Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2014, 08:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,024 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move but have been more than a little disappointed with the options. I've been looking for a 1 bedroom (or studio, but those seem rare/nonexistent) in the Armory district and all I've found are too expensive for what they're offering.

$800 to $1000 for a 1 bedroom with no utilities (or just hot water) sound reasonable for an up and coming area? Is the armory district "up and coming" anymore? I would understand if these places were at least updated. I get the charm of older houses, but drafty windows, sketchy bathrooms, old carpet, and dirty is hardly charming.

Would waiting to look during the summer mean more places would open up at more reasonable prices (700-750 range)? I've been going back and forth on whether I should suck it up and get a roommate. 2 bedroom places aren't that much more expensive and it would mean savings of at least $300/month. I don't know that I could handle sharing a space with a stranger though.

I'm just trying to get a sense of what my expectations should be, and if I'm being unrealistic with my price expectations.

The armory is my top location choice, but I'm also considering Wickenden area. The East Side seems out of the question for the prices (even dingy basements rent for a lot of money).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 10:02 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,698,379 times
You pretty much get the lay of the rental landscape in PVD. The Armory offers value, if that's your top choice. As far as it being "up and coming", that can be a long journey for neighborhoods once way down and the Armory is well on its way up. The rental market is very tight all over Providence for decent space. As you've found, one bedrooms are in greatest demand for the same reasons you suggest: Nobody wants to live with a stranger, if it can be avoided. Good luck!

Old 03-17-2014, 10:14 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
I would add that property taxes are ridiculously high for RE investors in the area which shoots up rents.
Not that that is any consolation.

Having said that, if you look closely enough your budget can work. Driving around looking for signs, contacting realtors (landlord pays fees) might be a good idea too. Have you also looked at the Riverside section of East Providence? Just a few minutes to the East Side.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:18 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Honestly, 700-750 is a little on the low side for something decent.. and a decent neighborhood.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 2,024 times
Thanks everyone for the responses (and tips). I'm trying to be a little more flexible with my budget and keeping my eyes open.

I actually found a place for $900, prime location, renovated, utilities included. And it rented within days. And not to me. So I'm hoping to find a similar place. Fingerscrossed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island