Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2013, 09:42 AM

29 posts, read 42,957 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone!
What a great day for New Englanders and fans of the beloved Red Sox all over the nation, all over the world! Still can't believe we won!

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a question for everyone regarding whether or not my wife and I should keep our cars, or trade them in due to the upcoming winter. We both have SUV's, mind is RWD ('07 Jeep Liberty 2x4), and hers is FWD ('08 Ford Edge).

To recap, we recently moved to RI from CA, and having a 4WD or AWD cars in CA is practically useless, unless you find yourself having to go off-road all the time. After the move, we've heard that having a FWD is totally fine, but having a RWD is the worst thing one could have. Many posters suggested that we should keep our cars as the roads get plowed pretty frequently once it snows, and trading in for a 4WD/AWD will be overkill.

Here's the latest update:

I went to a Jeep dealership (I live in Providence, near Olneyville) located about 10 mins from where I live for service the other day, and I was told something by the service advisor that's either a completely exaggeration, a way for him to try to make me talk to a sales guy, or he is, in fact, telling the truth.

As I was waiting for the paperwork, he said that this is the first time in a long time where he had a 2wd Jeep in for service, in fact, he can't remember the last time they sold one. In a polite (and yet somewhat condecending) tone, he said that having a 2wd Jeep in Rhode Island (or anywhere in New England in general) is extremely unsafe and dangerous in the winter, and that once it snows, I will be in big trouble. He said that I will be stuck in the snow more often than not or not able to get any traction if the road has any ice over it. He then said that it's his job to ensure his customers are safe when they drive their vehicles, and that I have do a couple of options he'd more than happy to help me out with:

1. Go check out their new and used 4WD/AWD selections at the dealearship. There are rebates on the new Jeep Patriots, Libertys, and Cherokees, and that I can get into a brand new car today with no money down. He said that there are also special financing on the used cars in their lot;
  2. I'd HAVE TO get a set of snow tires if I want to have any traction in the winter. I don't need studded tires, but my all-season tires just won't do.

I mean, he wasn't mean about it, I just felt like he was trying to scare me. I told him I'd have to think about it as I still owe money on my car.

Any input guys/gals?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 09:48 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,980,668 times
I have never had snow tires. I'm from FL and have lived here ten years. As long as you pay attention to the forecast, and don't live up a super steep hill (and I mean super steep), you should be fine.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
I have never had snow tires. I'm from FL and have lived here ten years. As long as you pay attention to the forecast, and don't live up a super steep hill (and I mean super steep), you should be fine.
Thanks Rnrboy!

Old 10-31-2013, 09:54 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,227,121 times
Lived in RI/MA/VT most of my life and in CO for a couple of years. Never had snow tires. You don't need them.

As far as the drive of your car, RWD will be a disaster. Avoid any car with that for winter driving. I wouldn't say you need AWD, but at least get FWD if you can. Otherwise, just be smart and don't drive in inclement weather.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:31 PM

688 posts, read 2,127,799 times
1. You'll be fine.
2. Keep a shovel in your trunk.
3. Change the dealership.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSpy View Post
1. You'll be fine.
2. Keep a shovel in your trunk.
3. Change the dealership.
Thanks! I thought he was just trying to earn some commission.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:11 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,748,853 times
Although he's right about RWD being more difficult to drive in the snow, that's only because we've all gotten so used to FWD and AWD. If you think about it, it wasn't until the mid-late 1970s that front wheel drive cars were really an option here in the US. Before that, everyone drove RWD. I actually prefer RWD in rear-engine vehicles in the snow, but in general, you want the weight of the engine over the traction wheels, so FWD would be the way to go in the snow.

And as was said, there aren't THAT many days of inclement weather in RI. Wait until the plows come, and then go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: