Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 07:13 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Actually there is another health insurance firm from MA coming into Rhody very soon; so you can finally cease these insurance rants.
There are may other quasi or partial coverage known as "limited benefit" or "hospital surgical" plans. Some of these are added on to discount plans sold by non-licensed people. They are taking BIG TIME ADVANTAGE of Rhode Islanders and letting them think that they have purchased Catastrophic coverage (at least). However, these policies at best will cover 5% or less of a catastrophic hospital bill. Just visit Ripoff Report: By Consumers, For Consumers for details on the biggest scammers.

All I can say as an independent agent, founder of the Rhode Island chapter of the National Association of Health Underwriters is, " BUYER BEWARE!" Except for the plan I mentioned previously (with one exception, of a company that offers continuous policies of short-term medical coverage, one right after the next), there is NOTHING LEGIT that will pay for a 1.5 million dollar hospital bill in Rhode Island. I can tell you about that if you email me privately.

Trust me as an insider I KNOW about the health insurance scene in RI. Just visit Rhode Island Association of Health Underwriters for an overview. This was the chapter's website during the period we were TRYING to get the Rhode Island Government to TAKE ADVANTAGE of the opportunity we were offering to end the health insurance crisis by FIXING the state insurance regulations. Until this is done, no legitimate health insurer will offer really comprehensive coverage in the state of RI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 07:37 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
'Fraid not Rhode Island.
Here in SC there are not only lots of insurance companies doing business but there are hundreds of plans to choose from. The City of Charleston is only 2/3 the size of Providence yet when it comes to cities known for having the widest array of and best restaurants, national travel magazines ranks it second behind San Francisco. It has the most historic homes and the oldest preservation society in the country. The greater Charleston area may be bigger than the city of Boston population wise. In fact with so many people leaving Rhode Island it might be almost the size of the state of Rhode Island by now.
Actually, Charleston metro (however big that is) has about 600,000 people. But, like many cities in the South (Atlanta comes to mind), the city of Charleston itself only has about 115,000 folks. The city of Boston alone has over 500,000 people.

Plus, given the extreme heat and humidity and the threat of strong hurricanes, I think I'll pass on living in Charleston.

I won't say here that RI is the best place in the country, but the way you describe the state, you would make it seem like some hellhole. Living in the South now for 3 years and experiencing some of the most backwards policies and attitudes I only imagined existed. RI is a very great place to live.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:19 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,874 times
Wxjay, do you care to expand on what you mean by "backwards policies and attitudes"?

Cheers.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:50 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,505 times
Default Hey, what curse brought this back to the top?? (LOL)

Just checking in, happy to see I'm back on the front pages of what passes for "da news" in these weird modern times.

Having been back living in RI for 8 months now, I actually feel better about it. I'm sure there are plenty worse places than RI in the US.

A big thing for me is I grew up here, and I do not want to live my life here. Can anyone relate to this? Maybe part of it is, this is where my parents live, and where they raised me, and they are not people I admire or respect or even like, unfortunately.

BTW, I've been meaning to mention, ahem, Rhode Island is NOT a liberal state. It is a fascistic, conservative and intolerant state. Just look at who is governor of RI, Carcieri, an extreme rabid right-wing freak. How did this loon get voted in for a second term? RI is not liberal or progressive.

One experiences this in many places in the US. People who claim to be liberal or progressive but are really just like the neurotic witch-hunters in the Plymouth Bay Colony in the 17th century.

My general feel for RI is it is authoritarian and corrupt. So long as you don't mess with the wrong cops or people in power, you can fly under the radar if you're lucky and live like your average non-law-abiding patriotic American. This is a state where brute power rules and money talks, there are established networks and you don't mess baby if you wanna live or keep the use of your limbs. (Kinda sounds like modern-day Russian really).

Some examples:

When I jog in RI I worry that a cop will stop me and harrass me just for jogging through suburban neighborhoods. I'm serious folks.

There are roads which are main thoroughfares without alternative routes in RI, but bicycling or walking is prohibited. WTF?? This is America, you can't make public roads and limit them only to people rich enough to own cars. WTF? This can't be real. Ever heard of the US Constitution and Bill of Rights?? Hello?? IT'S REAL IN RI BABY !

The attitude of most RI cops (and I have met some nice ones, too, ahem) is, "if you don't do what I say right away, you are gonna be handcuffed and I'm gonna whup your ass and get away with it so don't f@#c with me cuz I'm an RI cop!"

If you are busted in RI with so much as one joint of marijuana you are going to jail and getting a hefty fine (hundreds of dollars). What's next, go to jail for drinking orange juice?? Shoot, the weed here doesn't even get me high, might as well make smoking hay illegal in RI !!

Which brings me to my next example, do not get cited for violations or get in trouble with the law while you are in RI, unless you are wealthy, then it's no problem at all. RI uses the legal system to just milk everybody for their money. If you have been to traffic or municipal court in RI, I know you and your wallet know just what I'm talking about.

BTW, anyone else notice global warming has been just dandy for RI. Much less humid and significantly sunnier than when I grew up here in the 70's and 80's. YAAYYY !!

Old 06-16-2008, 05:33 AM

257 posts, read 1,335,447 times
Has a cop actually harrassed you for jogging in suburban neighborhoods? I've NEVER in my life heard of such a thing happening. And where are these roads (other than the two bridges and interstate highways) that don't allow pedestrians or bicyclists?

