Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 09:17 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,455,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
This thread was started to make a pretty wild claim about Mayor Fung, now it's time for you to back it up. Otherwise, do us all a favor and refrain from such instigation.
Okay, you've been caught red-handed making a claim that you knew to be false. The Fung supporter is clearly not a liberal and you can't seem to bring yourself to admit that you were simply being silly. That's all I needed to know -- thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
it appears that she is saying that Obama's approval ratings aren't going down because he's black but because of his actual policies. And the day she tweeted is the same day that Obama said this "There’s no doubt that there’s some folks who just really dislike me because they don’t like the idea of a black president".

Obama started it. He played the white guilt/I'm black/race card.

GoLocalProv | News | Fung Responds to Supporter’s Racial Tweets about Obama
I tried reading her quote in the manner that you say she intended it to mean, and I'm sorry, I just don't see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 10:18 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Okay, you've been caught red-handed making a claim that you knew to be false. The Fung supporter is clearly not a liberal and you can't seem to bring yourself to admit that you were simply being silly. That's all I needed to know -- thanks.
I was simply trying to make a point in addressing your ridiculous claim about Fung. OF COURSE I do not know what this person's political leanings are. Fung is by no means a conservative, and has much support from all sides. That is why he had a chance to win in RI as a Republican. We will never know what this supporter's true intentions were in tweeting that, as these things are notoriously taken out of context. I can tell you that most of the "racists" I grew up with are Democrats. Being from MA and knowing quite a bit about the Kennedys, well in private life you would be shocked to hear the things that have come out of their mouths over the years.

Your attempt to validate your claim about Fung being pushed to the far right has so far been a complete failure, but if you can do better I will be here waiting...

This kind of negative, baiting post is exactly what I think JBtwinz was referring to. If you have a question on a RI specific topic, or have information (good or bad) to provide the rest of us on something RI specific; NO ONE will fault you. What this thread here is clearly an attempt to start a partisan political war that has zero meaning regarding RI or Fung's candidacy.

Translation: Time to hit the road!

Last edited by massnative71; 01-25-2014 at 10:32 AM..

Old 01-25-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
This kind of negative, baiting post is exactly what I think JBtwinz was referring to. If you have a question on a RI specific topic, or have information (good or bad) to provide the rest of us on something RI specific; NO ONE will fault you. What this thread here is clearly an attempt to start a partisan political war that has zero meaning regarding RI or Fung's candidacy.

Translation: Time to hit the road!
Oh please, you post endlessly about welfare queens, EBT cards, and "dungeons." As to "hit the road," when you become the owner of this forum, then you can tell posters what to do.

This post is topical to Rhode Island because we are going to be electing a governor in our state, and that's a local item.

JBwinz is entitled to his opinion, but he's not the moderator, and neither are you!

Old 01-25-2014, 11:51 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
It is topical as long as it remains about the governor's race. Threads and posts discussing national issues or bashing another state/area of the country are removed.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:39 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
As a former Rhode Islander who enjoys frequenting this forum it is amazing the amount of times the topics get turned into political and social debates......definitely a much higher amount than some of the other New England states forums (MY OPINION).
yes, that is because there are 2-3 regular posters here who think this forum is the
"Daily Kos"......

Old 01-26-2014, 11:10 AM

m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
yes, that is because there are 2-3 regular posters here who think this forum is the
"Daily Kos"......
Maybe you missed this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
It is topical as long as it remains about the governor's race. Threads and posts discussing national issues or bashing another state/area of the country are removed.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:44 PM

4,382 posts, read 3,184,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
A campaign volunteer for the Fung for Governor organization tweeted a racist comment about President Obama:

His ratings must be getting lower and lower because he's getting blacker and blacker. That's the only thing that explains it."

When contacted by GoLocalProv, the volunteer, Erika Johansen, stated that "These brief comments were taken out of context and the intent behind them is anything but racist."
I can't understand what she's trying to say at all, in context, out of context or whatever. The comment makes little sense.

Unfortunately, she didn't explain it any better in her follow up.

I just think it's either bad strategy or lack of forethought. For a Republican to get elected governor in this state, he'll need to work with Democrats and get the vote of Democrats. Why go insulting who they voted for and insinuating that you can't get along with a president of the other party?

Old 01-26-2014, 05:17 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Why go insulting who they voted for and insinuating that you can't get along with a president of the other party?
1. This is ONE random volunteer for politically moderate Fung.

2. We do not know her party affiliation, if any.

3. Whatever she meant, I think is irrelevant to the campaign.

4. Of all the clouds hanging over Fung, this "tweet" should be the least of his worries.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:32 PM

4,382 posts, read 3,184,886 times
Quote:
1. This is ONE random volunteer for politically moderate Fung.

2. We do not know her party affiliation, if any.

3. Whatever she meant, I think is irrelevant to the campaign.

4. Of all the clouds hanging over Fung, this "tweet" should be the least of his worries.
Yeah, but....one random volunteer who should have kept her mouth shut. Anything that brings negative attention to herself or the campaign is relevant. It's never a good sign when a campaign worker makes the news, is it? I doubt Fung appreciates one more "cloud".

Like I said, I'm not 100% positive what she was saying. If I interpret it as racist though, I'd need Fung to disavow her for me to consider him. I wouldn't vote for anybody who would put up with that.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Yeah, but....one random volunteer who should have kept her mouth shut. Anything that brings negative attention to herself or the campaign is relevant. It's never a good sign when a campaign worker makes the news, is it? I doubt Fung appreciates one more "cloud".

Like I said, I'm not 100% positive what she was saying. If I interpret it as racist though, I'd need Fung to disavow her for me to consider him. I wouldn't vote for anybody who would put up with that.
That Fung hasn't excommunicated this volunteer from his campaign suggests he's not much of a politician. He should have gone into damage control the minute this story was splashed on the e-pages of GoLocalProv.

Running a state is far more difficult than running a small city -- the politics are more intense, the spotlight is brighter, the expectations for political astuteness are higher. I just wonder how well Fung would govern, given how he can't even manage his own campaign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: