Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 03:07 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,752,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
That's between San Diego and Providence. Try San Francisco or LA, or a number of other hubs. I don't even truly buy that link though.

Those calculators are often highly flawed. I did a cost comparison between Tampa and Providence on CNN Money that wasn't even close to reality!
I didn't vet it, just found it. I thought the poster was from San Diego, that's why I chose that city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 03:11 PM

9,235 posts, read 14,784,563 times
I don't necessarily think it has to merge. I once posted a humorous ( I thought- tee hee) comparision with Monaco which is a highly functioning very small place---- small places can exist economically.

I would be in favor of going to a county system- we already have counties established.

It would raise the unemployment rate significantly- what happens to all those newly redundant little job rich entities.........

Old 04-10-2014, 04:30 PM

548 posts, read 812,197 times
Holly,

Granted small can work, but it's tough. At the level of nations, though, it's easier in certain ways. First, put aside lucky little sheikdoms with oil, since that's not us. Or those with special historical attributes, like the Vatican. In more relevant small countries the death spirals are mitigated because it's often hard to leave a small nation due to language barriers and immigration restrictions in nearby countries, or maybe there _are_ no nearby countries. At the least, you probably can't move a couple miles over the border and work/visit the old country with no visa or border delays. Many tiny countries survive via loose banking and money laundering rules, low wealth taxes, and not letting any poor people enter the place -- Monaco fits that. RI can't do such things as a US state.

Anyway, I know your Monaco example wasn't fully serious, but it does illustrate a point. US states have it really hard: countries have various barriers and policy options that US states do not. US cities and counties have bankruptcy, US states do not. So if you can't stop your taxpayers from fleeing, and you can't shed your state's obligations, what happens?

Last edited by neguy99; 04-10-2014 at 04:59 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 01:40 PM

11 posts, read 18,704 times
Hadn't checked the forum for a while and was surprised to see all the activity. I appreciate all the insight on Rhode Island. It's always good to get the perspective of both those born and raised vs those who moved from out of state.

As far as COL, it's actually lower where I am right now. Based on all the calculators online, there is actually a 15-18% increase in COL from CA Central Valley to Providence. The higher COL areas in CA are all located near the water. San Francisco as an example has a 50% increase in COL compared to where I am.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:28 PM

7,914 posts, read 4,577,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfiniti View Post
Hadn't checked the forum for a while and was surprised to see all the activity. I appreciate all the insight on Rhode Island. It's always good to get the perspective of both those born and raised vs those who moved from out of state.

As far as COL, it's actually lower where I am right now. Based on all the calculators online, there is actually a 15-18% increase in COL from CA Central Valley to Providence. The higher COL areas in CA are all located near the water. San Francisco as an example has a 50% increase in COL compared to where I am.
The COL stat isn't surprising. The difference between the Central Valley and the California Coast couldn't be bigger. The two times I've been to the Central Valley, other than maybe the weather, I couldn't believe I was even in California as I knew it from spending time in San Diego, LA or San Francisco. Not to mention Carmel or Santa Barbara. Another world, glad it's cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island