Old 06-17-2008, 12:17 PM

7 posts, read 15,925 times
Default RI sucks.. ok for maybe a weekend - a short one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
The OP's complaints are, for the most part, not unjustified. RI *is* colder and drearier than many other parts of the U.S. I agree with his/her finding that Rhode Islanders are complacent/sluggish. There does not seem to as much of a competitive ethos here--it is not a place for movers and shakers. There is an very sedentary attitude among people--many don't travel much, don't stray too far from home, and show limited interest in upward social mobility. Taxes *are* high, and there is a lack of awareness or sensitivity to the economic competitive disadvantage that this poses to the state. The roads *are* substandard, and the bridges are even worse--simply appalling. The cost of living is higher than in many (though by no means all) other parts of the U.S. Housing, in particular, is expensive, old, and small. The economy is very mature and population growth is nil, and this makes job growth very slow.

But I will disagree with the author on a few points. For a city its size, Providence actually has a pretty good nightlife and downtown scene (the author note the contributions that higher ed. in the area makes to this, for example). No, it's not New York, Boston, or Chicago. But compared to many sun belt and rust belt cities, Providence is doing pretty well on this front. And I disagree that you have to drive 30 minutes to get anywhere in RI. From most places in RI, you drive 30 mintes are you're in another state! Some places are remote (Little Compton, for example) but I've found proximity to things to be quite good.

So why do people live in RI? For the good points the OP points out. Most people are honest and decent. Except in troubled urban ghettos, crime is extremely low. Community ties are exceptionally strong. There are some lovely towns and suburbs in the state. It is diverse. Providence is an attractive city (at least the downtown and east side areas). The airport is close and VERY convenient. Trains and buses are widely available. Good restaurants, too. But the piece de la resistance is the coastal scenery--picture-postcard scenery abounds; Norman Rockwell-like scenes throughout the state. Natives take it for granted, but newcomers and visitors (during summer and fall) will find scenery that's right out of a Hollywood movie.

yeah.. RI is nice for a weekend in Spring or fall maybe summer too.. Parts are truly beautful but having lived there over 35 years since my birth and now that I have lived in Miami for 2.5 years I can honestly say RHODE ISLAND blows compared to many other states if not only for the rotten climate but for the fact that is has some of the dumbest people living there who think they are some of the smartest..

I am disgusted with RI and when I go back to visit my family I am bored to tears and can't wait to leave...

F --- you --- Rhode Island! I HATE RI wish I moved earlier..

Rob Crowley

Old 06-22-2008, 07:34 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robjc123 View Post
yeah.. RI is nice for a weekend in Spring or fall maybe summer too.. Parts are truly beautful but having lived there over 35 years since my birth and now that I have lived in Miami for 2.5 years I can honestly say RHODE ISLAND blows compared to many other states if not only for the rotten climate but for the fact that is has some of the dumbest people living there who think they are some of the smartest..

I am disgusted with RI and when I go back to visit my family I am bored to tears and can't wait to leave...

F --- you --- Rhode Island! I HATE RI wish I moved earlier..

Rob Crowley
LOL Yea I left also its a pretty state but thats about it for me. I have family up there in cranston and bristol.

The only things I miss are the Bristol 4th parade and the seafood.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:01 AM

3 posts, read 8,162 times
I'm not sure I understand why people come to this board to curse and whine about a state. Every state has ups and downs, good things and bad. It seems pretty sad to imagine someone sitting at their computer writing a long diatribe about their hatred for a general geographic area. If that seems like a good use of your time, I'd imagine you may have some other issues you want to address before blaming your problems on whichever state you live in.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:38 AM

564 posts, read 1,880,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbinsd View Post
I'm not sure I understand why people come to this board to curse and whine about a state. Every state has ups and downs, good things and bad. It seems pretty sad to imagine someone sitting at their computer writing a long diatribe about their hatred for a general geographic area. If that seems like a good use of your time, I'd imagine you may have some other issues you want to address before blaming your problems on whichever state you live in.
Spot on. The roads go both ways...."Don't let the door hit you where the good Lord done split you!"

Old 06-26-2008, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 31,878 times
Default OP is dead right

I used to love this state... Then I grew up. I've lived elsewhere during my life and I thought the southeast was a bit behind the times, man I wished I stayed there (go ahead, my sweet fellow citizens, say something smarmy like "I wish you stayed too" or "why don't you go back there") (Now you won't, right, you were never gonna say that in the first place, right?) This is not the same place anymore. This must be the drug capitol of the world for one thing, and whosoever is not in that circle is incredibly stuck up. The meanness and cruelty that I have experienced and watched other people deal with has been mind blowing. There are a lot of very nice people, but they are few and far between, I get shocked when someone is pleasant and respectful. Let me say again I used to love this state, this was the best place in the world. Now it's just rudeness, arrogance and boorishness. Last night some kids in my neighborhood were knocking on people's doors and running away. The neighbors flipped out, called the police, the police went flying down my little suburban street like a gun had been fired and all the neighbors were outside gossiping about these evil children. Just a recent example. It's ridiculous. My friend was beaten by her crackhead husband and the school where her children goes thinks it was her fault and that he's a great guy, never mind the 17 year old he was having an "affair" with. This place has become a big psych ward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island