Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 07:26 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times

Advertisements

I was looking at local online news Channel 12 WPRI and started seeing
"mugshots from Southern New England" on their web page.

I thought that's odd, how can they publish photos of people who are arrested but not convicted of a crime? And we all know how long things can last on the internet- long past their sell by date.

I did a little research and found this....

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/bu...line.html?_r=0

How easily a life can be ruined for profit. I think Ch 12 should be ashamed. Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 07:41 AM

10,014 posts, read 15,662,194 times
It's done in lots of states.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:48 AM

5,477 posts, read 6,302,778 times
Yes, many other states do this. And really, how hard is it to go through daily life without getting arrested? Bottom line, stay out of trouble and this isn't something you'll ever need to worry about.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:20 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,010 times
Would this be a good time to mention that " freedom of the press " thingy, in your Constitution ?

Just wondering.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:10 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I was looking at local online news Channel 12 WPRI and started seeing
"mugshots from Southern New England" on their web page.

I thought that's odd, how can they publish photos of people who are arrested but not convicted of a crime? And we all know how long things can last on the internet- long past their sell by date.

I did a little research and found this....

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/bu...line.html?_r=0

How easily a life can be ruined for profit. I think Ch 12 should be ashamed. Your thoughts?

So you believe that someone caught with Ecstasy pills in a vehicle should be protected from the law.

Who is making a "profit" from publishing mug shots? Is NY Times selling mug shots? NO. Anytime you Google, your cookies are available for the world to track. Google is worst in planting your cookies everywhere. And there are buyers for cookies everywhere.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:32 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times
I agree especially if it's unknown that the person did the crime.

And I wish cookies were just doggone cookies like they used to be.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:42 PM

645 posts, read 1,275,958 times
As one can see, the powers that be have duped most people into drinking the ʞool aid.

I agree, there are a lot of places out there that profit from reporting criminal records. I don't see how anybody can't fathom that there are companies out there both selling fear and profiting from reporting faux criminals.

We have become a jailer nation. Americans represent about 5% of the world's population, yet 25% of all incarcerated people in the word are Americans in American jails. We've criminalized so many things, we've a huge and expensive court system with too many bored cops to find people breaking social mores that have become criminalized, courts to prosecute them, jails to house them, and parole/probation to monitor pseudo criminals who're not even violent or robbed.

Just look at the comments above me, "Stay out of trouble, don't get arrested..." I'm sure I'll be flamed for my comments, but what else would one expect. I've not been propagandized, so my words won't be popular.

Once somebody has "paid their debt to society," I think that all their rights should be restored and the only time their criminal record is brought up is in a court of law for modified sentencing. While some people who're truly criminal never change, is it any wonder why the recidivism rates are so high among people with prior convictions? We stack the cards against them, nothing's changed in their lives, so they go back to criminal activity. Furthermore, so many things have been criminalized, that it's rather easy to fall into the system. I think it's great that you reading this hasn't become a statistic, but keep this in mind, millions of Americans do each year! We're not all like you! Just because you were never caught breaking the law or you were never a victim of circumstance doesn't make you the perfect model for the rest of society. I have friends who've I've known for more than forty years. They all talk about how honest they are and how they've never broken the law, yet I've seen them slap their children, drive drunk, road rage, and do a lot of other things that are criminal in American society. You've never fudged your income taxes? While I think personal income tax is illegal and unconstitutional, it's still a law nonetheless!

All the topic starter asked is why people who were not convicted still continue to suffer the humiliation of an arrest mug shot and record. Thousands of people are wrongly arrested each year. Many suffer being convicted of a crime when there's nothing stronger than circumstantial evidence to support a rather lofty charge. Millions are arrested and convicted annually of things that shouldn't even be criminal, but when you live in a police state, what else is expected to happen? It's greed plain and simple. The prison industrial complex is real. Criminalizing things, mandatory minimums, and the like are doled out by kangaroo kourts due to greed. It's all sold lock stock and barrel to the public under the guise of safety and protection, so they use a god awful amount of propaganda and fear mongering to get the lion's share of the public behind a lot of bad legislation. We've privatized prisons, there are private companies reporting criminal records, I rarely watch television, yet I've even seen the commericals. One's a pregnant blonde white woman, and she rubs her belly as she states, "Before anybody comes near my growing family, I get the facts" then some www.crimereports.com and for 19.99 you can get a three month subscription...

What won't the Madison Avenue boys and girls try to turn a profit from? If there's no market for your product, create one...

Thanks for reading,
bolillo

Last edited by bolillo_loco; 10-26-2013 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: No Rhodes scholar here

Old 10-26-2013, 02:49 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
I agree especially if it's unknown that the person did the crime.

And I wish cookies were just doggone cookies like they used to be.

Darn tootin'. Like Toll House chocolate chip with chopped nuts, still a little warm. Best dunked in milk.

Back to our regular programming: in the article posted, they were caught with, not suspected of.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:01 PM

23,549 posts, read 18,700,598 times
There is no expectation of privacy anymore. You pick your nose and you will be on YouTube for the entire world to see.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:31 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,456,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post

Back to our regular programming: in the article posted, they were caught with, not suspected of.
Really? Maybe you didn't read the entire article:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
To Mr. Birnbaum, and millions of other Americans now captured on one or more of these sites, this sounds like extortion. Mug shots are merely artifacts of an arrest, not proof of a conviction, and many people whose images are now on display were never found guilty, or the charges against them were dropped.
As to cookies, maybe you should stick to carrot sticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island