Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 03:01 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times

Advertisements

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Immigrants living in Rhode Island illegally would be able to apply for driver’s licenses and permits, under legislation recently introduced into the General Assembly on behalf of Governor Chafee.
Bill would grant driver

Projo Opinion Poll 2,900 voted 68% against this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 03:12 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
Gov. Sandoval here did the same. Said that as long as they're going to drive illegally anyway, they might as well make them take a test and get a license, thinking it will improve their driving. I don't get it, but, then again, it isn't my call.

RI is already a sanctuary state where illegal criminals can live free of prosecution, so why not. It's just selective law enforcement.

Since RI has chosen to not enforce the law, and has taken active steps to reward criminal behavior, I don't know why the legislators stop at giving criminals the opportunity to get driver's licenses. Why not put burglars on a pension when they retire?

Old 02-04-2014, 03:31 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
I don't think this will get through the Senate.
Too much opposition. But we'll see... nothing surprises me in this state.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:49 PM

Driver's licenses didn't pass here, but "Driver Authorization Cards" did. Same thing, different heading on the top.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:34 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,455,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Immigrants living in Rhode Island illegally would be able to apply for driver’s licenses and permits, under legislation recently introduced into the General Assembly on behalf of Governor Chafee.
Bill would grant driver

Why the "scare quotes" on Gov. Chafee? I mean, love him, hate him or have mixed feelings, but the fact is, he's the elected governor.

As to citing a Projo poll, from the comments I've read by posters there, it is they that are truly "scary."

Old 02-04-2014, 04:46 PM

5,474 posts, read 6,290,008 times
Quote:
Why are so many people opposed to this? We already allow illegals to attend state colleges at the in-state rate, surely we should give them licences so they can drive to class, right?

Old 02-04-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Why the "scare quotes" on Gov. Chafee? I mean, love him, hate him or have mixed feelings, but the fact is, he's the elected governor.

As to citing a Projo poll, from the comments I've read by posters there, it is they that are truly "scary."
First rule of thumb - never read news story comments. It brings out the "odd" in people Or maybe the "odd people".. either way LOL

Old 02-04-2014, 04:55 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,455,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Why are so many people opposed to this? We already allow illegals to attend state colleges at the in-state rate, surely we should give them licences so they can drive to class, right?
I don't drive a car so I have no idea how insurance works, but don't you need a license to get auto insurance? Without insurance, what happens if an "illegal" totals your car? Doesn't that affect insurance rates for all drivers? I ask because I don't know.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I don't drive a car so I have no idea how insurance works, but don't you need a license to get auto insurance? Without insurance, what happens if an "illegal" totals your car? Doesn't that affect insurance rates for all drivers? I ask because I don't know.
No, you can insure a vehicle without a license. And you can get a license without insurance. The only thing you can't do is register a car without insurance. You can, however, illegally drop your insurance once a car is registered. Unless there is a lien on the vehicle, no one will know until you get in an accident or pulled over and don't have valid insurance.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:17 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Well, you could own a car and not have a valid driver's license. Think of an elderly person who still owns a car, but has someone else drive it.

If an illegal without insurance totals your car and you don't carry collision yourself, you are screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island