Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 09:26 AM

241 posts, read 792,627 times

Advertisements

My doctor won't write more than three months at a time for my blood pressure meds. I've been on these meds for a long time, with great results, no issues, no change in meds for over 6yrs. Why do they insist I come in every three months? I monitor at home on a regular basis, all they do is check my pressure, ask the normal questions about how I feel, then charge me for an office visit so I can get my meds.

Sorry, but why do I have to see a doctor every three months? I can't get a straight answer, just " we have to monitor you". Guess I'm just annoyed at having to pay for 4 office visits every year, when a yearly check up should do he trick. I guess they are trying to cover their a**, but a full office visit charge every time?

I recently lived out of state for about a year and a half, and saw a doctor twice - no hassle, no demands that I come in more often. Is it RI, or have I just picked the wrong doctor? I just came back recently and have to see a dr soon as my prescriptions are now running out, so I don't know if contacting a different doctor would be helpful, or if I might as well go back to the same dr as before

Sorry such a long post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 09:40 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,454,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraydnerv View Post
My doctor won't write more than three months at a time for my blood pressure meds. I've been on these meds for a long time, with great results, no issues, no change in meds for over 6yrs. Why do they insist I come in every three months? I monitor at home on a regular basis, all they do is check my pressure, ask the normal questions about how I feel, then charge me for an office visit so I can get my meds.

Sorry, but why do I have to see a doctor every three months? I can't get a straight answer, just " we have to monitor you". Guess I'm just annoyed at having to pay for 4 office visits every year, when a yearly check up should do he trick. I guess they are trying to cover their a**, but a full office visit charge every time?

I recently lived out of state for about a year and a half, and saw a doctor twice - no hassle, no demands that I come in more often. Is it RI, or have I just picked the wrong doctor? I just came back recently and have to see a dr soon as my prescriptions are now running out, so I don't know if contacting a different doctor would be helpful, or if I might as well go back to the same dr as before

Sorry such a long post.
Why don't you call your doctor's office and ask why they provided only three refills?

Old 09-14-2013, 09:48 AM

Guess you didn't notice this line: I can't get a straight answer, just " we have to monitor you". That is the only explanation I've been able to get
I've actually been told that they will refuse to continue my meds if I don't come in every 3 months. Guess I should try to find a new dr, but wondered if this is standard here before I try. Will probably go back to same place at least once since meds will be out soon

Old 09-14-2013, 10:00 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,643,440 times
I think you should try to find a new doctor. When I've gone for a check on mine, they don't charge at all. Every 3 months sounds crazy, if you've been on them.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:27 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,780,695 times
Quote:

Sorry such a long post.
^ This.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:20 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,053,583 times
you are being ripped off. Most doctors will give you a prescription for 12 months at a time. You can either pick them up monthly or every 3 months. Whichever serves your health provider better and has the cheapest cost for you. When you are within 10 days of the renewal of your prescription go back to the pharmacy you use and have them call the doctor for a refill. Most pharmacies do this. If the doctor's response is that they are unable to fill it, then it is time to change doctors.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:28 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
you are being ripped off. Most doctors will give you a prescription for 12 months at a time. You can either pick them up monthly or every 3 months. Whichever serves your health provider better and has the cheapest cost for you. When you are within 10 days of the renewal of your prescription go back to the pharmacy you use and have them call the doctor for a refill. Most pharmacies do this. If the doctor's response is that they are unable to fill it, then it is time to change doctors.

Do you think possibly that these mega-practices are making follow-up appointments because of health insurance issues? A couple of my relatives in RI who are on Medicare have figured out that is the case. Doctors are leaving their practices and joining large practice groups. Large practice groups can cover their basic costs per patient by having at least 3 or 4 follow ups on meds or "test results" which they allowed to collect from Medicare, thereby increasing their bottom line that would otherwise be 25% to 30% less and would actually cost them to see a patient just once.

Same thing happening here and all over the country now. Doctors are choosing not to see Medicare patients, many have to leave private practice, and are joining hospital groups. Small practice groups of two or three docs are closing. Unless a doctor practicing alone, let's say, owns an 8 unit building and rents the other 7 units to other than MDs, dentists and physical therapists etc., they have to close. What a shame.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:38 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,392,592 times
OP---I don't know what the restrictions are on writing RX in your state, but try calling a local pharmacy and ask what is the maximum number of refills a doctor can legally write?

Here in Texas, its 6 months for a controlled substance, or one year for a not-controlled substance. Don't bother calling your doctor's office to ask, they probably wont even understand what you are asking! They will ask questions like what do you want refilled, etc, etc....they won't tell you they write only 3 refills so they can make money

We have trouble here, too, getting our RX filled. My dh and I WORK, so we're not retired, on Medicare, and have nothing else to do.....nor are we on some sort of assistance and have nothing else to do.....every doctor appt is a major rejuggling of our day, then, you sit there for hours, waiting, waiting....let alone dentists, eye doctors, etc....I try to get all my kids appts during the summer, but we have issues with doctors wanting us to keep coming every month, too, and that's for healthy kids

Old 09-15-2013, 05:48 AM

Well, Medicare is not the issue, I'm not on it. I have always gone to a local clinic, but now that I think about it, this insistence that I come in more often was only the last couple of years. Always had bc/bs. As I said I moved away for awhile, and now I have no ins at all, so we'll see what happens. I don't know any other local doctors, so at least for right now I'll go back to them because of prescriptions about to run out. Who knows, maybe the last year and a half has brought about a little change over there. There's always hope.

Last edited by fraydnerv; 09-15-2013 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 09-15-2013, 05:53 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
Quote:

Sorry such a long post.
The situation is the same in NYC.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island