Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2014, 04:59 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,052 times

Advertisements

I subscribe to on-line NY Times, The Financial Times, The Washington Post, and The New Yorker. Glad to pay -- all four publications are irreplaceable, even though most of the content can be read through a variety of ways for free (and even though WaPo's "librul" editorial page has gone, well, a little bit right wing kooky -- WaPo supported Bush's invasion in Iraq).

I've read a few paper-based Journals and visited their (yawn) metered Web site, and I can't say I'm much impressed. The paper-based version of ProJo is pretty thin -- lot of AP, UPI fluff. Their editorial section is largely syndicated stuff that is of no interest to me.

But it does have local news, mostly dog bites man stuff, but it does cover the state.

Worth subscribing to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 05:03 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Nope.

Just read the tv stations' websites.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:02 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,874 times
For once I agree with him.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:12 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
I find the facebook updates from the TV news channels suffice. YMMV.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:03 PM

8,032 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
I subscribe to on-line NY Times, The Financial Times, The Washington Post, and The New Yorker. Glad to pay -- all four publications are irreplaceable, even though most of the content can be read through a variety of ways for free (and even though WaPo's "librul" editorial page has gone, well, a little bit right wing kooky -- WaPo supported Bush's invasion in Iraq).

I've read a few paper-based Journals and visited their (yawn) metered Web site, and I can't say I'm much impressed. The paper-based version of ProJo is pretty thin -- lot of AP, UPI fluff. Their editorial section is largely syndicated stuff that is of no interest to me.

But it does have local news, mostly dog bites man stuff, but it does cover the state.

Worth subscribing to?
Projo does seem to fill in some local news gaps and try to keep an eye on the bad politics. The editorial page is unusual in that it's socially liberal and fiscally conservative. Kind of old school New England Republican if it had continued to evolve from 50 years ago to be around today. Best local political reporting is done by Ted Nesi via the blog Nesi Notes. Go Local Prov is ok, but it's need to always be sensational and daily hurts it's credibility.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:27 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Nope.

Just read the tv stations' websites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman

I find the facebook updates from the TV news channels suffice. YMMV.

Wow! Has the Providence Journal really gotten that bad?

Old 01-08-2014, 08:00 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Wow! Has the Providence Journal really gotten that bad?
It's the same MSM as the TV networks, so why pay for it?

Old 01-08-2014, 09:32 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,874 times
Projo is owned by a crappy Texas company. The local CBS station is actually a better quality news source. (And they tend to be the most accurate for weather as well.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island