Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 03:29 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Defining "Urban" as a dense city environment composed of an ethnically and income diverse population. Which areas in Rhode Island would you recommend as "decent" to folks??

Depends on their wants and needs, and their housing budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 04:32 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,694,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Depends on their wants and needs, and their housing budget.
Let's say they want and need this: a safe 2-3 bedroom house, must have historic character with a small urban yard. Fixer ok. Neighborhood must be diverse by income and ethnicity. Budget: up to $300,000.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:32 PM

4,385 posts, read 3,191,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I'm not familiar with Coventry. But I do believe it has urban areas (like bordering West Warwick on the eastern end). Of course western Coventry is rural.

No I mean Gansett Ave., at least much of it anyway.
I'm very familiar with Coventry, and never considered one inch of it "urban". The eastern part is more populated, but that hardly makes it urban, IMO. To compare it to some MA towns you may be familiar with, it's half as densely populated as Medway or Franklin and about 3/4 as densely populated as Seekonk. People who don't live in the woods have their mailboxes on their house, and the postman walks from house to house.

Is there no middle ground between rural and urban? Like "town" or "village" or "suburb"?

I guess we need to define ghetto as well. To me, it means an area with abandoned houses and stores, vacant lots that are being overtaken by weeds, garbage and glass, dilapidated housing, rampant graffiti, open drug sales, gangs and crime problems.

I've never seen any of that on Gansett Ave. It doesn't even have much housing, it's more of a commercial street with a lot of restaurants. So much of the land is taken up by the middle school fields, and I remember admiring the gardens at the houses across the street so I know they're not run down. All the storefronts are occupied except where Meatball Mike's was, and I think that's on Cranston St. I'm at a loss how it earns such a harsh term as ghetto. I don't think the residents deserve that. Is it the consignment store at the intersection with Cranston Street?

The other streets that QC mentioned - Potters, Public, Eddy, Broad - have nothing in common with Gansett.

I don't know, maybe you guys are thinking of Dyer? The duplexes over there look pretty bad.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:54 PM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Are we talking about the same Gansett Ave? Where the middle school track and field is, where Young Singh is?

Why would I have to roll up my windows there? I go walking at that track sometimes or enter the bike path over there and have never had any problems.
I'm talking the general area around there. The duplexes across the park from the school, let's say the tenants have changed since the last time I was there. While Gansett Ave. itself is mostly commercial, and it looks like the vacancies have increased. The Cranston St. end looks like a mess. Remember on another thread we were talking about the various "creeps" going on? I would say Gansett is in the crosshairs of the Olneyville/Cranston St. creep these days.

Someone who has been living there all along may not notice the changes. But one like me who sees it one year, then again 5-10 years down the road...It is happening all over RI and much of MA. Very sad.

Mr2448, why must race be inserted into everything in this forum? Trash has no color.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:58 PM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I'm very familiar with Coventry, and never considered one inch of it "urban". The eastern part is more populated, but that hardly makes it urban, IMO. To compare it to some MA towns you may be familiar with, it's half as densely populated as Medway or Franklin and about 3/4 as densely populated as Seekonk. People who don't live in the woods have their mailboxes on their house, and the postman walks from house to house.

Is there no middle ground between rural and urban? Like "town" or "village" or "suburb"?

I guess we need to define ghetto as well. To me, it means an area with abandoned houses and stores, vacant lots that are being overtaken by weeds, garbage and glass, dilapidated housing, rampant graffiti, open drug sales, gangs and crime problems.

I've never seen any of that on Gansett Ave. It doesn't even have much housing, it's more of a commercial street with a lot of restaurants. So much of the land is taken up by the middle school fields, and I remember admiring the gardens at the houses across the street so I know they're not run down. All the storefronts are occupied except where Meatball Mike's was, and I think that's on Cranston St. I'm at a loss how it earns such a harsh term as ghetto. I don't think the residents deserve that. Is it the consignment store at the intersection with Cranston Street?

The other streets that QC mentioned - Potters, Public, Eddy, Broad - have nothing in common with Gansett.

I don't know, maybe you guys are thinking of Dyer? The duplexes over there look pretty bad.
So you think that's a bad definition of urban? How would you classify it, by where sidewalks are?

Old 04-21-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I'm talking the general area around there. The duplexes across the park from the school, let's say the tenants have changed since the last time I was there. While Gansett Ave. itself is mostly commercial, and it looks like the vacancies have increased. The Cranston St. end looks like a mess. Remember on another thread we were talking about the various "creeps" going on? I would say Gansett is in the crosshairs of the Olneyville/Cranston St. creep these days.

Someone who has been living there all along may not notice the changes. But one like me who sees it one year, then again 5-10 years down the road...It is happening all over RI and much of MA. Very sad.

Mr2448, why must race be inserted into everything in this forum? Trash has no color.
Well, no one ever defined the "creep", unfortunately. I think the failure to define it is why it's often misinterpreted in a way you don't like.

So you're not talking about Gansett Ave, but the residents of the duplexes on a nearby street?

It's amazing that you can drive by twice in 10 years and know that the residents moved (even though you don't know the residents, not being from the area), and can discern from driving by that the new residents inside the houses are of bad character, are trash. Unfortunately, I was not blessed with any superhero skills like that! More's the pity.

What is it that makes the Cranston St end a mess?

Old 04-21-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
So you think that's a bad definition of urban? How would you classify it, by where sidewalks are?
No, I don't think sidewalks make a place urban. That's my point, actually.

You said places where mailmen walk instead of drive are urban, and I disagree. There are sidewalks in Dean Estates, in Wood Estates, in lots of places outside the city and mailmen walk.... That doesn't make these places urban, it makes them "town" as opposed to "country".

Old 04-22-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Let's say they want and need this: a safe 2-3 bedroom house, must have historic character with a small urban yard. Fixer ok. ***Neighborhood must be diverse by income and ethnicity. Budget: up to $300,000.

A few suggestions:

Pinecrest area, Benefit St. toward Central Av. in Pawtucket;
Neighborhoods bordering Slater Park in Pawtucket; parts of Darlington.
Some areas behind St. Teresa's Church off Newport Av. in Pawtucket.

Providence: Some areas off Hope St. in Prov., around Miriam Hospital to the east and west.
Some neighborhoods near St. Augustan's Parish in Providence; parts of Smith St., Fruit Hill etc.
Areas near LaSalle Academy, Prov. Areas around Grove St. and Broadway neighborhoods.

East Providence: Some parts of Kent Heights; older areas near Bay View Academy etc.; some neighborhoods off Warren Av. and So. Broadway.

Cranston: Garden City; Eden Park either side of Pontiac Av.; some neighborhoods in that triangle between Park Av. and Reservoir heading south, Calaman Av. etc.

Warwick: Greenwood, north or south of West Main Rd.; parts of Warwick off Rt. 5 past the hotels, still urban.

North Prov.: Neighborhoods off Mineral Spring Av. north towards Smithfield or Lincoln.

Cumberland: North of Dexter St., e.g. Meadowcrest subdivision, Marshall Av. to some parts south of Rt. 295. Some older neighborhoods off High St. Cumberland being St. Patrick's Church area.

I believe you have enough/several, to discern some of the areas that fit the criteria of, let's say the "Average middle income family". Hope this helps.

***It is against the law for me to discuss Fair Housing issues.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:21 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick;34469656
[COLOR=red
***It is against the law for me to discuss Fair Housing issues.[/color]
So you are still a realtor? I thought realtors had to designate themselves as such on CD forum?

Old 04-22-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
So you are still a realtor? I thought realtors had to designate themselves as such on CD forum?

That is none of your business Ms. Hollytree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island