Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 03:53 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,455,501 times

Advertisements

Seems Republican Cranston Mayor Allen Fung has been blessed by and inducted into the Tea Party:

Quote:
Cranston Mayor Allan Fung made a splash Tuesday by forming an exploratory committee to prepare for a gubernatorial campaign next year. Fung and his chief strategist, Pat Sweeney, sent a clear message to his would-be primary challengers with the committee’s membership: the mayor has the bulk of Rhode Island’s Republican establishment locked up. Two of the state’s three living former GOP governors – Don Carcieri and Lincoln Almond – led the list.
I remember a quote from Dorothy Parker that "getting an award from Hollywood is liking getting kissed by someone with bad breath." Well, the same is true of getting supported and endorsed by the ultra right-wing Carceri. Carceri is a foe of gay equality and is a member of the extremist group "National Organization of Marriage." So. Mayor Fung has decided to get into bed with the frothing radical right. As Benjamin Franklin said, "Lay down with dogs, get up with fleas."

Rhode Island needs to move forward, not backward, and it would seem Allen Fung wants to return to the bad old days of radicalism and cronyism.

Last edited by AlfieBoy; 09-15-2013 at 04:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 04:40 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,996,651 times
It's like we talked about earlier. He can only be rational at the local level. Once he moves up the chain to state/federal, he will not have the support of the Party if he does not tack to the hard right. That is where the Republican Party now lives.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
It's like we talked about earlier. He can only be rational at the local level. Once he moves up the chain to state/federal, he will not have the support of the Party if he does not tack to the hard right. That is where the Republican Party now lives.
Well, as you say, reality and the GOP waved' "bye bye" years ago. Fung may very well be a decent mayor, but he's now willingly been "Borged" by the radical Republican establishment, and he will pay a price that is dear. Per your suggestion, I'd done some reading on Carceri and he was a true p-i-g hog. That Fung actively sought Carceri's support and has named Carceri as part of his campaign leadership team tells me all I need know about Fung.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:37 PM

4,382 posts, read 3,184,886 times
I don't see this as being particularly positive for Fung. Most voters will remember Carcieri as the one who was so fervently pro-38 Studios.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:22 AM

I hope you guys are right. For some reason I fear the politics of the "person" may trump the politics of policy here. I think Fung would be a formidable candidate no matter what the match up. We shall see.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
I hope you guys are right. For some reason I fear the politics of the "person" may trump the politics of policy here. I think Fung would be a formidable candidate no matter what the match up. We shall see.
As we've discussed, at a local level, Republican Fung might be the greatest guy on Earth, but wait until the Club for Growth and the Tea Party and other extremist Republican groups start running their kooky ads for Fung. Like it or not, Republican Fung is going to be dragged to the right, and that's perhaps not the best place to be.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:37 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
Allan Fung has been a most excellent mayor in Cranston
and has my full endorsement for Guvnah.
He lives in a small ranch house, is the opposite of the
entitled Democrat elite in this state, with their ego
trips and exclusivist real cronyism.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:45 AM

I thought he lived in a condo? Maybe he moved?

Old 09-16-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Allan Fung has been a most excellent mayor in Cranston
Sort of like being the smartest person in Hot Coffee, Mississippi, huh?

Tavaras/Providence has Brown University as his backstop, and Fung/Cranston has Toni & Guy Hairdressing Academy as his academic flagship. Rotsa Ruck!

Old 09-17-2013, 05:25 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Sort of like being the smartest person in Hot Coffee, Mississippi, huh?

Tavaras/Providence has Brown University as his backstop, and Fung/Cranston has Toni & Guy Hairdressing Academy as his academic flagship. Rotsa Ruck!
It's too early for Taveras to become Governor. He doesn't have the experience or the
name recognition statewide. You could lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: