Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 07:11 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) – Providence Mayor Angel Taveras and Treasurer Gina Raimondo are locked in a tight battle for the Democratic nomination for governor, with Taveras holding a slight lead but one in four primary voters still undecided, an exclusive WPRI 12/Providence Journal poll released Wednesday shows.

The new survey of 503 likely Rhode Island Democratic primary voters puts Taveras on top at 31%, with Raimondo close behind at 27% and political newcomer Clay Pell further back at 15%. An even larger share of primary voters – 25% – haven’t decided whom they’ll support in the Sept. 9 election. Perennial candidate Todd Giroux is at 1%.
A prior poll showed Taveras down by six, so this is good news for the Providence Mayor. As for Gina "Enron" Raimondo, I guess she'll have to go back to her boys on Wall Street to raise some more cash for her faltering campaign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 07:36 AM

5,477 posts, read 6,302,778 times
Here's a great article on John Arnold, the "Enron" donor that made the donation to Raimondo's campaign. He was a trader who left the company to start his own very successful hedge fund, and has now retired to a life of philanthropy. The efforts by Raimondos opponents and union leaders to try to smear her by attempting to associate her with "Enron" seem to me to be quite a stretch, but are not suprising, of course. The article is very interesting reading - people should read this article and make up their own minds.

The New Science Behind Philanthropy | WSJ.Money Summer 2013 - WSJ.com

Old 02-16-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Here's a great article on John Arnold, the "Enron" donor that made the donation to Raimondo's campaign. He was a trader who left the company to start his own very successful hedge fund, and has now retired to a life of philanthropy. The efforts by Raimondos opponents and union leaders to try to smear her by attempting to associate her with "Enron" seem to me to be quite a stretch, but are not suprising, of course. The article is very interesting reading - people should read this article and make up their own minds.

The New Science Behind Philanthropy | WSJ.Money Summer 2013 - WSJ.com
Uh, you make it sound like he left Enron of his own volition: no, he left when the ship sank. He's no hero, he's not looking out for common people. He's supporting Gina because Gina supports the Enron mentality of giving the shaft to workers.

There's more:

Quote:
By 2013, Raimondo had raised more than $2 million, a staggering sum for a still-undeclared candidate in a thimble-size state. Donors from Wall Street firms like Goldman Sachs, Bain Capital and JPMorgan Chase showered her with money, with more than $247,000 coming from New York contributors alone. A shadowy organization called EngageRI, a public-advocacy group of the 501(c)4 type whose donors were shielded from public scrutiny by the infamous Citizens United decision, spent $740,000 promoting Raimondo's ideas.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...#ixzz2tUsGzU3x
Her buddy at Enron was the moneyman behind "EngageRI." Now, if you don't mind the governorship being bought by venture capitalists who are interested only in fleecing the state's pension funds, then you go right ahead and vote for Enrongina.

Last edited by AlfieBoy; 02-16-2014 at 07:56 AM..

Old 02-16-2014, 08:06 AM

5,477 posts, read 6,302,778 times
Quote:
Now, if you don't mind the governorship being bought by venture capitalists who are interested only in fleecing the state's pension funds, then you go right ahead and vote for Enrongina.
Yes, God forbid the unions who have been plundering our state coffers for decades have a little competition when it comes to buying up political influence in RI, right?

Quote:
Enrongina
So, we're down to name calling now? Why do you always ruin an otherwise intelligent response with such childish drivel? I suppose it shouldn't suprise me, that's always been a typical liberal tactic. Can't argue facts?? Then badger and belittle your opponent into submission.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:09 AM

23,558 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Yes, God forbid the unions who have been plundering our state coffers for decades have a little competition when it comes to buying up political influence in RI, right?
You beat me to it TK.

It's no coincidence that RI has the highest unemployment rate in the US.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:

So, we're down to name calling now? Why do you always ruin an otherwise intelligent response with such childish drivel? I suppose it shouldn't suprise me, that's always been a typical liberal tactic. Can't argue facts?? Then badger and belittle your opponent into submission.
I don't recall "badgering" anyone. And no one put a gun to the head of the Rhode Island legislature to grant pensions to workers, did they? Did they? No, the elected government made promises that they now want to renege on. Where I'm from, we call that... well, I can't say because you'd feel all 'up 'thet and intimidated!

Old 02-16-2014, 08:46 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
I'm a union person but I'm very much in favor of what Gina has done. The deals done by the people here were nothing short of unconscionable and unsustainable. Huge cost of living raises, early retirement deals, buying of extra years for a couple thousand dollars, political favors, and so on ad nauseum. All on the taxpayers back. The state workers are and were entitled to pensions but not at the expense of the financial health of the entire state.

The latest deal will still call for cities and towns to come up with millions more. Gina was the only one who had the cajones to make real progress and that should be rewarded.

Taveres is not bad and has done some good things but nothing especially significant. He and his staff got raises this year of course and the city hall staff has gone from Italian to Hispanic.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
The latest deal will still call for cities and towns to come up with millions more. Gina was the only one who had the cajones to make real progress and that should be rewarded.
The only "rewards" will be to the hedge fund contributors to which "Gina" has vested 14% of the state's pension fund -- over $1 billion dollars. And what did "Gina" get in return? Hundreds of thousands of dollars in campaign contributions from -- wait, wait -- hedge fund managers! See how that works? You don't have to be from Manhattan to understand the revolving door of Wall street.

Quote:
Taveres is not bad and has done some good things but nothing especially significant. He and his staff got raises this year of course and the city hall staff has gone from Italian to Hispanic.
Ouch! You know, that borders on being seen by some as a possibly racially insensitive remark. Not to me, of course, but I could see where some who are not familiar with your posting style might think that.

And please, how about spelling the mayor's name correctly? It's Taveras, not Taveres.

Last edited by AlfieBoy; 02-16-2014 at 09:20 AM..

Old 02-16-2014, 09:21 AM

8,032 posts, read 4,696,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I'm a union person but I'm very much in favor of what Gina has done. The deals done by the people here were nothing short of unconscionable and unsustainable. Huge cost of living raises, early retirement deals, buying of extra years for a couple thousand dollars, political favors, and so on ad nauseum. All on the taxpayers back. The state workers are and were entitled to pensions but not at the expense of the financial health of the entire state.

I agree completely and can't add a thing!!

Old 02-16-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
I agree completely and can't add a thing!!
Saddened to read this. I thought you respected the sanctity of a signed agreement and respected the rule of law. Guess I was wrong.

No one -- no one -- put a gun to the legislature when the matter of pensions was addressed. They signed on the dotted line with the full faith and backing of the state. End Of Story.

This is madness! To walk-back from a duly vetted and properly authorized agreement! Look, if I were selling my house, by way of example, at an inflated price and you willingly bought it at an inflated price, what recourse do you have? None. You bought it, you own it. Same with pensions -- same with any binding agreement.

It's right wing opportunists like Raimondo who are destroying this state and this country. This creature is not to be trusted. She's a Rand Paul in Talbots clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island