er) people like them live in the area. they have many restaurants to choose from, bakeries, bars and live close enough to walk or bus it to shopping. If you have suburban desires maybe you should look at others
who love the urban life. But, if you are a true Rhode Islander you will miss these as assets.
You are correct. I work downtown at one of the Universities and the kids are always talking about all the fun they are having. Most love the little city of Providence...and have not issue accessing the exiting things we have to offer...be they the coast, restaurants, theater, shopping, accessibility to both major CMSA.

I do note that those who whine on hear are probably the same folks who whine around the kitchen table anywhere in the U.S.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:49 AM

76 posts, read 108,510 times
Five years ago I left because of the economy....RI is the "First to Suffer and the Last to Recover". And yes, the municipal unions have harmed the state and taxed the residents to death. Whenever I return, Providence is just another post-industrial victim of a city trying to revive itself in different ways, like an extension of the rust belt.

However, this is not my focus on the return visits so I look away from the negatives and take a look at the beautiful and unique things found nowhere else:

- The South Coast, Charlestown Breachway, Ninigret, Quonny, Misquamicut, Watch Hill, etc.
- Beavertail for a walk and picnic (or the other Jamestown hidden gems), pick some edible seaweed and mussels!
- Newport's Harbour & Coastal Drive
- Galilee from the Matunuck side
- The Food! Seafood from the nearby fishing ports, NY System Wieners, Allies Donuts, Clear Chowder, Da-Hill, Dave's Market's Chicken Salad, Felicia's Maple Walnut Oat Bran Muffins, family style chicken dinners, the italian bakeries and spinach pies, the huge amount of ethnic themed restaurants. Kitchens at Portuguese & Italian American Clubs. This is a foodie mecca!!

By the way, drivers are the same the world over, just don't be like one of them and you'll do fine.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:16 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_visiting 9 View Post
Five years ago I left because of the economy....RI is the "First to Suffer and the Last to Recover".
I've heard that before, and maybe it's been true in the past, but I've noticed that Rhode Island is recovering more quickly than the national average this time. This is probably not talked about widely enough (as in, nobody is talking about it at all). As everyone knows, Rhode Island had the highest unemployment rate in America not very long ago, but now we're all the way down at No. 12. While there's obviously still a lot of work to be done, that indicates some impressive progress.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:53 AM

8,032 posts, read 4,696,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_visiting 9 View Post
Five years ago I left because of the economy....RI is the "First to Suffer and the Last to Recover". And yes, the municipal unions have harmed the state and taxed the residents to death. Whenever I return, Providence is just another post-industrial victim of a city trying to revive itself in different ways, like an extension of the rust belt.

However, this is not my focus on the return visits so I look away from the negatives and take a look at the beautiful and unique things found nowhere else:

- The South Coast, Charlestown Breachway, Ninigret, Quonny, Misquamicut, Watch Hill, etc.
- Beavertail for a walk and picnic (or the other Jamestown hidden gems), pick some edible seaweed and mussels!
- Newport's Harbour & Coastal Drive
- Galilee from the Matunuck side
- The Food! Seafood from the nearby fishing ports, NY System Wieners, Allies Donuts, Clear Chowder, Da-Hill, Dave's Market's Chicken Salad, Felicia's Maple Walnut Oat Bran Muffins, family style chicken dinners, the italian bakeries and spinach pies, the huge amount of ethnic themed restaurants. Kitchens at Portuguese & Italian American Clubs. This is a foodie mecca!!

By the way, drivers are the same the world over, just don't be like one of them and you'll do fine.
Agree. The south coasts of both RI and Mass are beautiful and undiscovered. Skipped over for the Hamptons, Cape Cod or the Mass islands.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:12 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I've heard that before, and maybe it's been true in the past, but I've noticed that Rhode Island is recovering more quickly than the national average this time. This is probably not talked about widely enough (as in, nobody is talking about it at all). As everyone knows, Rhode Island had the highest unemployment rate in America not very long ago, but now we're all the way down at No. 12. While there's obviously still a lot of work to be done, that indicates some impressive progress.
A drop in the UE rate doesn't mean the state is recovering, a recent article unfortunately pointed out that the drop in that rate was due to more people dropping out of the labor force. RI is still in serious trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island