Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 11:41 AM

4,385 posts, read 3,191,670 times

Advertisements

Independent man - I actually noticed that house recently. I had read that there was a public boat launch or boat house back there but I chickened out from driving down the lane because it looked private.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 11:46 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,054,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Independent man - I actually noticed that house recently. I had read that there was a public boat launch or boat house back there but I chickened out from driving down the lane because it looked private.
there were boat ramps behind the basefield fields on Niantic Ave.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:59 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,694,500 times
The spot with the house on the pond is 2 acres owned by the city and occupied by a caretaker. And the boat ramp there is closed to the public. As said, the ramps behind the fields on Niantic are public and open.

Truly a special spot in the city. It will always be owned by the city because the money used to buy it forbids its private sale by deed. The private look of the driveway is by intention. You can imagine the unsavory characters attracted to such a private urban place. The house left unoccupied for only a matter of weeks was almost destroyed years back.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
there were boat ramps behind the basefield fields on Niantic Ave.
Ah, ok. Everytime it's been mentioned for that river walk, they say "on Reservoir Ave" or "behind Job Lot on Reservoir Ave", so I took it literally, and thought that was the entrance.

Do you still live in the area, mr2448?

Old 03-26-2014, 04:59 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times
heh. i used to live right over there too.. pleasant st.
seems we're former neighbors here.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:37 PM

Ok, I just had something weird happen. I'm watching CNN discuss the missing Malaysian airplane and looking at Google maps at the house independent man described. I had it on satellite view. I scroll around and come across this shot, and I swear to God this is real and NOT some Photoshop job - I use google street view and satellite a lot and have never seen anything like this. Is some programmer pulling our leg?? Look at the satellite view of the Cal-Art parking lot on your own and tell me if you see the same thing as this screen shot I saved!

Old 03-26-2014, 11:49 PM

And here's the peninsula Independent Man was talking about - looks like there's three separate structures there.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:10 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,694,500 times
Quote:
And here's the peninsula Independent Man was talking about - looks like there's three separate structures there.
The 3 structures are, the house surrounded by lawn. To the right of the house and driveway is the boat house/garage and down by the water is a covered picnic building with facilities. The overhead pic. gives a perfect idea of how private and special the spot is. I feel lucky to have lived there, but without a caretaker and restrictions you can see how the house could be destroyed. It would be a hidden haven for illegal activity. I have stories not suitable for the fine audience who visits here.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:20 PM

171 posts, read 308,800 times
Quote:
Ok, I just had something weird happen. I'm watching CNN discuss the missing Malaysian airplane and looking at Google maps at the house independent man described. I had it on satellite view. I scroll around and come across this shot, and I swear to God this is real and NOT some Photoshop job - I use google street view and satellite a lot and have never seen anything like this. Is some programmer pulling our leg?? Look at the satellite view of the Cal-Art parking lot on your own and tell me if you see the same thing as this screen shot I saved!
I see it too. Strange.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:51 PM

228 posts, read 920,267 times
I suspect that the satellite imaged a plane in mid-air. Notice the red-blue shift in the plane's coloring from front to back. That would be expected from a push-broom imager where the target (airplane) is not near sea level, and is moving.

Pretty cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island