Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 06:25 PM

23,485 posts, read 18,630,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
see, Alfie doesn't know this, but I remember when Buddy was the first to hang
the rainbow flag over the City Hall in June. (a controversial move at the time)
Maybe Alf will adore him now.
It's only cool if a democrat does it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 06:46 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,454,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
see, Alfie doesn't know this, but I remember when Buddy was the first to hang
the rainbow flag over the City Hall in June. (a controversial move at the time)
Maybe Alf will adore him now.
Ah, Alfie DOES know this because it was in the Advocate, a gay magazine, at the time. Back in his day, Cianci and Providence were frequently covered in the NY Times; he had one hell of a press agent, plus he made good copy. And the story itself, the rebirth of a dying city, made news.

Of course, it was also rumored that Buddy Ole' Boy swung both ways (see "Prince of Providence"). Indeed, as Alfie knows from his reading, Cicilline bumped into Cianci in a gay bar (the now-relocated Mirabar) and remarked that Buddy frequented gar bars more than he did. That he was a friend of gays is indisputable and is laudable. That he was a "member of the club" is not conclusive, nor would it be a factor in my opinion of him.

I take Cianci for what he was -- a energetic booster of Providence who was played a major role in revitalizing Providence, and that he was also corrupt and went to jail and is a convicted felon. Inconvenient facts, but there it is. But to say that he alone was responsible for the rebirth of Providence simply does not square with the facts, facts with I've cited twice and which you've not disputed once.

Last edited by AlfieBoy; 09-22-2013 at 07:00 PM..

Old 09-22-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Of course, it was also rumored that Buddy Ole' Boy swung both ways (see "Prince of Providence"). Indeed, as Alfie knows from his reading, Cicilline bumped into Cianci in a gay bar (the now-relocated Mirabar) and remarked that Buddy frequented gar bars more than he did. That he was a friend of gays is indisputable and is laudable. That he was a "member of the club" is not conclusive, nor would it be a factor in my opinion of him.
Do you have evidence of as what you would say, these "anecdotes"? City-data is not a place to be spreading rumors.

You're killing your credibility with every post of yours.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:24 PM

Read the book.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
It was stated in "The Prince of Providence".
It's a story (maybe based on reality). Some said the same about Whitey Bulger (from my home turf), but that doesn't make it fact. The personal lives of our politicians are no more relevant than that of any other, and we have no business spreading this garbage on a website with "data" in its domain.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It's a story (maybe based on reality). Some said the same about Whitey Bulger (from my home turf), but that doesn't make it fact. The personal lives of our politicians are no more relevant than that of any other, and we have no business spreading this garbage on a website with "data" in its domain.
Unless it's Bill Clinton.

Did I say it was a fact? No, I said it was rumored and it was in the seminal book on Cianci, "The Prince of Providence." Like I said, it is in the book. Read the book.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:28 AM

8,022 posts, read 4,676,549 times
Quote:
Ah, Alfie DOES know this because it was in the Advocate, a gay magazine, at the time. Back in his day, Cianci and Providence were frequently covered in the NY Times; he had one hell of a press agent, plus he made good copy. And the story itself, the rebirth of a dying city, made news.

I take Cianci for what he was -- a energetic booster of Providence who was played a major role in revitalizing Providence, and that he was also corrupt and went to jail and is a convicted felon. Inconvenient facts, but there it is. But to say that he alone was responsible for the rebirth of Providence simply does not square with the facts, facts with I've cited twice and which you've not disputed once.
Mayor Cianci's relationship with the gay community was no different than that of any other special interest group in Providence. No more, no less. He keenly understood how to cultivate groups of like minded people into loyalty and votes. Always out front. As for his orientation, probably straight, but who cares?

Old 09-23-2013, 06:07 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,583,717 times
I know a lot about Buddy, from myself and family/friends who knew
him as long as 40 yrs ago when he first ran for a spot on the Cranston
city council. I know more than I will post here.
And I'll tell you this, never, not once, was it ever
thought that he "swung both ways".
Yes, towards the end of his second tenure as mayor he went to a couple gay bars to schmooze with some of his supporters/friends who were gay.
He was a politician. He didn't want to alienate
them, didn't want them to think he was "above" saying hi or being seen there.
Buddy's mentality as mayor was that the whole city was his sandbox.
He has a long history of going to bars and restaurants, and still does.

btw, if you want to hear what he has to say about his experiences running
the city, get his book. My 95 yr old neighbor was put off by the vulgarity in it. lol.
Politics and Pasta: How I Prosecuted Mobsters, Rebuilt a Dying City, Dined with Sinatra, Spent Five Years in a Federally Funded Gated Community, and Lived to Tell the Tale: Vincent "Buddy" Cianci, David Fisher, Buddy Cianci: Amazon.com: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island