Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 04:18 AM

8,024 posts, read 4,694,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neguy99 View Post
I think that may be the area I'm talking about, east of the park, just south the Providence city line, streets like Bay View or Northup off of Broad. Right now it gets a lot better past Armington or Wentworth. I'm wondering if the northern part of Edgewood is getting worse, i.e., the street at which blight starts is 'creeping' (*) to the south further down Broad.

Or were you talking some other area?

(*) I think I brought in the word "creep", and I want to be clear my intent was not to hint at ethnicity. When I say blight, I mean blight -- homes not being cared for, graffiti present, SFHs transitioning to rentals with high turnover rates, etc. I've seen neighborhoods that fit that bill that are almost all white, and great neighborhoods that are mostly non-white.

In several cities I'm familiar with, the hip new tech meccas, you would expect areas like Edgewood or East Providence to be rapidly gentrifying, while the inner ring of 1950s suburbs would be decaying, places like say Cranston/Warwick around the malls.

In Portland OR, for example, I've seen $300,000 new rowhouses put up literally next door to crumbling bungalows with gang tags and broken down cars in the yard. Or, someone keeps the bungalow and does a HGTV-level rehab inside. People will do that, because it pays off: a few years later, all of those bungalows are gone or gutted and it's a street of nothing but $600,000 homes. Meanwhile, the Brady Bunch belt of large 1960s ranches is slowly turning into Section 8 rental territory. Similar in Seattle, SFO, etc. And something similar in parts of Boston (South End, Somerville, etc)

I don't think that's the story for Providence, at least outside a very few spots.
Unfortunately, Providence doesn't currently have the economic engine to create much gentrification in the sense you describe seeing in other cities. The tide here goes in and out depending on the real estate market. As you indicate, avoid buying the nicest single family in a block of absentee owned multi-families almost anywhere. And again, you understand there is more value in the historic areas closer to Providence than the farther out tract suburbs developed in the 50's thru 70's. However, don't discount architect designed, custom built mid-century houses (anywhere) built during the same period. These are the hottest jewels in today market!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 05:35 AM

9,288 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
However, don't discount architect designed, custom built mid-century houses (anywhere) built during the same period. These are the hottest jewels in today market!
Garden City in Cranston seems to have a trove of these.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:39 AM

9,288 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
So you're saying that it's diffiucult to find a nice property in a good neighborhood in RI under $350K ?

ROFLMBO !
Why would you "laugh your butt off" at that?

Property values are high here in good neighborhoods.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Right. While Garden City has it's share of standard tract ranch houses, there are a few architect designed mid-centuries, sprinkled in, particularly along Reservoir Av.. These large ones on Reservoir were built and lived in by the plat's developer.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:05 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post

Dean Estates in Cranston, is a lovely non-cookie-cutter neighborhood. Well kept, a nice mix of architectural designed homes, very nice family neighborhood. Contemporary, traditional, and many brick and/or partial brick homes. There is not a big turnover in property sales in there, mostly normal attrition or job relocations and Dean Estates has stood the test of time in popularity. Well located between Reservoir Av. and Oaklawn Av.

That is the area I would suggest to the OP for solid values in the Cranston / Warwick area in both price range and amenities.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:26 AM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neguy99 View Post
I think that may be the area I'm talking about, east of the park, just south the Providence city line, streets like Bay View or Northup off of Broad. Right now it gets a lot better past Armington or Wentworth. I'm wondering if the northern part of Edgewood is getting worse, i.e., the street at which blight starts is 'creeping' (*) to the south further down Broad.

Or were you talking some other area?

(*) I think I brought in the word "creep", and I want to be clear my intent was not to hint at ethnicity. When I say blight, I mean blight -- homes not being cared for, graffiti present, SFHs transitioning to rentals with high turnover rates, etc. I've seen neighborhoods that fit that bill that are almost all white, and great neighborhoods that are mostly non-white.

In several cities I'm familiar with, the hip new tech meccas, you would expect areas like Edgewood or East Providence to be rapidly gentrifying, while the inner ring of 1950s suburbs would be decaying, places like say Cranston/Warwick around the malls.

In Portland OR, for example, I've seen $300,000 new rowhouses put up literally next door to crumbling bungalows with gang tags and broken down cars in the yard. Or, someone keeps the bungalow and does a HGTV-level rehab inside. People will do that, because it pays off: a few years later, all of those bungalows are gone or gutted and it's a street of nothing but $600,000 homes. Meanwhile, the Brady Bunch belt of large 1960s ranches is slowly turning into Section 8 rental territory. Similar in Seattle, SFO, etc. And something similar in parts of Boston (South End, Somerville, etc)

I don't think that's the story for Providence, at least outside a very few spots.
All I can say is that neighborhood (the bad area I speak of) is noticeably worse compared to 10-15 years ago. Don't know how that is or WILL affect the nicer streets in Edgewood, but it's not a risk I would take IMHO. I am also not a realtor and I don't prefer urban areas.

Of course race and ethnicity have nothing to do with it. As a newbie here, you will find that some have to insert that into everything they don't agree with (in order to ostracize the poster with conflicting views).

As far as the "inner suburbs" in RI. Well, most of them haven't really been "ghettofied" yet; but they have been on a slow slide if you know what I mean. They just aren't as nice as they were, and with the current state of things are unlikely to get better.

Like QuilterChick suggested, for you I might look into Pawtuxet Village.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Dean Estates in Cranston, is a lovely non-cookie-cutter neighborhood. Well kept, a nice mix of architectural designed homes, very nice family neighborhood. Contemporary, traditional, and many brick and/or partial brick homes. There is not a big turnover in property sales in there, mostly normal attrition or job relocations and Dean Estates has stood the test of time in popularity. Well located between Reservoir Av. and Oaklawn Av.

That is the area I would suggest to the OP for solid values in the Cranston / Warwick area in both price range and amenities.
While Dean Estates is a solid neighborhood, the OP seems to be looking for a more sophisticated environment closer to the City.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:34 AM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
While Dean Estates is a solid neighborhood, the OP seems to be looking for a more sophisticated environment closer to the City.
No the OP just mentioned how they were also looking into 50s/60s neighborhoods in Warwick/Cranston (while they prefer more urban).

And how is Dean Estates not "sophisticated"? Maybe not hip and urban.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
No the OP just mentioned how they were also looking into 50s/60s neighborhoods in Warwick/Cranston (while they prefer more urban).

And how is Dean Estates not "sophisticated"? Maybe not hip and urban.
Yes, I certainly agree, I've never heard of Dean Estates referred to as hip or urban.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:24 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Dean Estate has always been one of the more desirable neighborhoods in the entire state. Solid well built homes by the best contractors in the state at the time. Many physicians, attorneys, and professionals originally built in there, the homes are lovely and hold their value. As a matter of fact, when many follks retired and downsized, they stayed in the same general neighborhood in the high end apartments and condos nearby.

Far superior to any Edgewood neighborhood, and consistently sought after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island