Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 11:19 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,446,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
My thought is that it's the climate and taxes that put RI on that list. There are other choices for cultured living in places that don't tax to the extreme, and where it isn't cold for much of the year. The thought of having to shovel out of storm after storm is probably not enticing to many octogenarians.
People will differ. I think Rhode Island weather is fabulous -- love the true four seasons. And old folks can hire someone to shovel their walks, or live in a condo. Gotta be around people -- I could not survive in Nevada or Arizona or NC. Personal choice -- YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 11:28 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,769,308 times
My wife thought she'd miss the seasons, but it's going to be 80 today. As I tell people, we have seasons, we just skip the sh*^tty ones

I find culture, also, to be subjective. I am a history buff, always have been. I like to travel and explore historical areas, but have even found quite a bit of history in my new area - an area CERTAINLY not known for culture LOL. I always thought New England had the most cultural history, and that may be true. But we still have our ballet, theater, etc. here (although I'm not really into either). There are great Natural History museums to be found throughout this great country, as well as art museums, music venues for every genre, etc. It's just we have to look a little harder to find them. I'm still very excited to explore the vast amount of Native American historical sites here. For the most part, white history here only goes back 100 years or so. But Spanish and Native history, areas I haven't really familiarized with as of yet, go back hundreds, even thousands of years.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:56 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,991,090 times
Nevada is going to have no water left by the time I retire. No thanks.

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/230888...critical-stage

Old 02-12-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Nevada is going to have no water left by the time I retire. No thanks.

Water Shortage Reaching Critical Stage - 8 News NOW
Yeah, they've been saying that for 50 years. By then we'll either have another pipeline built, or get desalination up and running and get water from California instead of letting them have all of Lake Mead's water. We're not going anywhere

Old 02-12-2014, 12:23 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,991,090 times
Climate change buddy.

Plus Vegas sucks anyway, been there done that. Not my cup of tea at all. The subject is Rhode Island.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:38 PM

The desert is definitely not for everyone. And I addressed my opinion on the reasons I thought RI made the list. The paragraph on varying cultural activities was to clarify my reasoning for the thoughts. I didn't extol the virtues of one place or another. I was offering an opinion as to why retirees may not choose RI. 100% on topic

Old 02-12-2014, 01:58 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,446,700 times
Quote:
The desert is definitely not for everyone. And I addressed my opinion on the reasons I thought RI made the list. The paragraph on varying cultural activities was to clarify my reasoning for the thoughts. I didn't extol the virtues of one place or another. I was offering an opinion as to why retirees may not choose RI. 100% on topic
You know, in retrospect, you made a good point about elderly retirees dealing with winter. It's not just that it's cold, or that it snows (too little for my taste), or that they have to figure out how to get their sidewalk cleared (if applicable), but navigating the icy sidewalks could be a real issue. I saw a college kid fall near the train station (the sidewalk was all ice), and he was pretty slow getting up; an older person might have broken a hip.

Still, I don't think RI would be such a bad place to spend one's golden years. There's a lot to do here, and I can easily see myself with a cane, hobbling down South Court Street, yelling at college kids and complaining about everything -- I'm already skilled at that!

Old 02-12-2014, 02:11 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,280,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Climate change buddy.

Plus Vegas sucks anyway, been there done that. Not my cup of tea at all. The subject is Rhode Island.
Climate change? How is that working out for you?

Back to the subject. Lets say that you pay off your home and set aside a nice retirement via a 401K or some other instrument. Are you all saying you would still leave for another area?

Old 02-12-2014, 06:19 PM

4,316 posts, read 3,147,512 times
Quote:
My wife thought she'd miss the seasons, but it's going to be 80 today. As I tell people, we have seasons, we just skip the sh*^tty ones
But what do you have to look forward to?

I'm serious!

These winters get to me sometimes but there's a certain sense of accomplishment over surviving another one, and the eternal looking forward to the next season.

Part of me likes the idea of living someplace warm, but part of me equates that struggle-less life with death, and is afraid of getting that soft!

(Is there another season you skip besides winter? I think I could be okay with skipping most of winter, but not autumn!)

Old 02-12-2014, 06:34 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,153,972 times
I love Rhode Island's beaches and coastal towns. It's not enough to induce me to retire in Rhode Island, but those beaches just can't be beat. Best on the East Coast, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: