Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2013, 10:25 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
You hate this state so much- wonder why you live here? Or is it because RI offers you a good job?
I have no idea what you are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 10:35 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Is Obamacare in a Death Spiral? - Bloomberg

Old 10-22-2013, 09:23 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Your last part makes my point - the system needs reform and changes. At the current rate, expenditures will exceed revenues in the early 2020s and the system will be out of money in the early 2030s (2033 according to the Trustees).

Social Security’s financial forecast gets darker; Medicare’s outlook unchanged - The Washington Post
Yes, funds don't magically stay solvent on their own. They need caretakers to tend to them. In other news: The sky is blue.

Not the same as abolishing it altogether now is it?

Old 10-22-2013, 09:58 PM

4,391 posts, read 3,195,009 times
[quote=QuilterChick;31883236

You do realize that Valerie Jarrett, the noted Chicago slum landlord, and other Chicago thugs run the White House. O'B is not equipped to run a Birthday Party on his own, nevermind healthcare.[/quote]

Goodness gracious. Are you under the impression that Jarrett wrote the ACA? Because I really cannot imagine the relevance of this statement otherwise.

For that matter, Obama didn't write it either so I think "Obamacare" is a really poor moniker. I don't understand the comments about "now we find out what's in it". People have had four years now to read it, but here you go. Text - H.R.3590 - 111th Congress (2009-2010): Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

Old 10-23-2013, 10:22 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Yes, funds don't magically stay solvent on their own. They need caretakers to tend to them. In other news: The sky is blue.

Not the same as abolishing it altogether now is it?
I never stated I was in favor of abolishing SS.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:08 PM

Oh let me guess, we privatize it? That would have worked out well in 2008!

Old 10-28-2013, 09:55 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Oh let me guess, we privatize it? That would have worked out well in 2008!
I do not support that position either.

This thread is about the efficacy of the federal government to mandate and dictate what type of healthcare coverage is appropriate for the individual citizen and then compel them to purchase insurance or pay a tax. I do not believe the federal government can effectively do this nor was the law established to solve the ultimate problem, which is the cost of healthcare. It will end up costing the consumer and the taxpayer more (because of the increase in subsidies and those enrolling in Medicaid).

The CBO has already warned us of an 'unsustainable' debt crisis this past September, driven by the massive increases in entitlement payments on the way at the end of the decade. And the latest changes to the ACA (including delaying the employer mandate) now are going to cause it to actually add to the deficit, not reduce it.

ObamaCare Will Now Add To Deficit In First 10 Years After Key Changes - Investors.com

Old 10-28-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
I do not support that position either.

This thread is about the efficacy of the federal government to mandate and dictate what type of healthcare coverage is appropriate for the individual citizen and then compel them to purchase insurance or pay a tax.[/url]
I am afraid you've been misinformed. The Federal Government cannot determine which type of policy you choose. And the newly eligible had no choice at all before. In some Exchanges that number has been multiplied to over fifty choices.

In addition, the CBO's own budget score conveys the fact that the ACA will actually lower the deficit. The Republican budget, drawn up by Eddie Munster - I mean Paul Ryan, kept all the savings from the ACA but also got rid of it! Slight of hand much?

It's also funny how the Right never complained about Bush's botched Medicare Part D roll out, even though it had many of the same issues. Admittedly, it works great now and Seniors love it. Hhhhmmmmmm....

Old 10-28-2013, 11:56 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
So, Investors Business Daily, one of the most well respected investor newspapers in the world has no credibility. Sure.

It serves facts, a/k/a the real numbers, not Kool Aid.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:05 PM

Investors Business Daily serves investors. And last I checked the investment class being unchecked was, to a large degree, what got us into the whole mess back in 2008 to begin with....

Besides, you really didn't negate anything I said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island