Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 06:19 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,694,500 times

Advertisements

Well put Hollytree. Over here, in the beautiful garden neighborhood of Elmhurst, homeowners tend to be Lawn Proud! A landscape company's dream territory. Providence really does have something for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 06:37 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,456,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
The view from College Hill is just one view of the city- no doubt about that. Where I sit, lawnmowers are more a part of the conversation. No need to look down on those with yards.
Not necessarily looking down on those with yards. Just don't see anything about lawnmowers worth blogging about. And if lawnmowers are part of your conversations, I'd suggest those are conversations I'd pass on.

And while the view from College Hill may be "just one view of the city," it's quite exceptional to me.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:06 AM

9,288 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post

And while the view from College Hill may be "just one view of the city," it's quite exceptional to me.
No one's disputing you. Just asking for an acknowledgement that there are multiple viewpoints. And just kidding about lawnmowers of course- not a huge topic of conversation in my house as I'm sure Independent Man's either. Homeowners do look at things differently from renters, however, and outside of College Hill many live in their own homes.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
No one's disputing you. Just asking for an acknowledgement that there are multiple viewpoints. And just kidding about lawnmowers of course- not a huge topic of conversation in my house as I'm sure Independent Man's either. Homeowners do look at things differently from renters, however, and outside of College Hill many live in their own homes.
Yes, I know the differing views, as I own an investment property in DC that I rent out long-term and have managed by a real estate firm. Home ownership is not something I further aspire to.

And yes, you're right, there are multiple viewpoints. To clarify, I don't care what people do with their lives, though I very much care what I do with mine. And just as I found the blogger's life to be as fascinating as watching grass grow, I don't doubt for one second that people, perhaps many people, would find my life to not be one they would aspire to at all. But if one is going to write about their lives, then for Gawds sake, lead an interesting life, as it makes for better reading.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:37 AM

His point seemed to me to be simply writing about how he/they viewed living in Providence. Bottom line- they liked it. Didn't think he was aiming for a racy autobiography. Sometimes a cigar is just a plain old cigar.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:12 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,694,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Yes, I know the differing views, as I own an investment property in DC that I rent out long-term and have managed by a real estate firm. Home ownership is not something I further aspire to.

And yes, you're right, there are multiple viewpoints. To clarify, I don't care what people do with their lives, though I very much care what I do with mine. And just as I found the blogger's life to be as fascinating as watching grass grow, I don't doubt for one second that people, perhaps many people, would find my life to not be one they would aspire to at all. But if one is going to write about their lives, then for Gawds sake, lead an interesting life, as it makes for better reading.
What one finds as an interesting life, another may find as an inane one. No real need for a debate. Rhode Island is overflowing with all kinds. As Blogs and Reality Television demonstrate, there's an audience for just about every kind of life. Duck Dynasty comes to mind!

Old 01-21-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Duck Dynasty comes to mind!
EEk is right. Believe they're called Swamp Yankees in these parts. I still can't get over the reality show where they were searching for Bigfoot in the woods of RI. (hey look I was sick that day...) Somebody thought they saw one too.....

Old 01-21-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
What one finds as an interesting life, another may find as an inane one. No real need for a debate. Rhode Island is overflowing with all kinds. As Blogs and Reality Television demonstrate, there's an audience for just about every kind of life. Duck Dynasty comes to mind!
Well of course you're right, but there's something to be said for arguing for the sake of arguing.

You know, I think I'll start my own blog -- I'll call it "Seventeen Months in Provhattan." And the words "lawnmower," "weed-whacker" and "yard" will never be found in it. Of course, like Samuel Johnson, I'll need to find my own Boswell.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:14 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times
well, I pretty much have to agree with Alfie on this..
after all, it was she who took it upon herself to start
this very ambitious-sounding website entitled "therhodelesstraveled.com"
which is coming up on search hits, I mean, why do that ?
She needs contributors, and a lot more content. That isn't going
to happen without help, because she's not from here, and doesn't go out much.
There's a lot of old time Rhody sites, but I realize that although I miss a lot
of things about how it used to be in Providence and elsewhere in this state,
there's still a lot on the table remaining, and new things happening.
So, yeah that site just ain't up to snuff.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:26 PM

You know, snowball, you're a smart guy and have a lot interesting stories to tell about old Providence. Why don't you occasionally start a thread on something? I'd really enjoy reading them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island